new toy need some info, (HELP) please :) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new toy need some info, (HELP) please :)

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #61
Elkhound
1985 CJ7 

Most of the fun in tinkering with jeeps is learning there is so many ways to do thing and still come out with the same results. Just do your home work and all will be good with your project. It takes alot of planing and becarefull when you research your mods there are always hidden costs. fix those things that are dangerous then move to the "fun" stuff. It will take time but there is something realy cool about a huge a#* cj5.

Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #62
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post
Also keep in mind that the search feature you demonstrated is only available to paid members.
There is an easy way to solve that problem.........

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #63
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post
Also keep in mind that the search feature you demonstrated is only available to paid members. The google search is useless.
I actually did not know that. Knowing this makes it more worthwhile to take a couple of minutes to search on behalf of someone and then post a link or two.
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #64
joshuawcolvey

OK guys here is some information to work with. i am just trying to find out if i have stock springs or not and truelly cj7 springs. ok here is the informaton, now you know i am about .5-1 inch short of the stock cj87 wheelbase( maybe missmeasuring) so i did some more measuring today. the front springs are approx a hair over 44" center to center and are 4 spings in pack and 2" wide. The rear are approx a hair over 44" center to center and 4 springs in pack and 2.5" wide. now i was told on here that the springs on thier cj7 was 44.5" center to center (could this be b/c of maybe a sag issue or weight issue on the newness of the springs?) the lift kit blocks are 3" and the blocks on top of the axles are 3". Now it is truelly a spring over axle kit conversion that was used on this ordered off line. Has a wedge style block with a plate on the top and sides that weld in place to completel enclose around the rear and front end axles to make it one peice.... ALSO, so what can be said about how much lift i have here? how much lift do you get by doing a soa conversion. then i have 3" blocks then the 3" body lift. HELP HELP HELP... so r my springs stock?????
joshuawcolvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #65
joshuawcolvey

also just to note the front leaf spring shackle mounting point has been moved forward from what i can tell and the rear leaf spring shackle mounting point has been moved back from what i can tell.....
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #66
joshuawcolvey

ok so ran into another litle snag... I cannot find a soa kit or even the perches for a cj7 ar a cj5. Anyone know were i can get some for the jeep. I can get them for a yj i know. n e one know the difference from the yk to the cj as far as the purches will go....? like the diam of the axle tube maybe?

Last edited by joshuawcolvey; 01-14-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #67
joshuawcolvey

i bet everyone is getting tired of me asking questions huh? lol
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #68
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

cj5 and cj7 leaf springs are the same. Lots of places sell soa kits.
jeep cj spring over axle kits - Google Search
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #69
joshuawcolvey

Ok so this is where i get confused a little.. If the leafs are the same length then how is the wheelbase of my CJ5 the same as a CJ7? and why did they move the front leave spring shackle mounts forward and the rear leaf spring shacke mount back?

After talking to Rough Country yesterday i then did find out that the springs are the same lenght...
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #70
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawcolvey View Post
Ok so this is where i get confused a little.. If the leafs are the same length then how is the wheelbase of my CJ5 the same as a CJ7? and why did they move the front leave spring shackle mounts forward and the rear leaf spring shacke mount back?
Extending the wheelbase would have given them better approach and departure angles when rock crawling. If you don't plan to do any rock crawling, you probably don't need the extended wheelbase (unless you just like the way it looks.) I'm guessing they moved both the spring hangers and the shackle mounts to extend the wheelbase.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #71
joshuawcolvey

well i will take some pictures but to be honest iy really doesnt look like the moved the hangers just the shackle mounts, but they must have done a good job rewelding b/c it look almost stock i guess.

i look and take pics tonight.

