New project - 86 CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New project - 86 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Looks great, Hal! Anytime you need to stop on by to compare you're welcome to.

JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage
Progress is being made. My wife snapped this picture the other day, after not having seen "Rubble" herself in months. She had stayed out of the garage.

At the time of this picture I had wire-wheeled the entire frame, axles, skid, POR'ed and top-coated it all, installed new 2.5" suspension and hardware, replaced the fuel tank with new.

Since this picture, I've installed almost all of the new SS brake and fuel lines, replaced fuel hoses, filter, and new fuel filler hoses.

I have new rotors, calipers, and full rear drum kit to install soon (had to wait for hub socket to arrive), new OME shocks, and most importantly... changed direction and ordered a new 4wd Deluxe Fiberglass tub with tailgate cutout that is to be delivered today. (I have the 92 YJ body for sale).

I'm at the point of no return, so I decided to do the glass tub and fenders the first time.
Just a question. Did you por the frame with the transmission and engine in? I am hoping to do that, and I wonder if you have any tips?
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbatt

Just a question. Did you por the frame with the transmission and engine in? I am hoping to do that, and I wonder if you have any tips?
Yes, I left them in place. I haven't heard it run yet, but it has aluminum valve cover and Holley carb, so it has been tinkered with in the past. As for tips, just take your time. I used the wire wheel on all of it except the engine. I'll paint the engine when I eventually pull or replace it, but want to get it driving first and see what I'm dealing with.

I did 2 coats of POR, then top coated with rustoleum spray paint. I covered the new gas tank, skid, axles, etc.
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #19
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

House is done, twins have not yet arrived, so I resumed the Jeep work last week.

I've since:
Installed cooling system (radiator, all new hoses, thermostat)
Installed new belts (alt and power steering)
FINALLY bolted fenders to grill
Installed/drilled hood catch hardware
Bought a battery (I can dream)
Connected engine side harness to interior, and pretty much where I'm stuck right now.

The Jeep has a Holley, so I am safe on running a computer, but curious if I need ANY of the harness that the computer connects to. Almost every end is labeled "Not used" or "Not needed" by the previous owner.

Here is my separate post regarding wiring: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/an...olley-1501758/ There was a lot of confusion having been given multiple harnesses from both CJs and a YJ.
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

4/2/13 - It fired up and runs! New fuel pump on, and I primed the pump from a cup of gas, but it fired up.

Squeaky belt, which I guess I didn't tighten enough when I put the new belts on, and I still need to install lower radiator hose and fill with water. I'll aim for that this weekend and let it run, warm up, and blow out the cobwebs.

On to the next thing...
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #21
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

It was like Christmas in April yesterday. New seats, hinges, shifter boots and fender flares arrived. A few more things outstanding, but in good shape. forumrunner_20130419_060010.jpg

A shot of the Jeep after moving, before i started tearing it down to prime.

forumrunner_20130419_055727.jpg
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Great time of the year to be finishing it up. Looks good. Question. I see you used the stock shackles with your new springs. What bushings did you have to use to make them work? The stock bushings are rounded on the ends and have a metal sleeve. Poly bushings have thick, flat shoulders and may or may not use a sleeve. Will poly bushings work with the stock shackles?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Great time of the year to be finishing it up. Looks good. Question. I see you used the stock shackles with your new springs. What bushings did you have to use to make them work? The stock bushings are rounded on the ends and have a metal sleeve. Poly bushings have thick, flat shoulders and may or may not use a sleeve. Will poly bushings work with the stock shackles?
I used the poly bushings that I bought as part of a full poly set. I ended up only using about half the set since I went with a fiberglass body and couldn't use the body mounts.

I kept the stock rubber bushings in a drawer in case I find a reason to swap back out after I get this thing on the road.

It is a great time to be wrapping it up, but I'm afraid it won't be done "in time". I have less than 2 months left until twins arrive.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
firzout
1982 CJ8 

Looks like its coming along nicely...
firzout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
jeepers1940
1983 CJ7 

The POR and paint on your frame looks great; is there a lot of prep before applying the POR?
jeepers1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940 View Post
The POR and paint on your frame looks great; is there a lot of prep before applying the POR?
I wire wheeled the entire frame, used POR's metal prep, 2 coats of POR, 2 coats of Rustoleum top coat.

The metal prep brushes on over clean and lightly rusted metal and turns it white. I top-coated the POR with Rustoleum because POR does not hold up to UV exposure, and it really made it pop.

I don't plan to pull the body off again any time soon, so I replace entire fuel and brake systems, tanks too, while I was at it.
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Got seat brackets cleaned up and painted, seats and new slider mounted to them, and put in place.

All lights were drilled for in the glass body, some wiring under hood cleaned up, washer tank mounted, and a handful of other small things. Fender flares drilled and test fit as well.

Now on to the fun stuff.. stripping the exterior clean and doing some body clean up. Lots of fiberglass junk to sand off the body, and doing my best at bondo/primer to fill in rock chips and small dents on the hood, grill, and tail gate. My new windshield frame came as well... with a big dent in it. Got to call Quadratec tomorrow and get them to send another.
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Purchased paint and primer this morning. I'll be spending this weekend washing it up, doing rough sanding, and hopefully masking it all off.
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great progress!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

I was able to get things masked and prepped, and got 2 coats of primer done today. Not bad for the first time using a spray gone. The goal will be to to light sanding and a 3rd coat tomorrow, then wet sand it all down during the week with a goal of spraying base coat next weekend.

Clock is ticking, out babies will be here within weeks. The Jeep certainly won't be "done", but I hope to get the painting out of the way and start reattaching exterior parts. Seats and interior will likely be a while.
2013-05-18-12.49.53.jpg   2013-05-18-12.49.44.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.