new toy need some info, (HELP) please :) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new toy need some info, (HELP) please :)

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

back out of this thread into the CJ technical forum and it is on the top right just above the post.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #17
joshuawcolvey

ok guys here is a new question, i want to completely redo the lift on this jeep,, and i still want or would liek to ahve the same amount of lift and clearance. what is the best way to go b/c the biggest sus lift i can find is 4 inches
joshuawcolvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
joshuawcolvey

also i am almost 100 percent sure the wheelbase has been extended to a cj7, so how would i determin this so i could get the right lift if i did order one?. it looks like a pacer was added to the back of the frame were the leafs mount on, it is dark but a close measurement shows about 95-96 inches fron center of hub to center of hub

Unread 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Holy Lack-of-Welders, Batman!!!

Ok, that just looks scary. Not ex-wife-scary, but at least day-time-tv scary. I'm not gonna say that welding it would make it safe and kosher, but I gotta believe that NOT welding that is way worse. Having your entire rear end, suspension and axel, held on with four (or is it eight, it's hard to tell in the pic, not that it matters) grade 5 (if you're lucky, they kinda look like 2's) bolts is a pretty good recipe for disaster. Even if you're gonna replace it all with a well-engineered solution, I would spend 20 minutes having that welded for the meantime, that or don't drive it.
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
joshuawcolvey

Lol yeah not driving it yet just a short trip b4 I bought it
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawcolvey View Post
also i am almost 100 percent sure the wheelbase has been extended to a cj7, so how would i determin this so i could get the right lift if i did order one?. it looks like a pacer was added to the back of the frame were the leafs mount on, it is dark but a close measurement shows about 95-96 inches fron center of hub to center of hub

Oh damn... Thats interesting
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #22
Bow-hunt-er
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
Oh damn... Thats interesting
Oh damn... Thats scary.
How good of a deal did you get?
Don't worry, theres alot of smart people on here that will help.

Last edited by Bow-hunt-er; 01-12-2010 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: ??
Bow-hunt-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #23
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

In regards to your lift question, the first thing that I would think needs to be done is to determine if it still on CJ springs. They may have been swapped to something else. This doens't mean that you can't go back to stock, but it may mean more work and fabbing.

As far as getting the height you want, going spring over axle gives you around 4 to 5 inches of lift with stock springs. If you put 4" lift springs over the axle you would be up there.

From looking at your pictures you have plenty of lift to clear the tires you are running now. You may be able to simply remove the blocks, and clean up the PO's installation and be fine with what you have but it is hard to tell from looking at pictures.

I would also check out that green hose peeking out from under the jeep in the back and make sure that it is not an open line from the fuel tank.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #24
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

def. get some welding done
check out the steering issues...thats gonna need some work for sure.
youre not gonna find a sus lift that high w/o leaving it SOA. this guy went to extremes with those blocks and 'compensated' for everything else around the lift.

looks like the rig as a whole is ok but you need to step back, do some forum searching, and find fixes for your weak points and saftey issues. with some time, sweat, and of course $$$, you'll be ok. should be a fun project to learn with!
take each area of the rig at a time and complete a project at a time. you're gonna run into other issues as you go, just make a list and tackle them as you can!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #25
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I would also check out that green hose peeking out from under the jeep in the back and make sure that it is not an open line from the fuel tank.
i'd be willing to bet, that's the PO's snorkel!

P.S. when you get a chance to figure out what ya got, fill out your profile for future reference of other JF users.

Mike D.

Last edited by twoleos617; 01-12-2010 at 06:38 AM..
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #26
joshuawcolvey

Thanks guys. Yeah I have no clue about the springs tho. How would I go about determining if they are still cj springs? Also I will stay with soa bc I do understand the lift part of that lol. I guess to start I just need to find out how to determin the prongs and go from there. And I did some looking to c y some people r saying not to use liftblocks on the front leafs but to b honest I am really not finding n e thing. Can some one help with that question? Thank you guys so so soooo much for the help so far and to come...
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
joshuawcolvey

Hey can n e one tell me if I can use Tj springs on this. I can get a Tj suspension lift in 8 inches and added to the soa it will be approv what I have now. Then I can take off the body lift. Also I will have to redo the spring perches but I have to redo them n e ways?
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #28
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawcolvey View Post
Hey can n e one tell me if I can use Tj springs on this. I can get a Tj suspension lift in 8 inches and added to the soa it will be approv what I have now. Then I can take off the body lift. Also I will have to redo the spring perches but I have to redo them n e ways?
TJ suspensions use Coil spring, not leaf. Lots of fabrication... engineering... I think it would be cool to do. If you go that route, you may consider coil overs.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
joshuawcolvey

i am sorry i hit the wrong button i ment YJ.
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
joshuawcolvey

sorry use a yj lift kit 6 inches, 5.5 spring perches for 5.5 inches (soa) then use 1-1/4 shackles for a total of 12.75 of lift. without any bodu lift will be almost what i have now, only correct lol.. I know i will have to use the yj perches. Are the yj leafs the same width as the cj?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.