New member with a few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New member with a few questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
gravydavey
1977 CJ5 

New member with a few questions

So I picked up an unmolested 77 CJ5 that came from Nevada.

The engine has been replaced at one time or another it has a slight ticking noise sounds like a rocker arm are these known for wear?

The trans is a 3spd I think it is suppose to be a 4spd am I correct?

Need to fix the speedo dash lights fuel tank leaks around the neck and the fuel gauge doesn't work.

gravydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Sweet! Take a long handled screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope. That will help to isolate the noise. Your vin number would tell the xnsmsn I would say it is stock some came with a 3 speed warner t-15. Search the forum for John Strenk he has a lot of good posts about wiring and fixing gauges. Is it the tank itself or the filler hose?
Welcome aboard there is a lot of good information contained in this forum and many people willing to help. One tip be as specific as possible i.e. engine size and type if an engine question, drive train type or manufacturer etc.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
gravydavey
1977 CJ5 

Its a 258 six

The tank is leaking where the neck is welded to the tank.

Will get into it this winter.
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

The 3-speed was standard, while the 4-speed (3+1) was optional. I had the 3-speed for years on one of my jeeps, and I never had an issue with it.

Bad fuel guages are a problem we all deal with. Could be a bad guage. Could be a bad sender. Could be a bad ground, or any number of wiring issues. John Strenk has a whole website with problem-solving for the guages. The only crappy part is that the aftermarket "oem" options are even worse quality then the factory.

That said, if you are going to drop your tank for a repair/replace, thats a good time to swap in a new sender. Dropping the tank is no fun. I've done it about 5 times in the last 4 years (3 to replace the sender, and 2 to fix a leak).
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravydavey View Post
So I picked up an unmolested 77 CJ5 that came from Nevada.
Nice! Keep her in good shape! That's a beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
Dropping the tank is no fun. I've done it about 5 times in the last 4 years (3 to replace the sender, and 2 to fix a leak).
X2 on that. If you have to drop the tank, be sure to do all the work back there while it's out. Of course the sender is a likely candidate for replacement. You might also consider running a dedicated ground wire for the sender if you can't otherwise get a good ground. If the tank is leaking or you're getting clogged fuel filters, you might consider a tank replacement, or just cleaning out the current tank while you have it down.
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
gravydavey
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
The 3-speed was standard, while the 4-speed (3+1) was optional. I had the 3-speed for years on one of my jeeps, and I never had an issue with it.

Bad fuel guages are a problem we all deal with. Could be a bad guage. Could be a bad sender. Could be a bad ground, or any number of wiring issues. John Strenk has a whole website with problem-solving for the guages. The only crappy part is that the aftermarket "oem" options are even worse quality then the factory.

That said, if you are going to drop your tank for a repair/replace, thats a good time to swap in a new sender. Dropping the tank is no fun. I've done it about 5 times in the last 4 years (3 to replace the sender, and 2 to fix a leak).

Thanks for the info the trans works great just a huge ratio change from second to third gear.

And the tank definitely has to come out
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

Dropping the tank isn't too terrible, as long as you make sure it's empty first. I learned this lesson the hard way. Nice Jeep by the way! Nevada tends to be nice to Jeeps. Mine's been in Las Vegas its whole life, so there is zero rust.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.