The New Project! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The New Project!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The New Project!

I just got my first jeep. Its a 1979 CJ7 that a family friend had drove for awhile and then just parked it and never drove it again. It was sittin there 15 years...yes 15 years lol...before i thought about tring to get it. I bought it for 1,000 bucks it only has 62k miles on it. I figured the jeep would be an awesome project for me to do anything i wanted to with it. It needs a good bit of work but what wouldnt after sittin for awhile. I have been workin on it when im not at work and have got alittle done. I have gutted the inside and replaced the hoses, battery, cleaned oil pan and new gasket, air filter, and started to change plugs and plug wires but ran into a problem. I have to take headers off to get to the plugs but the header bolts were touching the pipes so i had to destroy the headers to get the bolts off. So now i have to get new headers. Im plannin on sandblasting it in the next few days once i find a blaster. I plan on doing everything by myself and with the help of some friends and my dad. Unless ofcourse i run into something i have no idea about. Ill post some pics of it the way i got it for yall to see. Just let me no if you guys have any tips or anything that could help me out.

PointBlank7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/pointblank77/
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

CLICK FREE

hope it turns out good
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Cj and good luck with it.

Last edited by BriansCJ; 04-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: too late for click free
BriansCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the click free. And thanks for the luck i think ill need it lol.
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Looks to be in pretty good shape for sitting that long, I'm going to guess you live in Texas or AZ since You can't see any major rust on the tub. Looks like a teal for 1K and the low milage on the engine Definitely need to go throgh all seals ( motor, axles. trans and tc) before you run it Welcome to the forum and good luck
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Alabama...thank god for the lack of salt water here :-) lol
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok..so i'v been thinkin about it all day and have been really thinkin about pulling the motor and axles and sanding the hardtop and paintin it. How much trouble would taken everything apart for sandblasting be? Or would i be better off just payin extra for a sandblaster to worry about that. I'd really rather save money but idk if it is worth trouble.
Unread 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

If you get too ambitious and take everything apart yourself, which is by far the most economical way to do it, there's the very real chance you'll run out of interest and energy before you get it drivable. I'd suggest having someone knowledgable go over the brakes and steering to make sure it is safe. Then you can get a manual from Chilton or Haynes and do all the fluids yourself. This much and getting a battery and all the other usual bits you'll need will be enough of a challenge for most. Then you can have a driver and plan what you do next instead of looking at a pile-o-parts your mom will make you sell to some hawk here.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

1)How soon you do you want it on the road?

2) How much do you want to invest?

3) What is your skill set to DIY or are a good student to listen to what the experts on this Forun tell you (NOT ME)

4) Do you have a second job?

5) Do you have a second job?

Use the search to check out what you are thinking about to get a better idea of what you looking at doing.
By the way Welcome to the Forum
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im not planning on taking every little peice apart just alot of the big stuff and fix each big peice at a time so i dont have aton of parts everywhere. Im pretty ready to get it done so i doubt i would get burned out. I have a friend that is pretty knowledgeable with jeeps and he is going to help me out. And im a firefighter so i work 24hrs and off 48 so i have plenty of time to work on it.
Unread 05-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #12
BamaRenegade
1985 CJ7 

Hey pointblank, what part of Alabama you living in? Judging by that can sitting on the hood, you've already found out the best thing that will help carry you through the rebuilding process...
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBlank7 View Post
Ok..so i'v been thinkin about it all day and have been really thinkin about pulling the motor and axles and sanding the hardtop and paintin it. How much trouble would taken everything apart for sandblasting be? Or would i be better off just payin extra for a sandblaster to worry about that. I'd really rather save money but idk if it is worth trouble.
The part about taking everything apart led me to believe you were going to go whole hog on the-tear down.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
FLBOY
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBlank7 View Post
Im not planning on taking every little peice apart just alot of the big stuff and fix each big peice at a time so i dont have aton of parts everywhere. Im pretty ready to get it done so i doubt i would get burned out. I have a friend that is pretty knowledgeable with jeeps and he is going to help me out. And im a firefighter so i work 24hrs and off 48 so i have plenty of time to work on it.
Big parts have lot,s of little parts inside them
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
PointBlank7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up not listening (like normal lol) and dug right in..i gotta say i got pretty far now i have to get the heads re-done and the carb and i will be good to go. im lookin for an engine stand so i can get it out and sandblast the frame, tub, and axles. I have pics i will post tomorrow morning for anyone who wants to see them. And Bama i live right outside of Huntsville and yea i have to have a few cold ones to get me going lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.