New shackles not straight? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New shackles not straight?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

New shackles not straight?

I just finished installing some new 4 inch shackles from Crabtree Tool. Excellent quality and easy to order. The wierd thing is now that they are installed the both seem to kick out to the sides. Is this normal or is something else bent? Opinions or suggestions?

10129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

Looks like maybe you tightened the shackles too much or you need to cut the spacer in the middle down a little bit.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Did you change any of the other spring mounting points?

The shackles will point laterally outward at the spring if your mounting points from the frame to the axle to the shackle aren't inline with the frame.

As an example:
1) If your springs are mounted 27.5" apart at the frame (spring eye)
2) If your springs are 28" apart at the axle perch
3) The shackle's frame mount is 27.5" apart.
4) Your shackles will lean outward (the springs will be about 28.5" apart at the shackle)

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

No, I just removed the stock shackles and put these on.
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
zillla
1975 CJ5 

How about the stationary shackles?

It kinda looks to me like the hangers are not square.. or possible you have the wrong shackles. I'd remove the center bar and have a look see.

What year Jeep?
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Rear shackles mounted on the front it looks like to me.

Also loosen U-bolts to get everything lined up and retighten perhaps?

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Rear shackles mounted on the front it looks like to me.

Also loosen U-bolts to get everything lined up and retighten perhaps?
+1
Also snug everything up nice, while on jackstands and TQ to spec while it has its' own weight on it. I don't even know if it matters, but it looks like MAYBE some nuts are run down the bolt more than others, but that could be my bad eyesight. The nuns warned me about that!
Also check to see if the grease fittings are facing in the easiest direction to service. W/O looking at mine, or better yet ANYBODY elses,....I can't say yours are wrong.
Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
zillla
1975 CJ5 

The next thing I would do is loosen up all the bolts and remove the center brace, then retorque and see what it looks like. . The center brace length being incorrect is the only thing that makes sense.. I have the same thing only made by M.O.R.E and mine look straight.

One m ore thing. Did you install the metal sleeves in all the bushings?
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
The next thing I would do is loosen up all the bolts and remove the center brace, then retorque and see what it looks like. . The center brace length being incorrect is the only thing that makes sense.. I have the same thing only made by M.O.R.E and mine look straight.

One m ore thing. Did you install the metal sleeves in all the bushings?
No sleeves in these bushing, the bolt shank is 1/2" dia, larger than the stock setup.

I have the same shackles and found the center sleeve to be a bit too wide for the brand of bushings I was using (Daystar maybe?). I don't know if there are differences between brands or what the original shackle design was measured for, but for the time being, I left the sleeve out and just installed the center bolt. Did the same thing as everyone has mentioned and jacked it up, loosen u-bolts, snug the bushings, retorque u-bolts. Seems a little better, but I have not put a lot of miles on it since then. I need to beat on the suspension a bit and see where it sits after that.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I can see the problem in the pic below which I got from Crabtree's site. w/o the sleeve the bushings will collapse if tightened too far.. I am not impressed with this design..

Unread 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla
I can see the problem in the pic below which I got from Crabtree's site. w/o the sleeve the bushings will collapse if tightened too far.. I am not impressed with this design..
That would have nothing to do with the problem. The issue the OP is having is that the shackles are leaning laterally like so /-/......not that they are bowed (-).
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I don't think you've done anything wrong. What I notice is that the ends of the shackles are drawn in more than the center. I've seen this is some stock hangers and some springs, they're actually narrower than the center brace. If you're careful you can grind the center brace off a bit to take care of that problem.

The lean could be several things. Several customers have had that and found that the hanger itself was not sitting on the frame flat or that the frame was bent where the hanger bolts on. That's pretty normal. Hard to fix right though. Another thing to try, as has been mentioned, is to loosen the u-bolts and see if the weight of the CJ will settle them onto place. You may even need to push or pull the spring into alignment.

Another thing that is common is that the hanger itself is twisted. This seems to be the most common. New hangers are the fix for this, not new factory ones though and there's some good aftermarket ones being made too. In going back and looking at the pictures some more I think the springs need moved towards the center of the axle to better align things. I'd try that first. You have any long clamps that would reach from each spring to the other? You won't be able to move them much because of the spring pack bolts that extend into the spring perches but there might be enough play there to help the problem. It won't take much there to make a bigger difference at the end of the spring. Springs can twist too. Oh and take a tape measure and measure the outside distance on the springs where they mount of the stationary hangers then check at the spring perch and the then the shackle end of the spring. All three should be the same and from the pictures you post they don't appear to be.

Hope that's helpful
Jim
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

If you think that is not straight, just wait till you're flexing on the trail haha. Yeah I can see where the one side is kicked out more than the other. Thats caused by either a shackle twisted, or spring perches too far apart - they they kick outboard on the leaf spring end. I see you tightened down the leaf spring side a little too much on both. Oh well, check your shackle mount for any issues and if all is well then don't even worry about it - non issue. Actually it looks like a fairly decent setup they sold you. The nylon locking nuts will help keep every thing together.

I went with good ole rubber bushing instead of poly. Rubber gives, poly don't. I want as much flex as I can get, even at the expense of having to replace the rubber bushings more frequently - they don't last as long as poly. I'm going for max flex. It all depends on what you are wanting out of your rig.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #14

So I took the center bolts and sleeves out and retorqued the ends. Then I went for a short drive and found a hill I could flex it on in both directions. i also loosened all the shackle bolts and used a ratchet strap to pull the springs together just a hair. I retorqued everything leaving out the center bolts and it looks like they have straightened up some. i reinstalled the center bolts and sleeves and retorqued everything. We've got a trail ride this Sunday that'll really break them in so I'll look at how they are lining up after that.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll keep you posted.
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Looks bowed to me..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.