New Valve Cover - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
MudLover

New Valve Cover

Well, I finally found the oil leak I've been chasing for months. The rear of my valve cover is really cracked and it's leaking oil down the back of the engine. I just bought the replacement plastic valve cover from 4WD Hardware last night, but that doesn't mean I can't send it back. My question is...How hard is it to put one of those aluminum valve covers on? My mechanic says there's no way that I'm gonna be able to drill and tap the hole at the rear of the valve cover. How accurate is that statement? I almost always miss the first time I try to drill holes, so I'm kinda nervous about getting one. Anyone have one that's already drilled that they wanna sell me?

Thanks,
Marc

1979 CJ5 project
"Life is an issue of mind over matter. Ya see, I don't mind, and well...you don't matter."
Red Jeep Club Member #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Chad Churchill
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey..
the new Aluminum Valve cover is the best thing!
Dont put a plastic one back on.. really dont!
I did my drilling and Tap's it was easy I dont have one for you but.. there are alot of places that do like 4wd.com any local hard ware store should beable to help you out and tell you more about the tapping.. I donno why your mechanic would tell you that, lol or he just wants to do it for you so he can get some $$ out of it.. But it's not that hard and the plastic covers, just dont do it. lol

'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
post #3 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 02:05 PM
mean green

valve cover

don't reuse plastic cover they have always leaked and always will,i think i might have an extra crome cover i will have to check if i do i wont want much i'll let you know tonight or tomorrow

1985 cj-7,256, t-176,dana 300, dana 44's f & R ,detroit lockers f&r, 4.09 gears, soa with 4"suspension lift,2" shackle extention,shackle reversal,custom 3"x5" straight frame, custom roll cage with tire rack above, fiberglass body,35"s.s boggers,ramsey 8000lb winch
post #4 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 PM
jadams68

1984 CJ7 

Well you can first start off by telling your mechanic that you do NOT drill nor TAP the back hole of the valve cover. You don't even drill a hole in the valve cover, you drill the HEAD!

Secondly, send the plastic one back and get the 4WD aluminum cover. You have to drill about 1/2" deeper on 2 or 3 holes and then use a bottom tap on them.

I just did one of these a month ago and it came out perfectly.

Do a search or email me with questions and we'll get you going on this project.

-----------------------
I used to own two CJ's...Perhaps a 3rd is in the future?
post #5 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 03:36 PM
JeepingMoose

Am I missing something here? I put a Clifford aluminum cover (6=8) on my 83 head without tapping anything. Was I just a lucky ba*tard or ??

'76 CJ7 w/'83 258 ci w/MC 2150 carb, T150, Dana 20 T-case, 30F/AMC20 rear, stock gears, 31" Armstrongs, 2.5" Skyjacker, Bestop soft top...all in all, a work in progress!
New Purchase March 2003:
1976 J20-Built 360 w/Jacobs electronics, T18 tranny, Dana 20, D44 front, D60 rear, 3.73 gears, Detroit in rear...all for $475!!!! YeeHaw!!!
post #6 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 04:19 PM
jadams68

1984 CJ7 

Yeah you got lucky because they changed the bolt pattern on the 84-86 258s...

-----------------------
post #7 of 43 Old 04-01-2003, 04:36 PM
sampson9dk

i have an 85 CJ and put an aluminum valve cover. I did have to drill and tap 2 or 3 holes on one side of the head. Whats more...if you drill more than about1/2 inch into the head you hit the water ports in the head and anti freeze shoots out into your eyes. However Im still glad I made the switch. Just put a little sealer in with the bolts and everything worked out fine.

