New to me 81 CJ7 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to me 81 CJ7

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
czuess
1981 CJ7 

worked a little more. Got the brake booster bracket built and installed. I also installed the steering bracket.

brake-bracket-.jpg   steeting-bracket-installed.jpg  
czuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #32
chooster5000
1981 CJ7 

nice work man keep going
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #33
czuess
1981 CJ7 

No pictures but got the gas tank installed and all plumed in. This weekend hoping to get the contour fan wired up, install front fenders then wire up the the head lights.
I ordered a new tie rod and drag link from Parts Mike and hope it gets here next week. Its starting to look like I might just get to drive it this summer.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I got a few things done this weekend but it was just one of those times when you take one step forward and 10 back. I had to redo the steering box bracket because I had to move it forward 2" to make clearance so the tie rod would clear the pitman arm under compression.

The Brown santa droped off a present so maybe this month I can start it for the first time. Truck avenger 670
carb.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #35
czuess
1981 CJ7 

well the brown misses santa dropped off a box and it was my steering tie rod and drag link. Now if I can get off work early to put it on or just wait till the weekend. Pictures will be coming when installed.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #36
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I put both fenders on and lined them up. The passenger seat is in and looks good. The seat is a inch or two higher than i like but what can you do when you put junk yard seats in. The driver side will have to wait till I find a used driver side seat slider. I don't want to pay $80 for a new one.
I ordered a rear drive shaft and a pitman arm. I cant wait to get this thing were I can drive her. I only need to buy a few more parts and need some time to get her all back together.
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
czuess
1981 CJ7 

My pitman arm came in and it is looking like I am going to need to move the box forward a little more. Brake lines came in and the rear driveshaft should be here today. The bad part is I am not going to be able to work on her for a week or so. But I cant wait for the medan voyage.
tie-rod.jpg   drag-link.jpg   front-end.jpg  
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
czuess
1981 CJ7 

Well I received a few presents this week rear drive shaft, flex brake lines, steering hose adaptors, and the HEI distributer I sent out to have it remanned. The worst part is I am not allowed to work on the jeep till next week. The wife is holding me to the doctors order of sitting in my chair for a few days after the old snip snip surgery. But it should go by fast and will get it going.
drive-shaft.jpg  
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #39
czuess
1981 CJ7 

Well I went to put the driveshaft under her and come to find out, to get the angles right I have to lower the transfer case about an inch. More and more I am thinking I should have just bought the adaptor to mate the sm465 to the dana 300 instead of using the np205. But just going to mark this one off as lessons learned. The other thing that hurt me on this was the ford 9inch. Only if ford would have put the pinion at the top
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #40
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I could only do a few little thing and I made a shifter handle out of a 25mm shell. It should hold up but if not I'll just make something different.
shifter.jpg  
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #41
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I got the driver seat in, distributer wired, fan belts on, almost all the ground wires hooked up (frame to engine, grill to frame fenders to grill, tub to frame), steering box mounted hopefully for the last time.

I went to install the new carburetor but found I need a spacer that is on order now. Also went to put the steering wheel on and found out I am missing parts for the horn so it is time to go to the u-pull it and see what I can find.

This week I plan on pulling the rear axel and welding the perches on. I need to just take a week off work and get it done.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #42
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I pulled the rear axel and welded the spring perches on plumed the steering box, got brake line adaptors and let me tell you that is a pain. I am hoping to get more time tomorrow but I should take the family to go do something if it is not raining.
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #43
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Your pitman arm clearance looks about the same as mine. I can just stuff my pinkey finger between them. I have never seen any marks from them hitting together, and I flex it out pretty hard.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
czuess
1981 CJ7 

Thats for the reply on the pitman arm. I moved the steering box forward a little more and now I have about 1 1/4" clearance.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #45
czuess
1981 CJ7 

Well today was one of those days that you go one step forward and two back. first I went to put the rear brakes together and I had the wrong springs for the bottom of the shoes and the parts store won't have them till tuesday. Next I moved on to the clutch. Had the line all hooked up and one of the fittings would not stop leaking. That was a new hose too. So I am going to order a new hose and hope that is going to work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.