New Project: 1980 CJ7 "Dirt Dobber" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Project: 1980 CJ7 "Dirt Dobber"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

New Project: 1980 CJ7 "Dirt Dobber"

I bought this 1980 CJ7 last week. It is in really good shape, has zero rust. It has the 258 6 cylinder engine and 4 speed transmission. It needs a little TLC. I am not sure what all I am going to do it. I will see how it runs and drives and go from there.

4a.jpg   5a.jpg  
8a.jpg

9a.jpg

12a.jpg

BeesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Its hard to drive the jeep because it goes into reverse so easily. You think you are putting it in third and it grinds on the reverse gear. I took the transmission tunnel cover off and discovered that it has a 77-79 T-18. I will have to take the shifter cover off and replace the reverse plunger spring. I had to do this on "Tanktop".
13a.jpg

14a.jpg

Unread 10-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
CJShayne
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a solid base to start from! Nice find...
CJShayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Looks pretty stock all the way around ... very nice base to start with. Should be fun just to get it up & going. Enjoy the ride!!

-Scott

'81 CJ7 Rebuild ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1543726/
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I pulled the shifter out to put a new reverse plunger spring in it. First I knocked the middle end cap out. I hit it from the inside and knocked it out. This is the only way to do it. The only linkage that needs to be removed is the middle, and only half way. I knocked out the lock pin, and slid the middle rod back. The pin and spring will come out. Next, take out the cotter pin and pull out the srpring and ball from the plunger. Take off the end clip and the plunger will come out. You can see that the reverse plunger spring was broken into several pieces. This was preventing any resistance when shifting into reverse. I bought a new spring with the same diameter as the old one. The new one was longer so I cut it off.
17a.jpg   16a.jpg  
18a.jpg

19a.jpg

20a.jpg

Unread 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I had to make a new tunnel cover for the transmission. I guess the po put in the T18 because the tunnel cover was homemade with 1/4 steel that did not fit. They did not cut the hole big enough for the transfer shifter and it would not go into 4 low. I used an old "No Parking" sign and it worked pretty good.
22a.jpg

23a.jpg

Unread 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I took the rocker chrome off and most of the nuts broke off. I cut off some bolts and welded them to the ends.
022a.jpg

023a.jpg

Unread 11-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesJeep View Post
I took the rocker chrome off and most of the nuts broke off. I cut off some bolts and welded them to the ends.
That welded end is going to be right up against the paint. Ditch those old bolts & get some elevator bolts from the hardware store. I just put mine back on using them. I don't recall off the top of my head what size I used but you can read it in my thread. They worked perfectly.

... loved the use of the parking sign, btw.

-Scott

Unread 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Elevator bolts?? Ok, I will look for those.
Unread 11-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

I found them in the speciality bolt drawers at Lowes. Home Depot has them too and I also saw them at my local small pop shop. So thy should be pretty common.

-Scott

Unread 11-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I worked on the front suspension today. There is quite a bit of play in the steering. The front tie rods were very loose. Also, one tie rod arm was severley bent. I had an old front differential lying around so I used the rods off of it. The steering shaft also had play in the bushing so I ordered a new one along with a coupler. The shaft bearing was also bad. You can see the difference in the new one in the picture.
025a.jpg

027a.jpg

029a.jpg

Unread 11-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

I installed my new steering shaft today. I took the column loose and pulled it back to fit the shaft in. Had a problem because when I started tapping on the shaft to get it on the cloumn shaft, the column shaft moved up under the outside tube. Had to start a new thread to see what was going on. Found out the shaft inside the column is made to move in and out. I took vice grips and clamped on the column shaft and beat it back down. The new shaft really tightend up the steering.
001a.jpg

006a.jpg

Unread 11-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Did you just use an OEM type replacement? I was looking at a Borgeson steering shaft for mine. Just curious.

-Scott

Unread 11-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Yes it is oem. I bought it off Ebay. It is an Omix-Ada and included the coupler for $113, free shipping.
Unread 11-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Since I have the old jeep just about mechanically sound, I have started the body work. It has several layers of paint so I am taking all of it off. The quarter panel has bondo and it was busted because the body support on the inside of the door was broken loose. I welded it and sanded out the cracked bondo.
26a.jpg

001a.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.