Last edited by joshuawcolvey; 01-15-2010 at 03:47 PM..
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #72
joshuawcolvey

ok guys here it is. The complete front and rear hangers b een moved to make the cj7 wheelbase. So yes everyone is right i can use any cj5 or cj7 lift kit to complete what i am trying to do.
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #73
Boxcar
1974 CJ5 

Wow where to start? 20 rear for sure -no dobt at all. 30 front. what looks like 4" body lift (a no no) SOA and blocks. The SOA isn't a bad idea if done correctly BUT BLOCKS and an SOA are shear stupidity coupled whith the body lift and the long (3"?) shackals. This is a man killer. Perfect Jeep to lirn on. Look at your jeep, look at everything done to it. Then don"t do it again. It's all wrong. From the steering angle to the shock angle. SOA's require torque rods to prevent spring warp. NEVER BLOCK an SOA (spring over axal) I am not just trying to burn you here . This jeep is not going to work. It will never drive streight it will have incredible spring warp issues and you will grinade drivelines. Look at some of the build threads on this site or go to the tech threads and you can find all you need to know. If I can be of help just ask...(Just don't ask me to spell )
Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #74
joshuawcolvey

Yeah I have been told time and time again that this will not work even tho the saw I got it from has been crawling it for almost 2 years now. And now I understand y it wontwork and the dangers of it.thank u guysso much for the help so far.. I really do appriciate it...
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #75
Boxcar
1974 CJ5 

Ok I have some info for u: cj5 wheelbase 1954-1971 81" from 1972-1983 83.5" CJ7 All 93.4" I tryed to read all the coments to asertain what springs you have but honestly got confused.. From the looks of it you have stock cj5 front and eather cj7 or yj or 1/2 ton rears. Stock arch. In any event All can be corected with the proper lift. I am sure some people will disagree with me but I feel the need to help.... Let me quallify myself . I own a jeep shop and have ben building jeeps for 30 years LOTS A JEEPS.... In my opinion you are runnin way to much tire but if that's what u are into here goes. Loose it all back to the stock frame. Clean your axals back to the tubes or better yet get a good set of 44s fom a full size wag.Or better better yet get a pair of 60s and narrow them, LOTSA TIRE. Use a yj 6" all spring lift and perches. I like skyjacker soft rides, but choose what you like. You can buy an soa kit from quadratech but I wouldn't . An soa is basicly perches and and U bolts.Buy the parts from any supplyer . This will gain you 5 1/2" . Now pay attension an SOA is not an easy system to set up .Done right it requires that you reclock the axal tubes to correct your steering angle . Unless you like bump steer. You must drill out the plug welds that secure the tubes to the center section of the axal housing and then reclock your tubes back to the origanal steering angle. Go find a stock jeep and coppy the angle. Your center section or pinion angle must be adjusted to match your lift. All this info can be found in a simple serch on the web or this site in much more detail. Now get a shackal reverce kit from Quadratech or 4wd hardware or wherever. This will gain you an inch in the front. With a 1 " shackal in the back you will now have 12&1/2" of lift with no body lift........... Don't forget the touque rods ya gotta have em, or you will dust your new drive lines. Now to the steering . if you arn't lucky to have perchased a high steer front axal , convert the one you have to a high steer drill out your steering arms to axcept a good 3/4" hyme joint convert your tye rod to sed hyme joint ends this will allow you to install them on top of the arms. Get a 6"drop pitman. and 2 steering stabalizers. Now don't go cheap on the shocks RS 9000s are your best bang for the buck on a monster like this. And last but not least I would reserch a torsionall disconect swaybar With hub disconect you'r gonna need it. When you install your NEW REAR SPRING PERCHES slide them back to the desired location and WELD THEM ON do not bolt them on. This will require a new crossmember in the rear 2x4" x .025 tubing is your best bet, add a reciever hitch to the cross member at this time. Tie your steering box down with a cross frame tie bar kit. Or build your own . A high pinion set of axals would be great if you can find them. now if your drive train is up to the task you will have a fairly safe MONSTER JEEP. If this all sounds expensive thats because altitude costs large......I Know that I have missed at least a dozzen thing that you need but i'm tired and it's getting late and by the way you may have noticed I cant spell worth beans sory old guy handycap. I wish you well and good luck with the build .......Boxcar :Owner Resurection Iron Works , We Build Nothing But Jeeps...........

Last edited by Boxcar; 01-16-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.