new toy need some info, (HELP) please :) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new toy need some info, (HELP) please :)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #46
joshuawcolvey

Wow ELKHOUND Thank you alot for all the information, your thinking in about the same direction i am , i am going to start with the suspensions and steering first get all that settled then work to the driveline. I do not play hard n e ways, i baby my stuff more than i do much with it. Had a 92 xj with a long arm kit and i never mudded or trailed it lol.... but i am looking into using a yj lift kit and purches. The springs measure a hair over 44" from center to center front and rear and the wheel base center to center almost matches the cj7 by about 1/2 inch or so so i think the spings in rear are cj7. but if i use the yj lift then i really will nto ahev to mess with a whole lot just redo alot. lol...

joshuawcolvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #47
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

Wow, you may have stock springs all the way around.

Does the front hanger appear to be factory original or has it been relocated? If its original where is the 10 extra inches of wheelbase comming from?
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #48
joshuawcolvey

yes it looks like some one did a crappy job and moved the front hangers further out. Anyone know were i can get a set of hanger mounts for the front?
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #49
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

Out of curiosity, what size tires are on it now?
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #50
joshuawcolvey

39.5x15x15 tsl's
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #51
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawcolvey View Post
ok apparently i am overlooking it or searching wront, i did the google searcha nd it searches this site but i am not really comming up with anything?
Check out the following screen shot. Hopefully you'll see something similar when you click 'search':

It's just usually better to read all of the old posts on a subject than get people to provide a rehash of topics that have been covered before.
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #52
joshuawcolvey

man it would be cheaper to doa 4' body new shacles and new hangers and soa conversion to get the 12-13 inches of lift. but i dont like having a body lift, knocks almost 700 off the price if i use a 3 " body lift compared to all suspension...
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #53
Elkhound
1985 CJ7 

Here is my thought on searches. It is only my opinion and I'm sorry if it offends you. They only help me so much and sometimes the posts aren't exactly what I want to ask. This is what kills me when People don't want to cover info that has been covered if you don't want to help the guy out just don't answer anything. Sometimes there are links in the searches that my computer wont pull up. It will just say broken link and it will not come up. a lot of times it is not what I am looking for? Most people have lives and can't spend hours trying to search before they find the answer to what they are looking for. Sometimes it might even be a daily driver that they need to get going that day. Thats where places like this are really cool if I can't figure something out I will put in a question and then go start working on it and I will refer back to my post to see if anyone has some info to help. I'm not saying he shouldn't have to search for anything but if it is a safty issue maybe something you tell him will save him/her possible injury, or injury to others not saying to write him a full detailed answer but some general hey blocks aren't aren't safe because..... will help especially when it sounds like he might be thinking of driving it that way. Not all of us are Mechanics or even half way decent shade tree mechanics. Obviously or nobody would sell someone some thing as unsafe as this jeep is. Now if he was asking how to hook up something simple like how to put on a window crank ect. Then go search it by all means. But he was posting a pic and he didn't even know why block in the front aren't safe. he didn't really sound like he knows what exactly he is looking at so how would he search it if he doesn't know it is a problem? didn't this all start out with what kind of axles do I have??????????there are newbee's here and they need help just like the guys who have been working on jeeps all their lives. If the question you search isn't worded exactly right it won't come up either. I'm not trying to preach or give anyone any cr#* But I just think sometimes the search isn't effective and in this guy's case it deffinatly isn't. What is he supposed to search. Not that I even know a fraction of what others on here do. But I think we have to cut these guys some slack. Nothin is more frusterating than when you search and search for something and then finally ask a question and all you get is look it up. Well anyway like I said just my have a good one guys please don't flame me too badly
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #54
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawcolvey View Post
man it would be cheaper to doa 4' body new shacles and new hangers and soa conversion to get the 12-13 inches of lift. but i dont like having a body lift, knocks almost 700 off the price if i use a 3 " body lift compared to all suspension...
I'm not a big fasn of body lifts either.

If you have stock springs and 4" blocks, whouldn't you wind up at the same place if you use 4" lift springs soa?
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #55
joshuawcolvey

right now it is 4 iinch blocks, a soa kit, 4 inch lift blocks so its actually a little over 13 inches of lift, 5.5 inches from the sprinf over axle
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #56
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

I'm out of here for the night. Good luck with your build, and post a build thread when you get started.
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #57
joshuawcolvey

yep im about to hit it too, lol
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #58
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Check out the following screen shot. Hopefully you'll see something similar when you click 'search':

It's just usually better to read all of the old posts on a subject than get people to provide a rehash of topics that have been covered before.
I am with the original poster on the "forbidden" questions without a search.

If you don't want to answer a question, then don't.

Also keep in mind that the search feature you demonstrated is only available to paid members. The google search is useless.

I do think that if the topic is on the first few pages a new thread should not be started, but trying to dig up old threads to keep a few people from seeing one more thread seems like a waste as well.

I hope this does not sound negative since that is not what is meant.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #59
Elkhound
1985 CJ7 

Thanks ag maybe thats why the search never works for me I was unaware you had to be a pay member. I do definatly agree with you when you have to search 10 pages of info on stuff you don't need it is frustrating and it gets alittle hard when people just say search it lol I did didn't find what I wanted thats why I POSTED lol But for the most part people are generally more than helpfull. And I am very thankfull of that there is so much good and also bad info on the net sometimes it takes specific questions to get the right answer. And usually I will run it by someone I know before I just take it for the truth. I just wasn't sure if it was only me who was having a problem with the searches. I wil not hijack you topic anymore sorry
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #60
joshuawcolvey

Lol yes thank everyone every much for all the help so far, i hope there is more to come b/c gosh i know ill need mroe lol....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.