JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   New soft top for a '84 CJ7 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/new-soft-top-84-cj7-1358080/)

diddy2003 04-17-2012 07:00 PM

New soft top for a '84 CJ7

Any suggestions? I bought my Jeep without anything for a soft top, so I need a complete kit. I have full size hard doors, and half steel doors, but I but I am not going to use them. I would like tinted windows and I think it would look the best if the top was black. What are you guys running and what do you recommend? The tub is from a YJ, but I don't really think that matters. This is the one I was thinking about.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11002_6XX_PG.htm

I was thinking of just getting that one but are any of you guys using those fabric doors they offer?

I am just looking for the best soft top option. Thanks.

Also, I really wanted to get a top with the sail cloth, but it doesn't look like anything is offered with that. Bummer.

:cheers2:

row684 04-17-2012 07:05 PM

That's about what I'm looking to get too but with the soft doors, any reviews JF?

gmgreen 04-17-2012 07:18 PM

That's what I put on my CJ except without the tinted windows. Mine has the two piece soft doors. They are adjustable to fit and the install wasn't too bad. In fact, I just took it off tonight. Weather is supposed to be good the next couple of days.

waterdowg 04-17-2012 07:20 PM

Rampage makes a complete top without doors. I description says sailcloth. Morris 4x4 has them but they market them for YJ not CJ, butI don't think it make a difference. It about $100 less them the Bestop you looking at.

nolefansjeep 04-17-2012 07:54 PM

I bought a Bestop with the two piece soft doors and I am very pleased with it. The problem I think with the other brands is that there is little to no replacement parts, so if something breaks you may have to buy a whole new top.

diddy2003 04-17-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterdowg (Post 13427591)
Rampage makes a complete top without doors. I description says sailcloth. Morris 4x4 has them but they market them for YJ not CJ, butI don't think it make a difference. It about $100 less them the Bestop you looking at.

Is that this one?:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rampage...1987-1995.html

Looks great. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? I mean, the tubs are the same but my roll bar is completely different. I know hard tops are interchangeable, but I never read anything about the soft tops.

wellmax 04-17-2012 08:18 PM

looks good,
i had a bestop on an old landcrusier once and it was a great top, came with soft doors and zip down windows in the doors.

look good on the old crusier.

my current jeep 1984, has a hard top and mini soft top that only covers windshield to roll bar, but i seldom use either tops.
just go topless.

weehce 04-17-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy2003
Any suggestions? I bought my Jeep without anything for a soft top, so I need a complete kit. I have full size hard doors, and half steel doors, but I but I am not going to use them. I would like tinted windows and I think it would look the best if the top was black. What are you guys running and what do you recommend? The tub is from a YJ, but I don't really think that matters. This is the one I was thinking about.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11002_6XX_PG.htm

I was thinking of just getting that one but are any of you guys using those fabric doors they offer?

I am just looking for the best soft top option. Thanks.

Also, I really wanted to get a top with the sail cloth, but it doesn't look like anything is offered with that. Bummer.

:cheers2:

I have the same top without the tinted windows and I have the two piece soft doors. It was on my 7 when I purchased it from the PO. So far it has been a good top. It's nice because you can remove the doors and all the windows and have a safari top. No rolling up the side and back windows with this top. My Jeep also came with the original factory soft top hardware and doors. I have been playing with the idea of going back to this when the super top wears out. Haven't decided yet
The old add-age you get what you pay for apply here. Soft tops are not cheap. It pays to do your research before you buy, if you buy new. You may want to look at Craigslist, here in the Dallas area we see tops come up periodically.
Could be a good source for a good use soft top.

waterdowg 04-18-2012 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes that is the top. I don't see a reason why it would not work. Only thing that confusses me is it claims that the 1987 YJ requires a door channel. Not sure what this an why and if it would be needed on the CJ.
Edit:
Here it is from Quadratec. The installation instructions are on there sie. The instrutions say it works with a CJ but with modifications. Here is a picture of the mod. It's only using different screws.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11009_1235_07.htm

WindKnot 04-18-2012 05:50 AM

I'm very happy with my Best Top with the fabric doors. It really does keep me pretty dry. I actually will sit in mine while running it through an automated brushless car wash.

When I do though, it DOES leak a small bit at the corners of the windshield and just a tad at the doors. But considering that the water pressure I figure is approaching tropical storm strength, that's pretty darn good! But no leaking through the zippers or the fabric!

To be fair, I'm not completely crazy as I don't have carpet in my Jeep. The top the OP posted is the one I have. I like the two piece doors and since I usually run with a back seat for my grandkids, I usually just zip all the windows out and run it that way during the summer and nevermind the
Bikini top.

I have the tinted windows and I like it a lot.

diddy2003 04-18-2012 06:02 AM

That bracket has to be because of the family roll bar that the CJ doesn't have. I will call them and ask. I think sail cloth would be better, but is it really? I have heard nothing but good things about the super top. I really don't feel like drilling my windshield frame but if that's the only difference then that really isn't all that bad.

For the guys with the soft doors, do you use them or do you prefer your hard doors? For the cost difference are they worth it?

weehce 04-18-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy2003
That bracket has to be because of the family roll bar that the CJ doesn't have. I will call them and ask. I think sail cloth would be better, but is it really? I have heard nothing but good things about the super top. I really don't feel like drilling my windshield frame but if that's the only difference then that really isn't all that bad.

For the guys with the soft doors, do you use them or do you prefer your hard doors? For the cost difference are they worth it?

I have the soft doors I like them. I would recommend both. Then you have the options! My 2bits.

wm69 04-18-2012 09:43 AM

I have the Supertop. Love it. Got mine in 2002 and it's still in great shape (Jeep is in a carport so not out in the weather). I have full steel doors I run in the winter, and 2 piece doors that came with the top that I run in the summer. I would get the Supertop WITH the two piece doors OR you could get the Supertop for a YJ with uppers for your YJ 1/2 doors. YJ and CJ7 tops are the same. Top would be a little cheaper if you only got the uppers for your factory steel 1/2 doors. Either way, I've seen lots of softop designs over the years and the supertop is the best of all of them IMO.
Look around for pricing. I got mine from JC Whitney, who are usually HIGH on prices, but they had a 15% off coupon in a catalog so the coupon dropped the price down around $100. They were initally higher priced than anywhere else, but with the coupon I saved about $50 over the next lowest price I could find.

CowboyT2 04-18-2012 09:53 AM

I just purchased the Supertop a month age, installed it in an hour and love it. Two piece doors with tinted windows. I like the fact that it turns into a Safari top because I have my two kids in the back but if they are not riding I can drop it down in less than five minutes.

DrG123 04-18-2012 10:53 AM

I found the rampage soft top (for full hard doors) on ebay for around 425.
Some drilling to install (81 cj7) but am very pleased with it. My buddy who helped me has had several jeeps and he liked it better than the best top. Has zipper map compartments, double window zippers, and included all hardware. I got mine with tinted windows. Very pleased with it.

The time now is 05:11 AM.