New to Winch - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Winch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #46
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Some buddys of mine got stuck last year at night, both jeeps. They knew I has a bunch of gear, so they called. Well I was 1800 miles away at work. So I told em to call another freind of mine give him some beer and gas money, then go to my house and figure out a way to start my jeep. Take em both down there and get em out. One was barely stuck so once they had 3 free, they could yank the deep one out. They put some fuel in my jeep and I was happy. Some times you just gotta call a freind, sometimes you gotta buy people beer, sometimes....

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Wonderful, but out of the ordinary. Your friends are fortunate.

Moral of the story though, and I think we all agree, is don't get yourself into that kind of a jam in the first place.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #48
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Yes I did have to laugh at em on the phone for a good while before I came up with a plan.
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #49
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick

People actually pay a service to have someone unstick their jeeps? I personally like to rope many vehicles together and all pull at once, when there is no winch or hi lift. You can pull out the titanic that way. Or just 2 retarded 1/2 ton stock chevys. We had 4 vehicles roped together that day, it was super sloppy on that trail. Right after a snow melt, only the front vehicle had 2 tires on dry dirt. We also crossed a river that way all roped together, almost as good as those camel trophy boys.

Anyway moral of the story. A tow truck? Really?
Notice there is no CJ in any of the pics, i wasn't dumb enough to take mine out there!
It was a sheet of ice covered in a half inch of snow 2 miles past the "no motorized vehicles sign" everyone fell at least twice walking out. "A tow truck? really?" I figured someone would of said that about the snowcat that had to tow the tow truck out there, backwards lol. Since we couldn't even get one vehicle to it it's kind of hard to "tie a bunch together and pull out the titanic." The guy was a dumb as for being out there and I was a dumb as for ridding in the grand Cherokee out there, luckily he paid for it not me.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #50
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
Some times you just gotta call a freind, sometimes you gotta buy people beer, sometimes....
And sometimes those options still don't work. Not everyone is in their twenties where everyone is willing to help for beer and pizza. Some may be willing, but aren't able to drop everything related to their families to go help a buddy. If it were truly like that for everyone, their wouldn't be a need for tow trucks, so it's great that you have your own solution but there's no need to knock someone for doing what they had to do to get unstuck.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #51
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
Pssh my buddies buddy got me a free ride in a snowcat after he got his Wrangler stuck in UT last year and then my friend got his sisters Cherokee stuck trying to rescue him. $1600, a snowcat a wrecker,and 24 hours later he was finally out of the ditch a winch would have saved him from in the first place.
That area looks like its up logan canyon by Tonys Grove...
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #52
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markso125

That area looks like its up logan canyon by Tonys Grove...
Close! About 5-10 miles south, drawing a blank on the name at the moment though, in between Logan and Millville canyons. You used to be able to take it up Mt. Logan before it washed out a couple springs ago.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #53
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
Yeah, probably wouldn't take me 4 1/2 years to finish that.
Just go down to the local paint store and get the gayest blue the have.
After going to 5 or 6 paint supply places, a guy told me that "... copy-cat red had been hard to find since its popularity in the late '80s." So since I was out of luck on that, and to your point, I asked the guy for the "gayest blue" he had. But hey, I do like what you did there - the black and chrome Smittybilt bolt-ons really dragged your CJ's look from the late-80s into the mid-90s. ;-)

And, here's where I ended up. Maybe I'll mix-match a grille or mirror here and there for the really tough look. Any tips? Do you still have the knock-off winch stickers you peeled? That might do the trick ;-)

Unread 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #54
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Sounds like your a little jealous there Manhattan, sure I can hook you up with some stickers.
Speaking of paint shops, who did your bodywork, You, or did you have that done at a shop like having your brakes bled.
Jeep looks really happy in that pic, its waving back. Oh thats right its aftermarket too.
Whats those running boards made of, pine, and hows the view out of those omix ada mirrors, probably as wavy as your quarter panels.
Has it been off the paved streets yet? Sure is a pretty wind on that Warn winch, looks like its getting lots of use, be careful you might rub the paint off polishing it.
Yeah, your out of luck alright.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #55
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

"Gayest-blue" is actually called Frisco Blue fellas.
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
Whats those running boards made of, pine...
No, I used black walnut. Much harder than pine - better for rock rails, cages, etc. The walnut was tied into the cage (used bamboo there... obviously), the frame and the rear bumper to protect the bed. Here's a better shot:

Found a better picture of that crappy (W.O.) tub. One of these days, I'll get that body looking straight. Ooo! Maybe I can cover up all the flaws with stickers!
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #57
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

It won't look like a Jeep with out the spot weld dimples.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #58
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
It won't look like a Jeep with out the spot weld dimples.
So I should leave those - don't cover'em with stickers? ;-)
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #59
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I hate getting drawn into these arguments but I'm not smart enough to keep my opinion to myself. Everything has it's place and personally if I was going to buy a winch I would buy the Chinese garbage because I am not going to spend $1k on something I don't know that I will ever use and will more likely use to help someone else. I have Craftsman ratchets and screwdrivers, Dewalt power tools but I bought a Harbor Freight welder. The ROI wasn't there for me, and actually it has spent more time loaned out than I have used it. No matter what your parents told you, you are not special and you do not always deserve or need the best.

If you want insurance, carry a come along or a farm jack. Winches are not a necessity but a luxury. If you don't think so, watch a group of soldiers unstick a humvee with block and tackle.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #60
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
im only going to add this.
If your winching your friend up a incline like shown in the picture.Where a winch failure could cause injury or damage, what winch do you want. The $400 special, or the best one money could buy? Is it worth taking a chance?

Bill
This is one of those scenarios where I would say that you should probably spend the money! Unless you really don't like your "friend"

Tags
winch , winch accessories , winch bumper , winch install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.