New Member, looking for CJ--advice appreciated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Member, looking for CJ--advice appreciated

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
rockguitar47

New Member, looking for CJ--advice appreciated

Hey all,
Looking to get back to the offroading scene after owing a highly modded FJ. Have been looking at CJs online and found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...orcev4exp=true

Any thoughts here? Seller is asking 6500 and not sure if that is a good price or not. Also, what questions should I be asking, and what should I be looking for? Buying site unseen online makes me nervous...but this one looks like it has most of the mods I would do already added.

Thanks for your help!

rockguitar47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

An east coast jeep with no pics of the undercarriage, frame and floorboards would make me nervous as heck, plus no mention of their condition. You need to ask and request pics of those areas, otherwise I would steer clear.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
rockguitar47

Hey, thanks for the response--exactly what I was looking for. Seller does not have pix, but what he said is that the body is fiberglass, floors are solid, no cracks, holes. Frame is clean, was undercoated at some point, some of undercoating is flaking but absolutely no rot or rust through.

Jeez...I really want a CJ but I am afraid I am rushing in without doing the proper due dilligence. I most definitely cannot afford to make a $6k mistake at this point.

What would you guys do?
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Pass. Fiberglass body loses points for me, especially at that price. Find one out west and haul it back, you'll be better off.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Temp gauge has no needle? Agree with the above. In the 80's, the steel the auto indusrty
used was crap, and in the Northeast, salt raises holy heck with steel.

I have an '85 that spent some time on LI beaches. The frame has been patched & repaired
so much it's crazy. Not sayin' this one has "issue", but seller should post pics of both inside
channel and outside of the frame, especially in the rear where they are known to fail....

I'd pass & take your time, check CL or join a local Jeep club & search their classifieds etc.
Look any perspective Jeep with your own eyes & meet (and look them in the eye) when
buying. Listen carefully to what they are telling you & listen to your 6th sense...if the BS
meter moves, run.

Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

FWIW, if this isn't a daily driver, you could be into a fun Jeep,
with mods for closer to half that price.

Just thinking that the FJ prices might have you askew....

Again, my .02
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Black can hide a lot of not so nice stuff. And is that mold growing on the inside of the hardtop in that first pic below the description? I'd have to see is in person. Spray paint and undercoating can hide alot of stuff..... temporarily.

I'd like to see a picture of your modded FJ, assuming it's an older one.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
rockguitar47

cool, thanks guys for the reality check and thoughtful responses. I'll take the advice and take a step back, shop around/do some research and see if I can find something better.
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
rockguitar47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post
FWIW, if this isn't a daily driver, you could be into a fun Jeep,
with mods for closer to half that price.

Just thinking that the FJ prices might have you askew....

Again, my .02
you're right...I am not looking for a DD...just something fun that I could take wheeling, and hopefully get me to PA or NJ and back as I don't have a trailer.

I'm so glad I posted here...you guys have been really helpful already. Can tell that this is a pretty darn good forum
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Not one pic of the engine bay?

No way.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.
1981 CJ-7, AMC 360 bored .30 over, Edelbrock Intake, Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Double Roller Timing Chain, Holly 650 truck avenger carb, Flowcooler water pump. '97 Dodge 4wd Std NV4500. D300 Twin Sticked. Corbeau Seats, Custom Dash with Autometer guages, Electronic Speedo, all stainless hardware, Outlaw II Wheels, BFG AT 33" Tires, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, AGR steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, ididit tilt column, Mean Green Starter, Tuffy console, poly gas tank, handmade rear bumper, cheap radio and speakers.

2000 XJ - HO 4.0L, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. PSC gearbox. IRO Double Shear Trackbar. New headliner. IRO Hack & Tap SYE. IRO adjustable UCA & LCA, RE 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects. Future mod: OTK steering, lockers, FIPK, rock sliders, JCR Bumpers, rear storage, high pinion rear (3.55), frame reinforcement, hood louvers, rack lighting.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

No problem and welcome.

FWIW, my '85 has been had the frame repaired (just in the rear). Now coated with POR-15. It's got a new 3-4" spring lift, 1" transfer case drop, new shocks & steering stabilzer, new exhaust, Best front seats, aftermarket stereo (all put in by PO).

I only drive it in the summer (bikini top only) to the beach/marina/ice cream....a little off-roading. I'd drive it to California tomorrow (94K original miles)....sure, it's got body rot.....but always gets an inspection sticker!

I paid $2200.00 for it. PO didn't install the castor shims (but included them in the deal).....the sucker was ALL over the road. I installed the shims & she goes nice and straight....

I'd bet you can find a decent CJ in the $3-4K range.......
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Here's couple to get you started.....

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3518128508.html

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/3480286924.html
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
95XJ-PA
1985 CJ7 

Flaming another forum members sale

I got an email this morning from another member talking about this thread.

There are no pictures of the frame or engine because I never took any. My jeep is located at a garage in Lansdale, I am in Bridgeport, 20 miles away. I'm lucky if I get up there once every two weeks for four hours because of my work schedule. I've had this Jeep for 7 months. Like a lot of Jeeps on this forum, the temp gauge is broken, there is another working one, right below. The top sat upside down on a pallet for 6 months, could be the bikini top that was inside of it had mold on it??. This Jeep has taken double the money of what I am asking for it, much time and effort to get it to this point, I'm not complaining. I had some fun with it. I am moving to the west coast in march and needed a quick sale. Thank you for making your flippant, opinionated, and uninformed comments. 3/4's of you aren't even forum supporters?
95XJ-PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95XJ-PA View Post
I got an email this morning from another member talking about this thread.

Thank you for making your flippant, opinionated, and uninformed comments. 3/4's of you aren't even forum supporters?
You're not much of a salesman.

Please indicate which comments are "flippant and uninformed". The OP asked for opinions, that's what he got. I'll add mine. The fiberglass body would be a deal-breaker for me. Never liked 'em, never will. And I think the extended flares look down right goofy.

I see the bidding never reached your reserve at $5300. That should tell you something....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #15
95XJ-PA
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
You're not much of a salesman, are you?

Please indicate which comments are "flippant and uninformed". The OP asked for opinions, that's what he got. I'll add mine. The fiberglass body would be a deal-breaker for me. Never liked 'em, never will. And I think the extended flares look goofy.

I see the bidding never reached your reserve at $5300. That should tell you something....

Matt
Not worth it Matt, not going to get into a pissing contest. Will sell despite your opinions. Noticed you looked at a fiberglass trailer article though....
95XJ-PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.