New soft top. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New soft top.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

New soft top.

I've finally saved up some money and I'm ready to buy a soft top for my 86 CJ-7 if spring ever comes. It came with a hard top and full hard doors. I'm looking at the Bestop 51599-01 Supertop. It supposed to come with all the hardware which I don't have, and I can use my hard doors. The price is right too. Anyone have this top? Is it any good? How hard is it to install?

wsmutch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
wm69

I've had a Supertop for about 10 years. Love it. Supposedly production was moved to mexico and the quality went down somewhat, but what are really your other options?

I got the Supertop with 2 piece soft doors for a YJ. It fits a CJ fine, and that way the soft doors close on your existing hard door striker pins.

I run top with full steel doors in the winter, top with two piece soft doors in the spring and fall (lower doors on, top of doors behind the back seat, under the folded down top in case I want to button it up if it gets chilly) and no doors in the summer.

Cheaper to buy the doors with a top as opposed to buying the doors later on. I would also recommend getting tinted windows on your top.

Easy to install, does require drilling.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
dannylee
1982 CJ8 

You will want to research the threads previously posted on this ( and there are a lot of them) Besttop is now fabricated in Mexico, many do not fit so good, some do. Your roll of the dice.
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

I really like mine. It was a pain to put on outside in the winter and thats why it will stay on its whole life but once evrything is buttoned up and no gaps anywhere, it real nice. Im glad mine didnt have any difficulties like some of the other guys have had.
Chance85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
RWise
1981 CJ5 

I got a best top, just the skins for my OEM hard ware. Fit was near perfect, the snaps that had been moved I had to move back to their OEM position. Only 2had to be drilled, but no snap had ever been there. Sure bets a bikini in the snow,,,
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
I got a best top, just the skins for my OEM hard ware. Fit was near perfect, the snaps that had been moved I had to move back to their OEM position. Only 2had to be drilled, but no snap had ever been there. Sure bets a bikini in the snow,,,
You got a snap on top? From where? I didnt see any...
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

^^^^^What he said.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
jdcaples
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance85 View Post
You got a snap on top? From where? I didnt see any...
RWise has an '81 CJ5 according to his profile.

Maybe he bought the Replace-A-Top?

The instructions for the Bestop's Replace-A-Top for CJ5 (SKU 51117-01) say
Quote:
Note: The snap placement on the top is the same as the original top. However, due to the installation variances, fabric stretch and manufacturing tolerances, it is possible that some of the snaps will not line up exactly. Therefore, we have included a few extra snaps and screws for the body in case you should find it necessary to move one or more snaps. These may also be used if you have broken snaps from your original top.
I think the Tigertop also uses snaps.

-Jon
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Does anybody know if there are any Cj7 snap on tops? Somebody could be making some money if they started them... My renegade has the snaps on its tub and I wish I could find a snap on top so the snaps arent showing under the top..
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

My TigerTop has snaps. The snap caps in the top are covered with a hem.
chet44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I wish they would sell the OEM hardware with the replace a tops. I would love to find one of the old convertible style tops they used to sell as well. I'm not a fan of the new soft tops with channels. My dad has one for his tj and its a pain in the ***.

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwig12 View Post
I wish they would sell the OEM hardware with the replace a tops. I would love to find one of the old convertible style tops they used to sell as well. I'm not a fan of the new soft tops with channels. My dad has one for his tj and its a pain in the ***.
I have a new top with the channels too. They are a pain..And it doesnt look good with the snap pieces under the tops edge..
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

How about the softopper? I am looking real hard at getting one as I am done with Bestop...
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
How about the softopper? I am looking real hard at getting one as I am done with Bestop...
I've never heard of softtopper, do they supply anything that a CJ7 would be able to use? I only saw Wranglers soft top models and the one I looked at was bowless.

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

I have a family bar in mine so yes your right it is for a yj. I just wasn't thinking again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.