Newb looking for cheap lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newb looking for cheap lift

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
rampimpin
1984 CJ7 

Newb looking for cheap lift

I just acquired a 84 cj7 as of now it has 33" tires and looks tough but has stock suspension I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on it at this time since I spent all my money On this Jem not a big fan of body lifts wondering if there's another alternative to lifting to clear the 33 without breaking the bank thanks in advance

rampimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

A spring swap with yj springs . What I have and clears the 33's ok. I did trim the back a little to match my flares
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I had my OEM springs re-arced, and used add-a-leafs.
A 1" body lift doesn't hurt either.
LG
Unread 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
rampimpin
1984 CJ7 

Ok I will give that a shot any objection to a shackle or add a leaf lifts
rampimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
I had my OEM springs re-arced, and used add-a-leafs.
A 1" body lift doesn't hurt either.
LG
Agreed,I think the 1" body lift is a must. It greatly helps in your ability to work on the driveline. I've had jeeps with and without and will not have another without....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
A spring swap with yj springs . What I have and clears the 33's ok. I did trim the back a little to match my flares
If anything stock YJ springs will lower it. They have very little arch to them and it's definitely less than CJ springs.

Then there's the costs of the parts needed to use the wider YJ springs in front.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
4milechuck
1983 CJ8 

YJ to CJ Springs

Just completed this swap on my CJ-8 & while the ride is greatly enhanced over the CJ bump ride, the springs are not arched at all. Recommended 4 leaf on front & 5 leaf on rear leaves them almost flat. Stock shocks were used. My 31 10:50's easily clear but I'm only about 3" from bump stop rubber on axle housing. I went this way as wanted ride change (wife) & not a lift set (wife).
4milechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
my1986cj7
1986 CJ7 

I believe your best option would be a rough country 4" lift. They are fairly cheap,but do ride rough like the name. This is what I have on my 86 with 33/12.5/15 Duratracs. The lift will run around $450. May or may not be in your budget. But then there is the option of trimming the fender wells if you don't mind cutting out the fenders and altering the look of your body.
my1986cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Two weeks ago, I put in the Daystar one inch body lift for my 33s. Already had a 2 inch suspension lift. It wasn't hard at all if you have a floor jack. I had to lower the fan shroud and adjust the the shift linkage on my automatic tranny. Very easy to do and I like how it sits. Seems like there's not an appreciable gap in the back because there was already overlap of the body and frame. It lifted the back to be even. Looks very nice. The only pain was that I had to remove the fan and clutch and take the shroud out. I used a drum sander to modify the lower lip so the fan didn't hit when I put it back in. Drilled some new holes to lower the shroud an inch. I did notice that two of the bolts were larger sized. The kit included two sizes. Can't figure out why only two were different. It was the front and rear drivers side. I suppose the welded mounts had stripped over time and the larger bolts were needed to rethread. Anyway, it's tight and I'm pleased.
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.