New Owner - Stuck in Neutral - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Owner - Stuck in Neutral

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Th3InfamousI

New Owner - Stuck in Neutral

Hey Guys I have read some threads and it appears its a common problem that the Jeep will get stuck in a gear but in Neutral doesn't seem to be the case from the searches I have done.

I have seen that you might need to pull the top cover and re-align the syncros for neutral but I'm at the point where the Jeep will start I can let out the clutch and it doesn't stall or try to move but I can't move the shifter so I assume it's stuck in Neutral and not say 1st gear?

Back story, everything was fine and it shifted perfect just some slop so I went to go replace the spring in the shift tower and now can't get it to shift. Kind of stumped here. I tried shifting and rocking it back and forth and can't get it to go.

I took some pictures through the tower, looks like it's in neutral from the other pics I saw on the forum? I don't want to take the top off, especially since I really don't know what the hell I'm looking for?

It's a 1980's CJ with T176 and Dana300

Th3InfamousI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Centerfire
1986 CJ7 

Did you make sure the transfer case shift lever is in gear too?
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Th3InfamousI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Did you make sure the transfer case shift lever is in gear too?
Good Point So yea I'm actually stuck in First Gear. Took the opportunity to rock and back and forth and still couldn't get it out of first.

So now I need to line up the syncro's I guess? Via taking the top cover off is there a how to on this? I have a Hayne's manual but doesn't appeared to be covered there.

Last edited by Th3InfamousI; 04-25-2015 at 04:06 PM..
Unread 04-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3InfamousI View Post
Hey Guys I have read some threads and it appears its a common problem that the Jeep will get stuck in a gear
Never had a problem.
Unread 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Ive use a long thick craftsman screwdriver to line it all back up after they got misaligned. Take the tunnel cover and boots off, then push down on retaining cup and give a quarter turn while pushing down...it should pop right up, and remove it, the spring, and the shifter.

Then look down into the trans...you will see the squared off parts where the shifter fits into. Use the screwdriver to line them all back to the center (front to back).
Then try it out with just the shifter before putting it all back together.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
agear
1984 CJ7 

It's a little challenging to push down and turn that cup but it can be done. I usually push it in and am able to turn it a little bit so it gets locked down then finish the job with a hammer and punch/screwdriver. Heres what neutral looks like
th.jpg

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Something similar to this happened to friend except he was ten miles from home and he was stuck in reverse. Ended up reversing ten miles to get home. Luckily it was on a quiet Sunday and low traffic. Good reason to have a stiff neck.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Th3InfamousI

Thanks All I'm Surprised nobody came out with it yet ...but here is the answer.

I neede to GENTLY move the snycro's back and it's easy from the top shift housing. Just incase someone get's stuck on the road it's an easy fix with a two screwdrivers. Two because it's a pain to get the shifter out to look down the top of the housing.

Step one:
Remove/loosen the carpeting in the area of the shifter, slide boot upwards.

Step two:
Push down on the round metal thing at the base of the shifter and spin counter clockwise, should be spring loaded.

Step three:
Remove shifter

You will see 3 shift forks and one will be out of place. If you already see how to fix it, do it. If not, read on.

The shift forks are completely opposite of the gear shift positions.

Top left position:
Reverse

Upper middle position:
4th gear

Lower middle position:
3rd gear

Top right position:
2nd gear

Bottom right position:
1st gear

Step 4:
Now that you can see the shift forks and you know what gear you're stuck in take a long flat tip screwdriver and return the stuck shift fork so that way the gaps in the center of the three all line up. Reverse can be a bit tricky as there is a spring loaded cylinder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.