New steering components - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New steering components

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

New steering components

Hey guys, I need to upgrade my drag link and tie rod, they are just way too small.. they look like electrical conduit pipe. It's only a matter of time before I get stranded on a trail because of them.

Anyone have any suggestions on who to use? I know a lot of companies make a lot of different parts.. I want something real beefy.

My steering knuckles are drilled out to 11/16" to accept inverted flanges so everything is above the knuckles. Do most people usually stick with the tie rod ends when upgrading? Or go to something better (whatever that may be, heim joint style maybe?)

Thanks guys.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Mike,

I bought the Big Daddy tie rod and drag link... It uses the stock ends. I did the did a tie rod flip while I was at it, using the GoFerIt inserts that have the taper built in.

Mike

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Okay sweet.. I think I've seen that before but I forgot about the big daddy stuff.. that looks like a good price. Looks like $179 + the two ends ($60).. so probably around $239+tax & shipping -- sound right?

Yeah I bought the flanges from downeastoffroad.com that go in from the bottom instead of the top like goferit's. They are the stock taper too so the BD will work nice.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
sgil77
1978 CJ7 

I bought the Big Daddy kit from Steering Linkage - WindRockOffroad.com. It was 141.95 plus shipping. Think It was like 154.00 total. Just came with one end for the drag link.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the Moog tie rod ends and the other drag link end that goes to the pitmam arm??
sgil77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

X3 for BigDaddy -
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

I did the same a gojeepin. Love it.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Same here. can't beat Big daddy.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Just got them today, installed tonight.. back is killing me but I'm gonna go eat pizza and forget about it. Those are some strong/heavy *** links.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.