new speedometer needed, which manufacturer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new speedometer needed, which manufacturer?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

new speedometer needed, which manufacturer?

Just picked up my jeep from the tranny guy. Speedometer doesn't work. It went out the same time as the tranny and I was told that he spun the gear but the guage wouldn't register properly. There's two brands I know of, Crown and Omix-ada. I don't know if they are made from the same place.

Does anyone have a recommendation for replacment? Brand? Has anyone used these two brands and they have been satisfactory. I read reviews on the Omix -ada on amazon and they weren't too favorable.

I'm pretty sure it's not the cable or transfer case adjustment plate. I wanted to post this question. I plan on looking at it this weekend to determine if it is the speedo or the gear housing. I just wanted to get the question out there so I can get some recommendations to get one on order.

delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When you spin the 'gear' whatever that means, I suspect a tranny part needed.

If you spin the 'cable' and the speedo doesn't read right, I suspect a strand on the cable has let go hitting on the casing I would be pulling out the cable core to examine that first. They are a cheap easy fix.

In one case when mine didn't read right, I had twisted her up really bad off road, bad enough I couldn't budge the shifter, had to winch out, I tagged the speedo cable case against the exhaust melting the inner plastic sheath so my inner cable was catching up.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Sorry I don't have better information. Scenario. Tranny went out. Speedometer read 45 always. Tranny fixed. Speedometer went to 35 and stuck. Tranny repairman told me he spun the cable and the speedometer fluttered back and fourth and then stuck.

I plan on looking at things this weekend. I just wanted to know if it is the speedometer, which brand, so I can get that question asked already. I'll check the cable for kinks, the transfer case housing to make sure it's ok and the speedo gear to make sure the gear looks good. I'll also make sure the cable it pushed in, inside greased and well fitted to the speedometer. I'll check all that, just want to know what to replace it with if I have to. So far, after doing a search. I've read the aftermarket ones are crap. ...and to find an OEM.
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

You could always get yours rebuilt. There's a couple guys I read about on here in similar threads that will do Jeep units. I think one guy his website is all about Broncos. I called him and asked if he could do CJ's and he said he does a lot. I think he charges 100 or a little more to clean it, test it, and minor fixes. Anything needing replacing will be more. You can do a lot of the checks/cleaning yourself with the 2-3 instruction databases floating around online. They are pretty comprehensive and tell you how to check all the signals/voltages/resistances/etc...

As far as non-OEM aftermarket, you'll be looking at quite a bit of money if you don't go with Crown or Omix...like $600-$800 for a gauge cluster set. Or you can get an OEM-looking GPS style unit for about $450. If you are budget concsious, I would say either budget brand will probably be similar. Try to buy from a retailer with the best warranty I guess, so if it breaks or doesn't work right, you can return. Personally I took mine apart and inspected/cleaned and am going to try and use as is. If I need to replace I will go with a 125 Crown one most likely.

I think I answered your question, and gave you some other options as well. There are a coup
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

I'm sure some people have great luck with the crown ones, but on the one I got the gears in the speedo failed and destroyed each other within 80 miles of use. Maybe they would have replaced it if I had called them, but I went back with an original one.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

I'm ok with electronic. But I'd like to keep the original look of things. If there's an electronic clone. Otherwise, I want to keep original look. It's what I love about my 1982 Laredo. I could try the crown and I guess if it goes out, there's a warranty. Not sure how long though.
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Speedhut all the way. Stock look and much better quality than Crown or Omix.
http://www.speedhut.com/jeep_cluster.html
Mr. Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boh View Post
Speedhut all the way. Stock look and much better quality than Crown or Omix.
http://www.speedhut.com/jeep_cluster.html
That is so nice. No calibration. I'll have to pray about it.
Unread 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Ok, follow up. Just got home. Put the cable on a drill and noticed that the speedometer would function normally. I pushed the inside cable towards the speedometer to make sure it was engaging the speedometer at its fitting. Notice that If I did this, I could recreate the problem. When I had 33 inch tires put on the jeep, I had a new speedo gear installed. Evidently, the gear shaft of the speedometer is a little longer and causing the speedometer to bind. So. I trimmed 1/4 inch off the inner cable at the transfer case and problem solved. Evidently tightening down the cable to the housing was putting the speedometer in a bind as the inner cable translated towards the speedometer.

It also solved the back and forth bobbing of the speedometer I had been experiencing. And I guess if you are experiencing the bobbing or swaying of the speedometer needle, unscrew the cable from the transfer case to make sure it not putting the speedometer in a bind. I've read that if the inner cable is at too sharp an angle, such as routing the cable too sharply or binding the cable and causing the inner cable to bow, will cause the bobbing of the speedometer needle.

Cheapest fix was trimming 1/4 in. off the inner cable
Unread 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Funny, you are the 3rd poster recently with that exact same problem. The cable cores are usually universal and need to be cut to length. 1/4" shorter than bottomed out it would seem.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.