New member / CJ5 owner from Indiana - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New member / CJ5 owner from Indiana

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
RoscoPColtran
1978 CJ5 

New member / CJ5 owner from Indiana

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself. I've owned several Jeeps throughout my life and currently have a 2000 XJ for a daily driver. I recently picked up my first CJ. She's a 1978 CJ5 that I traded a golf cart for. She was owned by the same person for many years and stored inside. She runs ok and appears to be in decent condition. The frame has surface rust but nothing too bad and I haven't noticed any cracks. She's got the 258 with a T18A transmission. TC is a Dana 20 and the rear end is an AMC 20 with working Trac-Lok 3.54 diff. I hope to learn more about these CJ's and share info with others along the way.

Here's a pic:

RoscoPColtran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
CJ7Kid
1985 CJ7 

Welcome! Must have been a hell of a golf cart!!
CJ7Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
GOJOman
1978 CJ7 

Oh man, very clean. How about some pix of the interior?
GOJOman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

You sir made a good trade. A Jeep is a hell of a lot more fun than any golf cart.
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum!

As others have said, looks like a good trade.

Windshield frame, WS hinges, side markers, side steps and wheels are not original, but the old school soft-top more than makes up for it.

Need some more pics!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
RoscoPColtran
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for all the comments guys. My golf cart was actually a custom gas Yamaha with a 6" lift but I still feel like I got a great deal on this CJ. I do wonder why it appears that the windshield frame isn't original? I've had a couple of people tell me that it looks like a YJ frame but the inside definitely doesn't. The defroster vents are correct as well as everything else as far as I can tell. I'm definitely removing those steps very soon and replacing the side markers with the correct ones. The top is the original Whitco top with the AMC Jeep logo on the passenger side and it's made from a very durable denim type of material and is still in good shape except for the glass. New tires are coming soon also. These Goodyear's date to 1998 and they have almost all of their tread left. The jeep has 73000 miles and has been sitting for a long time.
RoscoPColtran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

Very nice indeed. Welcome aboard.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPColtran

I do wonder why it appears that the windshield frame isn't original?

Aftermarket WS frames have two horizontal raised 'ribs' located at the bottom of the frame.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #9
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Welcome! I'm an Indiana '78 CJ5 too! Nice looking jeep!
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Welcome, and great trade.

BTW, the Jeep T-18 trans is highly coveted by many. Nice score on that.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.