New to me tires for the old Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to me tires for the old Jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

New to me tires for the old Jeep

Federal Couragia M/T

They were used, but it great shape,

the old tires on my jeep were 11 years old and were splitting all around the tire body.

Grandma, said no grandchildren riding in the old jeep unless you get new tires.

The Federal Couragia M/T tires have an aggressive tread design, they sing going down the road, that may be why the P/O got rid of them, after only 2 years.

but they look good on my old jeep and have no tire splits all around the tire, so i am a happy camper.

as i have an almost new set of tires for a very reasonable price.

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

what size?
If they are 265/16's, Federal had a 'cracking" problem w/ them for a period of time, now since corrected.
If 265's, look at last 4 digits of DOT and post it.
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Good luck on the new tyres, nothing like new tyres on an old Jeep.

I replaced some tyres on m 6.0l V12 jag last year that does not do many miles and they were date stamped 1991. No wonder they were hard and spinning when changing gear.

Those are noisy apparently even for M/Ts.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

mopar,

the tires i bought were Federal Couragia M/T size 235/75/15
they were date coded built in 09, I looked the tires over good before purchase and they were in fine shape.
tire dealer said the PO traded then in for larger tires for his jeep

I did read about some Federal tires having splitting problems, but hea, the 11 year old Firestones on the Jeep had serious splitting problems all around the tires.
I have had two sets of Michelins that split before the stated miles warranty

some tire dressings that make tires shine, but they will dry out the outer layer of rubber and will cause the tires to split. Years of a tire exposed to the sun will cause them to split. The old Firestones that were on the jeep are split bad on the outside, but on the inside sidewall there are no splits. So tire cleaners and sun may have caused the splits.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

not to worry, it was only on 265/16s for a period about 3 yrs ago and has long since been taken care of.
Federal is a Taiwan-based company and is actually one of the best 3rd-tier rubber companies around.
Glad you scored!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.