New project - 86 CJ7 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New project - 86 CJ7

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #61
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

The project is really slowing down now, which is great because the new babies are taking my focus these days. I have the reverse lights sorted, installed a tach that I got in my box of parts when I bought the project (though I had to paint the trim ring silver), installed my new steering wheel wrap, and FINALLY got my glove box lock apart and transferred to my painted door! Interior is 99% done. Rear seat belts need to be bolted down, and that is about all I can think of.

Sport wrap off Amazon:

Pic of the lock tumblers for anyone else struggling to remove one:

And the tach finally in place as I was mounting and wiring it:

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #62
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Looks good Hall. I need to catch up- you gonna put a dashpad in or just get a cover for the wiper motor? I took a pretty nice pad off, but I'm not going to put it back on. I think the wiper cover just looks cleaner.

Chris
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Looks good Hall. I need to catch up- you gonna put a dashpad in or just get a cover for the wiper motor? I took a pretty nice pad off, but I'm not going to put it back on. I think the wiper cover just looks cleaner.

Chris
I have a nice black dash pad, but think i will go wiper cover only. I like the simple clean look.
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #64
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Chasing down last things. Rewired headlights with relays, hooked up electric choke, bolted rear seat and seat belts down, added power distribution block under hood for accessories.

Need to install door latches and that wraps up current list of tasks.

My seperate thread around headlight wiring and adding relays. On page 2 I made the decision to buy premade harness from Summit. Was an easy project, though I ended up shortening the driver's side to eliminate slack between headlights. I also took the time to add a "hot" power bar on passenger fender to route all future electric accessories through. HUGE upgrade in lighting power when coupled with the Silverstar headlights.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...33/index2.html

imag0698.jpg
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #65
1983 CJ7 

Great build
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #66
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Not much to note here, though I did install lower door hinges (drilled, epoxied, re-drilled), finally drained water and replaced with coolant, and changed the T5's fluid.

I need to adjust auto choke to keep it on a bit longer, install door latches, and play with brakes to get the brake failure light off. Probably need to re-bleed the rears to solve. Washer pump is working, though I need to drill some holes to mount some sprayers. 1 of the set I grabbed from junkyard doesn't spray, so off to find another model I like. The Jeep is running fantastic, all gauges and lights work (still).

I also just updated my build thread throughout the entire thing, linking to my sub posts along the way to help consolidate my build and questions for anyone following along. I had some very helpful posts regarding wiring and body installation that weren't part of this original build thread.
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #67
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

And I FINALLY got my door latches installed. Took a little bit of time, but overall not as bad as I expected. I took the advice of another write up I read, and hacked the threaded studs off the backside of the latch and through-bolted it. Much easier and less fear of cutting through the 2nd tub wall.

And some pics of the process:

Back side with the threaded nubs ground off:

Installed from the outside:

Inside:

And in use:

And because I can... a pic of the twins out for a stroll at the mall with my wife this morning. Hard to believe they are already 2.5 months old.
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #68
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Grand Cherokee was heading to the shop to replace a sensor in the front differential (I gave up on that job), so CJ is in DD status, this time with rain in the forecast. This will be a first.

A friend came by and helped me re-bleed the CJ brakes and I FINALLY got the dash brake light off. While the rear wheels were off, I primed and painted the rear drums black to prevent rust. Small job that I never got around to while installing the new rear brakes.

Now that the dash "BRAKE" light is off, I can't get it to come on with the parking brake set. I jumped the wire to a ground and it came on, but not with the switch. Probably a ground issue on the parking brake bracket or the switch adjustment. Any advice?
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #69
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

And a shot of the CJ in rain mode. Serving a daily driver with the Grand down. Haven't driven it in rain yet, and this is actually the first time full top and doors are on together. Time to find out if cowl and heating vent leak.

Unread 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

PURTY!!

Luis
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #71
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Today's update: Got new Smittybuilt console installed. VERY happy with it for the money. I was looking for a Tuffy new or used, and found the Smittybuilt for $82 shipped on Amazon (obviously new). Can't beat it.

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #72
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

This week's Jeep update: I added "Jeep" badging to each side. Black OEM badges off some arctic edition Jeep. Probably one of my last doorless commutes for the year.

I had one of my little helpers keeping me company in the garage for the few minutes it took to line up and stick. I think she is digging the view.

And got a new tool cart for Jeep support:
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #73
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Looks great! I need to find a set of those myself.
HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #74
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Wife had the kids out for the afternoon so I finally had a few minutes to grind and paint the rear bumper that came with the original parts way back when. While primer and paint was drying, I snapped a few current shots with the leaves falling.

Head shot

"Jeep" lettering finally on.

And a picture of the VERY heavy rear bumper that some PO made at one point or another. I need to put the final 4 bolts in before using it, but will require more time adjusting the frame tie-ins.
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #75
JayCO
1982 CJ7 

Looks fantastic Jeeprage! I got up at 5am before everyone else in the family so I could get some time working on the jeep! I know what you mean.
JayCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.