New pressure plate does not look like original - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New pressure plate does not look like original

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
jimjames
1977 CJ7 

New pressure plate does not look like original

I am in the middle of my motor swap and have decided to replace the clutch. The one I ordered from 4wd.com that was made by AMS Automotive does not look like the original and I was hoping someone could make some sense of it. It looks like the bolt pattern is correct, but the springs are completely different. I thought that it may have been some re manufactured design that is just different.
I didn't see an option on how to post pictures so I will do my best to describe it.

This pressure plate looks to have about 10 springs that look like valve springs in between the surface that presses the clutch disk against the flywheel and the outside part of the pressure plate that faces towards the back of the motor. In the center of the pressure plate there are three levers that will connect the throwout bearing to the small springs mentioned above.

The factory pressure plate has many flat bars in the center that make more or less a cone shape that sticks out towards the back of the motor and contact the throwout bearing. I guess this is just a different spring setup, but I could really use some advice. Everything came in the same box and the clutch disk has the correct spline count.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jimjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Your replacement is referred to as the Borg & Beck style and the original is the diaphragm pressure plate, it is a bit more user friendly in being easier to hold in the depressed position, it is said that it applies a more even pressure against the disk on the flywheel.

My preference in a jeep is the Borg & Beck...it just seems tougher.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

Yup Borg & Beck style. Did the new kit come with a throw out bearing? If not take
some good measurements of the one you will be using and be sure it will make good contact with all 3 fingers of the new clutch.

I kind of like the diaphram style but that's just a personal preference
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I believe the 3 fingered one is the original, it was on mine. I also found the 3 fingered one was far easier to use. All the little flat bars burned off my replacement within a year due to a ding in the bearing cap of the tranny and I went back to my original borg 3 fingered one.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The Borg & Beck is an OEM one found in my 84 CJ as well. Easy to depress and never slipped under load.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Shasta69
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
You have French doors in your shop???? Good grief Man!

Shasta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta69 View Post
You have French doors in your shop???? Good grief Man!

It's a basement workshop and I had to take out the original patio slider and put in the French doors in order to get the CJ in and out as needed.

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

There may be some confusion to the differences of the two applications.

It is my opinion that the Borg & Beck style pressure plate was OEM except for the Iron Duke in the CJ until the '82 build year when the diaphragm clutch cover became OEM. It is seen in the photo keith460 has provided.

The diaphragm style used a Belleville or conical spring and it allowed a relatively light pedal effort as compared to the coil type springs of the Borg & Beck style but it is said to hold better.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Found an article on the internet that describes the differences in pressure plates that mcmud is referring too.

Pressure Plates

The pressure plate's job is to apply the clamp load to squeeze the clutch plate firmly between the pressure plate and the flywheel. In the performance world, there are basically three types of pressure plates: the Long style, the Borg & Beck, and the diaphragm. Of these three, the diaphragm is the best plate for street use, but all three offer certain advantages.

The Long pressure plate is easily identified by the three thin fingers that engage the release bearing. Under the pressure plate cover is a series of nine coil springs. In order to release the clutch, you must compress these springs. The lever arrangement allows the clutch tuner to add small weights to increase centrifugal loading on the pressure plate as engine speed increases. The Long style is mainly used for drag race applications where the static load (established by the stand height) can be adjusted separately from centrifugal load.

The Borg & Beck style is similar to the Long style and is basically a street version of the Long style pressure plate. It can be identified by the somewhat wider three fingers that release plate pressure by compressing the coil springs found under the pressure plate "hat." Certain applications of the Borg & Beck also offer centrifugal assist for high-rpm, high-horsepower applications. The Borg & Beck uses rollers inside the cover that are forced to the outside under centrifugal force to increase the plate load with rpm.

The diaphragm pressure plate uses a single, large Bellville-style spring to load the pressure plate. There are several advantages to this style of spring. First, it loads the pressure plate evenly since the pressure is equally applied to the entire plate assembly. Second, and more importantly, as the Bellville spring is compressed (clutch released), it reaches a point where the pedal effort decreases when the spring over-centers. This makes holding the clutch pedal in at a stoplight much easier than a coil spring type pressure plate.

Recently, companies like Centerforce have attached weights to the fingers of the Bellville spring to add centrifugal load to the spring like the Long and Borg & Beck pressure plates. This does work, although the load increase is not tremendous, it does tend to help the clutch hold the power.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.