New Transmission/Clutch Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Transmission/Clutch Problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
ryanrich
1985 CJ7 

New Transmission/Clutch Problems

Hi,

I recently swapped out my T5 for a Ford T19 with a Novak adapter. When installing the new transmission I also put in a new flywheel, clutch and bell housing as well as replaced all the clutch linkage.

Initially everything seems great when you bring it out -- shifts like butter through all the gears. The problem is that after it has been running for a while (maybe 6 or 7 miles) it starts to have trouble when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Sometimes it feels "notchy" going into 3rd, other times it will actually crunch going into 3rd. 1st and 2nd gear still seem to shift fine.

I am really struggling to figure out what is going on -- I don't know if there is an issue with the clutch dragging or if there is an issue with the transmission.

Things that I have tried:
  • Clutch free play adjustment -- I started this at 1" and have tried from 1.25" down to very little free play and it hasn't seemed to make any difference
  • Runout -- I brought the Jeep to my mechanic to have him check my work since this is the first time I have done an install on this and he said the runout was OK
  • Pilot bushing -- had the mechanic check this as well as I did put a little ding in it when trying to tap it into place, but he said it was ok

The one issue my mechanic did find was that I hadn't notched the skid plate quite enough in the front where the T19 sticks down and he thought this was pushing on it in an odd way. He notched the skid plate back further and added a drop to it as well (previous owner appears to have done a budget lift and there were also drive angle issues). This fixed a different noise I had, but the 2nd to 3rd gear shifting issue is still occurring.

I'm not sure what to do next -- what could cause it to start out working fine but then have trouble after it has warmed up? Appreciate any ideas people might have.

Thanks,
Ryan

ryanrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would try changing lubricants before tearing in to it.
Edit: What lubricant are you currently using?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
ryanrich
1985 CJ7 

I currently am using Sta-Lube 85w90 GL4 gear oil -- mainly because it was the only GL4 stuff I could find locally.
ryanrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch , swap , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.