New to Winch - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Winch

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00sarhara View Post
The moment you find out that your cheap chinese winch doesnt work is the moment you need it the most, what about when you need replacement parts? Saving money is always good but when you need to get off the trail or stuck a winch that will perform is priceless. The two major problems to cause a winch to fail is lack of use and abuse.
People need to understand that all things need maintainence, your Jeep, your car and your winch. You just don't jump in any rig and drive it and ecpect it to last forever.

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

The first thing I'd do is price out an off road recovery. They aint cheap and THEY'RE your comparison.

Figure out what kind of winch capacity you need. If you mud, you're going to need a heavier duty winch; MUCH heavier rated. Generally speaking, a safe sized winch is about 3 times your vehicle weight. Remember too that the winch rating is for the BOTTOM WRAP of your cable. Each wrap on the drum of your winch lessens its ability.

Don't count on being able to run your engine while winching. Vehicle angles, water, etc. can make running the engine impossible at worst, not desired at best.

Winching is more than owning a winch. It also means understanding basic concepts such as leverage. You also want to own a "recovery kit" with snatch blocks, slings, straps, etc. How many snatch blocks? I take four along with me, but some consider this overkill. They also don't believe you can pull yourself out backwards with enough snatch blocks.

I believe synthetic cable is nice, but not necessary. It certainly has its advantages such as being lighter and not storing energy so that if it snaps, it drops instead of flying through the air. I also think that it has disadvantages. It is more fragile and more suseptible to being damaged by rocks and logs. In my prior career, I did lot's of winch work working for a telecommunications company. All we ever used was steel cable except for pulling cable underground. We'd use a sandline there so that we didn't damage ductwork. Steel winch lines work just fine.

If you're buying a winch to look cool, buy what you want. If you're buying the winch to get yourself or your buddies out of a jam, save your money and buy the best you can. There are reasons why Ramsey and Warn are expensive, and they're good reasons like series wound so that they stay ccoler, higher ratings with heavier gearing, etc.
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #33
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

im only going to add this.
If your winching your friend up a incline like shown in the picture.Where a winch failure could cause injury or damage, what winch do you want. The $400 special, or the best one money could buy? Is it worth taking a chance?

Bill
img_0720.jpg   mijc_05-19-12_moab_clinton_biederman_098.jpg  
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I had read somewhere, and I don't remember where but it was on the net (and your not allowed to put anything on the net that isn't true, right?), that there are only 2 winch companies out there, Warn and I believe it was Ramsey. And they sell them to other companies to be rebranded and those folks add the remaining parts. If you look at all the winches out there in this newly created economy market, the base winch is the same but with different paint, clutch knobs, and solenoid boxes. So are we argueing a mute point? We may never know. But I'm sure the top of the line quality still would remain with those 2 companies, as will the higher prices.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I would stick to a name brand like Warn, Superwinch, or Ramsey. I have never had to buy a new winch as I have been very lucky to find used ones at great deals. The warn 8000 on my Jeep cost me $250 on ebay shipped and was in perfect condition. The warn 8000 on my sons scout I traded parts and labor for and works great. The 9500 Superwinch on my truck, I was in the right place at the right time and it was given to me. I've burned the motor up on it once but it was easy to find a replacement and it didn't cost a fortune. The costco special 8000 lb winch on my car hauler was given to me for usage time and has worked perfect for over 6 years but at the same time I wouldn't put it on one of my vehicle's, that and if it breaks I don't imagine it would be easy to find parts for. I agree with Windknot that the synthetic rope is probably pretty nice but I play in area's like lucdog pictured and at $200 plus for synthetic I'll stick with steel cable.
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #36
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
Just get the Engo and put a warn sticker on it. Thats what I did, works for me...
Here's your next project:

+

Unread 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post

+

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Too FUNNY, Manhattan.

(see below)....33 years old, been used a ton, never been re-built, and still operates and looks like new.

Who can say the same about their Mile Marker, Engo, or Harbor Freight winches?

Matt
winchrestore6.jpg   winchrestore3.jpg   winchrestore4.jpg   winchrestore7.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #39
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Isn't that what Chrysler uses in their Toledo plant?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #40
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
No it seems more like he got bitterly fired by Mile Marker
nope cant bring myself to do inferior work... Says the guy that builds airplanes and rockets.... But anyways I bought an old truck years ago when I was still a teenager and went out and bought everything the guy at Mr 4x4 told me too (they are out of buisness now) as shiny and as pretty as all the mile marker stuff was it just didnt hold up to wheeling in a half ton truck, wasted a good chunk of money on that chinese garbage.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I had read somewhere, and I don't remember where but it was on the net (and your not allowed to put anything on the net that isn't true, right?), that there are only 2 winch companies out there, Warn and I believe it was Ramsey. And they sell them to other companies to be rebranded and those folks add the remaining parts. If you look at all the winches out there in this newly created economy market, the base winch is the same but with different paint, clutch knobs, and solenoid boxes. So are we argueing a mute point? We may never know. But I'm sure the top of the line quality still would remain with those 2 companies, as will the higher prices.
The premium brand names like warn are built in the US (so part of that premium pricetag goes to giving Americans paychecks)
I believe superwinch is built in brazil and the US (I know their hubs use to be all built in Brazil. They were built by a company called AVG)

But...most of the cheap ones like mile marker, engo, and harbor freight are built in china.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #42
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

+

Yeah, probably wouldn't take me 4 1/2 years to finish that.
Just go down to the local paint store and get the gayest blue the have.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #43
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
The first thing I'd do is price out an off road recovery. They aint cheap and THEY'RE your comparison.
Pssh my buddies buddy got me a free ride in a snowcat after he got his Wrangler stuck in UT last year and then my friend got his sisters Cherokee stuck trying to rescue him. $1600, a snowcat a wrecker,and 24 hours later he was finally out of the ditch a winch would have saved him from in the first place.
image-3737300685.jpg   image-1134278558.jpg   image-1234325370.jpg  
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
Pssh my buddies buddy got me a free ride in a snowcat after he got his Wrangler stuck in UT last year and then my friend got his sisters Cherokee stuck trying to rescue him. $1600, a snowcat a wrecker,and 24 hours later he was finally out of the ditch a winch would have saved him from in the first place.
People actually pay a service to have someone unstick their jeeps? I personally like to rope many vehicles together and all pull at once, when there is no winch or hi lift. You can pull out the titanic that way. Or just 2 retarded 1/2 ton stock chevys. We had 4 vehicles roped together that day, it was super sloppy on that trail. Right after a snow melt, only the front vehicle had 2 tires on dry dirt. We also crossed a river that way all roped together, almost as good as those camel trophy boys.

Anyway moral of the story. A tow truck? Really?
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #45
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
People actually pay a service to have someone unstick their jeeps?...

Anyway moral of the story. A tow truck? Really?
Yes, really. And they aint cheap. It's hard to lash Jeeps together when there's only one or two of you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.