85 CJ7 minus the Carter Crapulator, the computer and everything associated with it, chevy HEI, Motorcraft 2150 aluminum valve cover and antifreeze in one eye.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-02-2003, 08:41 AM
livin2learn

I'm doing mine htis weekend....it shouldn't be a big deal. Although I can understand your worries, taking your time and being cautious of the drilling and tapping should make everything okay. I have plenty of tips given to me that I can share if you decide to do it. As far as not being able to get to that back hole on the rear of the head, you can take a floor jack and jack the back of the motor a bit to get a better approach on the hole. As far as going to far, measure your drill and taps, and put tape on the them so you don't go too deep. Simple. Another good tip I got was to buy a small doughnut magnet to put around the hole as you drill to cach all the metal shavings.
Good luck...don't sweat it. I am using it as an excuse to drink beer in the garage and play with power tools....I don;t even think mine is leaking. Just kidding, it is leaking, and am anxious because I ordered the vavle cover and have had it for a few weeks now, just haven;t had the time.
Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I6-258, T-4, 1" M.O.R.E. BL, RE 2.5", Weber Carb, 33" ProComp MT
post #9 of 43 Old 04-02-2003, 09:33 AM
jadams68

1984 CJ7 

good advice from Livin2learn...

also, make sure when you drill straight and level. Alot of guys say that you'll breach your waterjacket, but you have to drill a considerable amount to do that.

-----------------------
post #10 of 43 Old 04-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I definately agree with everyone here. The valve cover isn't hard to do at all. I had to drill 2 existing holes a little deeper than they were, then bottom tap them. I had to buy 2 new bolts because they changed the bolt size and the valve cover didn't come with the correct size for my head. No big deal though. Cost about a buck.

2004 Rubicon, 6" lift, 35s, winch, hard top, full doors, bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders.
post #11 of 43 Old 04-02-2003, 10:01 PM
mean green

sry man i looked and could not find valve cover must have sold it already. same as the other guy here i did not have to drill holes ethier. good luck

1985 cj-7,256, t-176,dana 300, dana 44's f & R ,detroit lockers f&r, 4.09 gears, soa with 4"suspension lift,2" shackle extention,shackle reversal,custom 3"x5" straight frame, custom roll cage with tire rack above, fiberglass body,35"s.s boggers,ramsey 8000lb winch
post #12 of 43 Old 04-03-2003, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
MudLover

Well, here's the deal. I got the plastic one in the mail today, and decided to go against what everyone has said (because I'm that stuborn) and I'm already regreting it. I can't get the thing to bolt down. The bolts on the side won't catch the head. Could it be the new seal that I put on with it? I really need to get this thing on soon, so any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I do intend to get a metal valve cover this summer.

Thanks,
Marc

1979 CJ5 project
"Life is an issue of mind over matter. Ya see, I don't mind, and well...you don't matter."
Red Jeep Club Member #2
post #13 of 43 Old 04-03-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
MudLover

Never mind, I got it to fit.

1979 CJ5 project
Red Jeep Club Member #2
post #14 of 43 Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 AM
sampson9dk

The problem is Jeeps are junk. I dont mean to offend...and my 85 CJ7 is a work in progress but I can say from experience that the 82 to 86 CJ7 are junk. They are a good concept and easy to work on which is good because they need work. Plastic valve covers, cardboard glove boxes, and dont get me started on that carter crapulator ...etc. When Im done with it,, it will be a great ride but not until I rebuild the whole thing....My stock plastic valve cover wasnt even bolted down properly. $$$$ and persistence is what it takes to make a Jeep a quality vehicle.

I do like your duct tape analogy

Last edited by sampson9dk; 04-04-2003 at 08:47 AM.
post #15 of 43 Old 04-04-2003, 09:17 AM
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by sampson9dk
The problem is Jeeps are junk. I dont mean to offend...and my 85 CJ7 is a work in progress but I can say from experience that the 82 to 86 CJ7 are junk.
let me guess, your "work in progress" 85 is where your experience comes from? you are talking bout vehicles that are around 20yrs old. there will be CJs on the road 20yrs from now still in stock form. treat a vehicle like crap, it dont matter what kind, and it will turn into junk by the time it reaches 20.

MudLover, the new seal you put on it is a one piece rubber gasket? if it is and you did it right you should be leak free for quite some time. yeah the plastic cover sux but the new one piece rubber gaskets last a couple years before they start to leak.

"character is doing the right thing even if nobody is looking"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.