New steering box and power steering pump=very tight steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New steering box and power steering pump=very tight steering?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

New steering box and power steering pump=very tight steering?

Well, my power steering pump starting making noise so I got around to getting to replacing that. Of course along the way I decided to go ahead and replace the steering box because I was tired of constantly adjusting it because of sloppy play and besides it was leaking pretty bad. I bought a reman gear box from a buddy of mine that was new and had been sitting on the shelf for about a year or 2. The power steering pump is reman from Auto Zone.

I got it all hooked back up and let it run for a while and bleed all the air out of the gear box and power steering lines. When I went for a test drive, to my surprise the box was extremely tight. It's driveable, but it's back to 2 hands on the wheel, and it no longer returns to center around a turn because it is so tight.

Just wondering, is this normal for a reman steering box, or is something possibly out of adjustment? Or is this steering box toast?

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

It sounds like there's still air in the lines. Run the engine, move the wheel lock to lock a few times and check the fluid level... if it drops, the air's coming from the lines.

It took me a few times of cycling the wheel before I got all the air out.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
heepzilla
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The box is set to tight. The hex head nut with an allen in the center. You need to crack the hex nut lose and back out the allen until the wheel moves free. If you go to far it will add slack to the steering. This happens a lot on rebuilt boxes.
Unread 05-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That top hex screw is 'not' the adjuster! If you play with that you will blow the box, that is the bearing preload setting and must be set off the frame using an inch pound torque wrench. The adjuster plug is the plug where the steering column goes into the box.

You are supposed to loosen the large lock nut on it, then tighten the plug until it sets, mark it, then back it off up to 1/2" from the mark or until the slop 'just' starts back in the side to side steering wheel play.

I have the PDF for doing a rebuild of the Saginaw power steering box with the setup directions if you would like it. It id for a TJ, but the only difference is we have a better one piece adjuster plug. The TJ 2 piece plug is a defect and leak waiting to happen.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Sorry, by tight I did not mean the play in the steering. The play seems to be adjusted just fine. I mean that the steering wheel is difficult to turn, almost like it's manual steering. The power steering pump seems to be pumping fine, but I'm going to run it some more and see if there's any more air that will bleed out.
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

They are right above the box is adjusted too tight
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
CSP

You can't tell if the box is adjusted tight from the information given.

What did you do to bleed the system out when it was all installed?

You really should have the front wheels off the ground and slowly cycle the steering wheel from stop to stop, adding fluid as needed until no foam is in the pump and the fluid level remains constant.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
sbrookes
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Same problem

Hey, I just joined the forum about 10 seconds ago to respond to this post because I am having the same problem. I'll need the forum anyway as I plan to modify my jeep a lot.

I have a 92 YJ. When I bought it with 275 k miles the power steering lines were leaking. I have a rebuilt jasper engine that has a remote reservoir so we replaced a total of 3 lines (pump to steering box, steering box to reservoir, and reservoir to pump) and the pump itself. Everything looked and worked great and it sat for about two days. Next time I tried to drive it the steering is suddenly INCREDIBLY tight - hard to turn. No leaks in the system that I can see and the fluid in the reservoir moves and has no bubbles.

Did you find that adjusting the steering box helped? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks so much!!!
sbrookes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A seized up front axle U-joint can give stiff steering issues. To test, jack it up, turn the wheel to the side and try to hand spin it. If it jams when turned, you likely have a bad u-joint.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Did you resolve this? I had a similar problem taking my resto on the road the first time the other week, turns out that once the new gearbox etc tool the fluid it needed, i didnt have enough in the resevoir. So i topped it up, re-bled it and it seems good now.

I do have a weeeeird issue, related, that someone might be able to help me with. If a steering belt is too tight, would it cause the fluid to heat up (ie take the cap off the ps resevoir and theres steam) as well as my steering shaft/wheels turning on their own? or are those signs of a poo poo pump?
dunnyCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
sbrookes
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up stripping the interior for other modifications so I havn't been driving it, but every now and then I start it up to see how the steering is doing. I just turn the wheel back and forth a bunch of times and every now and then it tightens up but then bubbles come up out of the resevior so I'm sure its just air in the lines.

As far as the other thing.... I never found my fluid to be heating up at any point just the pump itself when the bearings were bad.

This is what I've found with my own experience haha I am by no means claiming to know anything about any of this.
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

i could probably boil a hotdog in my resevoir after running it for 5 min…
dunnyCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
genghisman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a power steering pump go bad on a liberty. When I got the new pump on, I put the front on jack stands and turned the wheel a few times without resistance and it got all the air out.
Iraqi Freedom 3 and 5 Vet
genghisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
sbrookes
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Steering fluid hot dog?

Yummmmm
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
That top hex screw is 'not' the adjuster! If you play with that you will blow the box, that is the bearing preload setting and must be set off the frame using an inch pound torque wrench. The adjuster plug is the plug where the steering column goes into the box.

You are supposed to loosen the large lock nut on it, then tighten the plug until it sets, mark it, then back it off up to 1/2" from the mark or until the slop 'just' starts back in the side to side steering wheel play.

I have the PDF for doing a rebuild of the Saginaw power steering box with the setup directions if you would like it. It id for a TJ, but the only difference is we have a better one piece adjuster plug. The TJ 2 piece plug is a defect and leak waiting to happen.
Hey Mike,

Do you still have the pdf for doing the rebuild? If so could you pm me so I can give you my email?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.