New Omix Replacement Side Panel with "Jeep" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Omix Replacement Side Panel with "Jeep"

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

New Omix Replacement Side Panel with "Jeep"

Received my new side panel today. The A pillar is rotted out on mine and some spots along the lower rocker so I decided to replace the whole thing.

I had previously thought that all this stuff were pieces that are ultimately pieced together to form the Repli-Tub from MD Juan in the Phillipines but this is made by the Cobra King company in Taiwan.

One thing I'm not so sure on is the "Jeep" stamping in it. It's in the right place, but the "e's" look a little on the thin side. Not sure how well the replacement decals will fit them. My YJ tub, and the original CJ tub were stamped "Joop" so I can't compare to that.

Here's some pics of it. I'm slightly disappointed there's a little dent in it, but it's not in the creases so I should be able to flatten it back out with hammer and dolly.

I was suprised to see that all the holes are in the B pillar for the seat belt, the edge at the door opening is cut out properly for the striker plate to attach, and all the tabs are welded on to secure the wire loom for the rear harness.

Here's pics of it for anyone who may be questioning buying one or not.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

To be fair, it looks like shipping damage. Thanks for the pics. The real test will be the fit. Let us know!
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The "e"s do look a bit skinny but I think the decals will be fine. They're on the skinny side too.
That's a nice looking piece. I have to fab up the bottoms of both those pillars for mine. fun fun!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

It's good to know they include the pillars, but sucks to see them come dented like that. Do you think they were shipped that way from the factory or did it happen during shipping?

Where'd you purchase from?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
The "e"s do look a bit skinny but I think the decals will be fine. They're on the skinny side too.
That's a nice looking piece. I have to fab up the bottoms of both those pillars for mine. fun fun!
If all I had to do is fix the bottom of the pillars I may have just went that route instead of the whole new side but the A pillar is rusted out all the way top to bottom. Water must have gotten in behind the windshield hinges. I'll be sealing them up as it looks like you did in your last build this time around.

Also, Classic Enterprises should have the A pillar available to buy within a month or so. Thats what they told me when I called last week before ordering the panel.

Unread 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

I think it came from the factory that way. It looks like it was tweaked when they welded the pillar to the panel. There's no damage to the outer box or to the cardboard wrap around the panel.

The more I look at the panel though I'm second guessing myself.

Here's a close up picture of the "Jeep" on this new panel

And here's a close up picture of the "Jeep" on Keith460's MD Juan Repli-Tub

It looks to me that the stamping on his tub is correct for the '76-mid '84 CJ-7 tub and matches the mid-84 and older tubs exactly. At that point it was changed to "Joop" but the dimensions remained the same, only the center of the e's and p were stamped flat instead of indented.

I purchased the panel thru 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers as they offered free shipping. This was drop shipped from Omix.

I'm going to trace out the "Jeep" decals on my tub and see if fits properly over the stamping. If they don't then it's going back. Also if it doesn't then I'm going to try and contact Chrysler as they're the ones that put their stamp of approval on the panel as an "Authentic Restoration Product."

Unread 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Yikes, that looks really dented. I'd request another.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Ditto.. major pain in the ***, but for what that must have cost, you shouldn't have to remove dents... Good luck and thanks for the pics!
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Also, Classic Enterprises should have the A pillar available to buy within a month or so. Thats what they told me when I called last week before ordering the panel.
Did they happen to mention any plans for the other pillar? Mines only bad for the bottom 4" or so. I think I'm going to have to make mine out of 22ga so it's pliable enough for me to shape the curves in it. I'll have to then relocate my seatbelt attachment to something sturdy though.

Ya know, chrysler could make some money if they offered like a 4"x8" sheet of metal with Jeep stamped into it, for patching in to bodies.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Their panels are near half the thickness/gauge as the originals.
You'll get damage from basic handling due to the super poor quality !
A simple rub of a tree branch will put a crease in it.
I'd also have second thoughts of that seat belt anchor holding if you ever get into an accident.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Ya know, chrysler could make some money if they offered like a 4"x8" sheet of metal with Jeep stamped into it, for patching in to bodies.
Classic has that too. Seeing where you had rust on your 'p' I really would have cut further up into the panel. You'll be rusted out again in no time.

Also. Theirs is the CORRECT "Jeep" stamping and not this piece of garbage. I'll order their partial panel and A pillar or get another tub. Already talked to Vicky at 4wd Hardware (part of 4wheelparts) and they are going to take the panel back.

http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php#7695

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Their panels are near half the thickness/gauge as the originals.
You'll get damage from basic handling due to the super poor quality !
A simple rub of a tree branch will put a crease in it.
I'd also have second thoughts of that seat belt anchor holding if you ever get into an accident.
Not true. I got out the micrometer and the OEM panel is 18 gauge and this panel was 18 gauge. The seat belt anchor was welded on solidly as well.

If it weren't dented and the "Jeep" logo were correct I'd keep it and install it. Really, the "Jeep" logo is what upset me most about the panel. This is a licensed restoration product and it's not even the right font!

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Wow... I wonder if that matches the JK lettering not that it helps. Just thought. I think when I buy my panel I will get a blank one and weld in my Jeep lettering from the old panel.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Not true. I got out the micrometer and the OEM panel is 18 gauge and this panel was 18 gauge. The seat belt anchor was welded on solidly as well.
If your beliefs make ya feel better.... all the power to you.
Cobra King panels are poor aftermarket junk and the stuff i dealt with in the past are twice as thin and half the weight.
If you think those tiny, tiny spot welds that secure the seat belt are good enough with your life, Then I guess it's good enough for you
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
If your beliefs make ya feel better.... all the power to you.
Cobra King panels are poor aftermarket junk and the stuff i dealt with in the past are twice as thin and half the weight.
If you think those tiny, tiny spot welds that secure the seat belt are good enough with your life, Then I guess it's good enough for you
In reality, it's not the spot welds that hold the seat belt housing. If you notice how it's constructed, as was the OEM panel, the large nut is welded onto an oval plate. That plate is in turn tacked to the B pillar with two small spot welds. None of these welds hold the seat belt to anything. When you put the bolt thru the B pillar it then passes thru the oval washer which is pretty stout stuff, then into the nut. The welds only serve to hold the washer and nut in place for tightening. Once tight the nut is clamping the oval washer to the B pillar which is clamped to the seat belt retractor housing. If the side panel and B pillar are properly attached to the floor boards then it has just as much integrity as the OEM panel.

If anyone intends to replace their entire side panels I would suggest buying the unstamped versions and if you wish then cut out your "Jeep" or "Joop" stampings and weld them into the new panel. Otherwise I feel the construction of the panel is comparable to an OEM panel based on my observations, other than the dent in it that could happen no matter who manufatured it. The only flaws I can find are the dents and the incorrect "Jeep" script. 4wd Hardware has notified Omix of this and also sent my pictures. Unlikely they will do anything about it but it doesn't hurt to try.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.