new/old cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new/old cj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #1
bodi

new/old cj

Hello,
I am new to hte group. I have had three yj's in the past and go trid of them (too much like a car) about a month ago i bought a 1983 cj7 that looked in good shape. paid $1800 because previous owner was being transfered and needed to sell quickly. took it to a shop to be checked over. had to replace rear axle and change all fluids as it had been driven a total of 167 miles in 2 1/2 years. i also had power steering put on it. i then took it to a mechanic to work on engine. someone before had put a holley carb 500cfm on it. too big for 258 I6 so i had a 1980 rebuilt carter put on it. now it runs so much better. just found out that th eprevious owner told me it was a 4 speed and it is a 5 speed. hope to keep all informed of changes to it in the following months and years.

83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 08:34 AM   #2
Mackddy6

Just out of curiousity...how did the previous owner not know how many gears it had?
Mackddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
bodi

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackddy6:
Just out of curiousity...how did the previous owner not know how many gears it had?
" he had bought it for his MUCH younger wife who he then divorced. in the divorce he decided he might want to drive it around. he recently had a friend of the ex wifes do the rebuild of the tranny. he had only gotten it back from this guy two months before selling it. i do not think he really understood what he had. "
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:27 AM   #4
rivertrout10

Congrats on the purchase - it will provide many hours of work, bloody knuckles, broken tools and empty pockets.

Your next problem is going to be your newly rebuilt carter carb - that carb is notorious for problems. You can just page back through the history of the CJ forum here and find many posts on the headaches these things cause. Since you just had it rebuilt you would not want to replace it until it tears up - which it will - give it time. Suggestions for the fix - Weber carb or Holley Projections. Both good solutions.

Good luck,
Derek
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:00 AM   #5
bodi

Quote:
Originally posted by rivertrout10:
Congrats on the purchase - it will provide many hours of work, bloody knuckles, broken tools and empty pockets.

Your next problem is going to be your newly rebuilt carter carb - that carb is notorious for problems. You can just page back through the history of the CJ forum here and find many posts on the headaches these things cause. Since you just had it rebuilt you would not want to replace it until it tears up - which it will - give it time. Suggestions for the fix - Weber carb or Holley Projections. Both good solutions.

Good luck,
Derek
"yes, i had originally wanted to put a weber on it but i was given this carb for real cheap!!! it was taken out of a 1980 and completely rebuilt and the mechanic gave me a lifetime warranty on the carb, though i am sure that i will replace it before the end of my lifetime. i just ordered a carpet kit as it has herculiner interior in it. wanted a carpet kit that can easily be removed for dirt play. also ordered seat covers and roll bar covers. next step is to put some tunes in it. the jeep was recently painetd (before i got it) along with herculined inside total and unfortunatly alond the running board areas and the back quarter panels. don't much like the looks of it but until i am ready to peel it off and repaint i will leave it. i will post pics soon. i am afraid of peeling it off the floor as i might find more hidden rust. so far we put it on a lift and didn't see anything out of the unusual so i feel pretty fortunate at this time. after htis i plan on putting in the TFI system. anyone have any luck with this?"

ibjeepn 83 cj7

Unread 01-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
Guy Hollister

I guarantee he didn't know how many gears there were because it had no fluid in the gbox... meaning it prolly shifted like it had a dead cat in it. mine sure did when i got it... amazing what that oil stuff can do - huh !

guy
Unread 01-17-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
bodi

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Hollister:
I guarantee he didn't know how many gears there were because it had no fluid in the gbox... meaning it prolly shifted like it had a dead cat in it. mine sure did when i got it... amazing what that oil stuff can do - huh !

guy
"to be honest with you i think the guy had no interest in the jeep. it was his ex-wifes. the shifter in the jeep had the diagram of a 4 speed on the insert and i think when the mechanic who rebuilt the tranny put in a 5 speed he was clueless. the guy i bought it from was really nice but was not the jeep type. 52 year old german who was working for BMW and was being transfered to thialand.

bodi

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.