new motor problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new motor problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
born2fish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

new motor problems

Ok , I have an 88 yj with an 83 drive train (dont ask, cant tell you why).
I just installed a new long block 258. Also did team rush upgrade and installed rebuilt motorcraft 2150 carb. The jeep was already nuttered.
The new motor fired right up and idled great. Set timing to 12 and spark plug gap at .45 Took for test drive and the motor died. Starts up idles fine, will run for a brief time then die. It is getting fuel, and is running a little rich. best I got was hitting third gear once before it backfired and died. I am stumped, and also now hear a little tick on my new motor!

born2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
born2fish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

pics
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Unread 08-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

To start, your gas filter is in upside down. It needs to sit level with the return line up at the top so on a hot shutdown any vapours produced get blown off top of the filter back to the tank. Turned like yours also let's gas drain back to the tank when it sits.

Backfire and die implies spark to me. How tight is the power connection to the coil?

Is the ground strap from the rear of the head to the firewall intact?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

What about your gas tank vent? Don't see any plumbing for that. If the vent (charcoal canister) isn't working or its lines are blocked or even if the air filter on the bottom is real dirty, it can put a vacuum on the gas tank making you run out of gas.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
born2fish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply<
here is filter now, is this correct? The coil and black half moon shaped connector are both new. The connection feels solid. I have not hooked up any vacuum lines to new carb yet (the ports are capped off). The charcoal canister vent is there and was hooked up to the carter. ( I also tried carter on new motor with same results). I do not have a firewall strap? only grounding strap I have is on drivers side motor mount
filter.jpg

Unread 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like you are running out of fuel to me.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Not that it has much to do with your issue, but is it a roller cam engine and did you break it in.......not up to speed on when those engines went roller cam.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fish View Post
Thanks for the reply<
here is filter now, is this correct? The coil and black half moon shaped connector are both new. The connection feels solid. I have not hooked up any vacuum lines to new carb yet (the ports are capped off). The charcoal canister vent is there and was hooked up to the carter. ( I also tried carter on new motor with same results). I do not have a firewall strap? only grounding strap I have is on drivers side motor mount
The body tub has to be grounded with a cable or it has to steal power through components like the gas pedal linkage or brake pedal or clutch pedal or radio antenna or.... This can cause the ignition to lose spark.

The strap across the mount just grounds the frame. The body is on rubber mounts.

Stock there is a mesh cable from a rear head bolt to the firewall. A cable from the battery negative to the firewall would work.
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unretarded View Post
Not that it has much to do with your issue, but is it a roller cam engine and did you break it in.......not up to speed on when those engines went roller cam.
just in case you were not aware, hard to tell from your post, there is no break-in on a roller motor.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
born2fish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will add a firewall ground. Does it need to be a certain size cable?

I am not sure if the motor is a roller motor..I ordered the same block casting that was in the jeep. It is a 1980 block. I followed the break in procedures sent from S&J Engines. They even sent break in oil for the first 500 miles...so far I have only logged 6 miles on it
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would use battery cable size #4 at least. If you run big lights, then larger is better. The stock one is a mesh cable between the engine and firewall but is only designed for a stock power load. The mesh holds up to the movement best, but if you go from the battery over, no issues.
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
CSP

Not sure how the roller motor thing came up. A 258 has a flat tappet cam unless you spend the big bucks to convert it to roller.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Sounds like you are running out of fuel to me.
Me too. Maybe carb float. Starves the engine at higher RPM. How's it running at idle and maybe 10-20 MPH?
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasmo View Post
just in case you were not aware, hard to tell from your post, there is no break-in on a roller motor.

Yes, thanks......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Not sure how the roller motor thing came up. A 258 has a flat tappet cam unless you spend the big bucks to convert it to roller.

The OP, mentioned the new motor fired right up and idled great and a few lines later mentions now my new motor has a tick.......but no mention of break in.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
born2fish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Will start and idle. I can hold throttle at say 1500 Rpms fir about 30 seconds, then it stumbles and quits.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.