New to Winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Winch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

New to Winch

Hey guys, im planning to buy a Engo E9000 winch for my CJ7, i got a few questions.
A) Is this a good winch? i dont wanna waste a whole lot of money on a winch im barely ever gonna use but i dont wanna get anything to crappy.
B) Would i need to run double batteries or bigger altenator to hold the power use of the winch?
C) which mount would work good for this winch, or can i use any standard winch mount?

Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i bought a ramsey rep 8000 winch, ramsey also builds a mount kit for the jeep. made for a nice clean job

made mounting the winch onto the jeep much easier. you must have a good mount kit, as winches buildup a lot of pressure on the mount plate.

also, you should always pull straight if possible, the jeep frame is weak, you can bend the jeep frame before you know it when making a heavy pull.
jeep-pulling-trees.jpg  
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Bigger electronis is prefered, but for limited use, just a good newer battery is adequate, that being said I use my 12000 harbor freight winch all the time (for chevys) and run on the stock alternator and a marginally used battery.

A good mount is necesary like wellmax said, some winches will mount to the factor crossmember with drilling. Usually Ill mount a winch with a big 3/8 thick plate or some thick heavy channel. But alot of folks use the premade mounts, I just like to fab stuff.

As for the engos, they look better than the harbor freight ones(mines fine just the cable is frayed to hell). I am considering buying either their model with the built in air compressor for 400 or their 10,000 lb with the synthetic line for 435. Those prices I found at jeep hut. They also have a wire remote for an extra 20.

My biggest reccomendation is if you go with the steel line, take very good care of it. No kinks, no sharp angles, or hooking it to itself. Also watch that it doesnt pile up on one side of the spool. If not your hand will be full of tiny holes from frays.
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I'd have a hard time shelling out money for a winch I've never heard of. Even a used Warn is better than the lesser priced ones...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

I would love a warn, but I can give 600 for a base model 8000. And used, well they are good winches, and people keep good winches. I usually see a well used warn about 2 times a year and they usually ask about 400 or so. I think if warn makes such a good winch why is this guy selling it? Has he utterly ruined it and got it working enough for a unmounted test? I dont know. Say 400 plus a rebuild and you might as well get a new line we end up right back up there in the 600+ range.

Now if I ever see a 8274 used for under 300 I will be all over it and be willing to drop money on a nice line and build. But I cant spend more than a weeks paycheck to get a used base model winch off the ground.

Just my 2cents as a budget jeeper making 30k a year.
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Engo is made by Mile Marker. A number of guy's in my club have them so I will watch for a while and then pull the trigger on my own.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
Engo is made by Mile Marker. A number of guy's in my club have them so I will watch for a while and then pull the trigger on my own.
Well you just swayed my decision not to buy one, other then their hydraulic winches everything I have seen that is associated with Mile Marker is chinese garbage...
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

What is wrong with Mile Marker? I've had my MM 12000 for 10 years now with lots of abuse and it works fine. I've only replaced the remote last year because it gets beat up and thrown around. IMO, there is nothing wrong with them, a good alternative to a high priced one!
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am wrong. The guy in charge use to work for Mile Marker before starting this company.

Also, is there anyone besides Warn that is made in the US (probably not entirely)? There are several (Rugged Ridge, Smitty Built, Engo, Ramsey, Super Winch, Champion, whatever Harbor Freight sells) companies that have an under $500 8000 lbs plus winch option. I wonder are any of these brands the same? Are any better than the other? Can you get parts for any of them? Not trying to hijack but it's the question all of us are asking. I don't want to spend $1K for a winch nor can I afford it. But i don't want to by something that I might be in danger if I use it.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Anyone of them, including a Warn, can break. Some of it is maintainence, some of it abuse. But you are correct about getting parts and service, off brands might be hard to fix.

One thing I have noticed, the cheap brands have cheap cable! I think that is a lot of the price difference. The warn cable is is like a rope while others are stiff and poor quality. I put snythetic on my MM and I'm real happy with it.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

How about this...

For $479 + Free Shipping. Buy a knock-off center console. Buy a copy-cat bikini top. Don't be a test mule for recovery gear.
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Add a synthetic line to that warn and your at $700 and its still just a 8000. Plenty to recover a jeep for sure, But I like to pull out Chevys and heckle them. Thats why I went with my HF 12000 for $320 in store. However its line is trashed from over 100 nasty pulls. So I am looking at Engos 10000lb Synthetic for $435 with free shipping if its still avail.
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick
Add a synthetic line to that warn and your at $700 and its still just a 8000. Plenty to recover a jeep for sure, But I like to pull out Chevys and heckle them. Thats why I went with my HF 12000 for $320 in store. However its line is trashed from over 100 nasty pulls. So I am looking at Engos 10000lb Synthetic for $435 with free shipping if its still avail.
Why not just replace the cable?
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
Why not just replace the cable?
well a synthetic line usually cost near 200. And a new fairlead is at least 40. I could sell the winch to one of my buddys for a 100. At that point Im only shy of the engo I have my eye on. Then we would have 2 winches on our wheeling trips, a good one, and one with a pain of a cable incase mine is unavailable, in use, or under water.

Cables would be cheaper but Im honestly done with them, a rope is stronger and will not slice me every single time I use it.
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
What is wrong with Mile Marker? I've had my MM 12000 for 10 years now with lots of abuse and it works fine. I've only replaced the remote last year because it gets beat up and thrown around. IMO, there is nothing wrong with them, a good alternative to a high priced one!
All I can say is wow 10 years good on you. There is always someone that comes out of the woodwork and says I have one of those that has lasted for years and years. But for the rest of us all you have to do to check the quality of their winches is google mile marker winch problems and then see how easily parts are available.

Lets see as for the problems I have with their electric winches...cheap electronics that like to overheat and shut down the winch continuously requiring replacement of all electronic components, bad holding brake assemblies, ok ok the spring in the brake assembly tends to be horrible garbage and you cant just buy the replacement spring you have to buy the whole assembly....
Then you have to take into the account of the best assembly by the 13 year old chinese kids available things like not cleaning machinig chips out of gears when assembling and scarring up the housing and causing all sorts of problems.. You know if you look really closely at all of the mile marker winches they really and i mean really resemble the cheap winches you buy at harbor freight just with different stickers.

I will never run MM hubs anymore, even if you paid me, broke too many of them. Figured I would save a little going for a cheaper name brand but if I would have just bought one of the better names in the first place I wouldnt have had to replace the stuff so many times..

To give them credit, the hydraulic mile marker winches that are made in the US are actually awesome units, its just their general consumer chinese made products maintain the constant chinese made quality.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.