New Leaf Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Leaf Springs?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
jeeprookie47
1966 CJ5 

New Leaf Springs?

Im working on a 1966 CJ5 and in my opinion (im not a car expert) the leaf springs probably need to get replaced. Is this true, should I get new ones? Also, those are 5 leaf, could I replace them with 9 leaf, and if so what are the advantages/disadvantages?

jeeprookie47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You can take them to a shop and have them rearched and fixed if theres any problems. Running more springs means a harder ride. I personally don't see anything really wrong with those but I could be wrong. If your wanting new springs order a OEM replacement set from one of the manufactures that do lifts.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

those leafs look pretty good. only problem is having only 5 leafs. i have a 62 cj5 and wish mine looked that good. my leafs are flat.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
jeeprookie47
1966 CJ5 

Thanks a lot guys. I thought that the bottom 2 leafs, being flat might be a problem. I will probably just wire wheel them, and then paint them. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 07-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
jeeprookie47
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
those leafs look pretty good. only problem is having only 5 leafs. i have a 62 cj5 and wish mine looked that good. my leafs are flat.
the only problem is I have 5 leaves? Do I want more or less leaves? I would think that if I bought 9 leaf ones, it would make for a better ride. Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858
You can take them to a shop and have them rearched and fixed if theres any problems. Running more springs means a harder ride. I personally don't see anything really wrong with those but I could be wrong. If your wanting new springs order a OEM replacement set from one of the manufactures that do lifts.
From what thantos says, it would make for a harder ride. Sorry I dont know all about this, Im only 16.
Unread 07-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprookie47 View Post
the only problem is I have 5 leaves? Do I want more or less leaves? I would think that if I bought 9 leaf ones, it would make for a better ride. Is this true?

From what thantos says, it would make for a harder ride. Sorry I dont know all about this, Im only 16.

More leaves would make for a harder ride. If you want a stronger packwith better ride, add one right under the main leaf and take the last, shortest one out.

Your pack looks fine, I would disassemble it wire wheel it and paint it. Maby some new spring retaining clip things.

Lots of research is your friend.

Brian
Unread 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

i'd run those leafs you have, only way i would upgrade to 9 leafs is if you came across a set free or almost free. i run 9 leafs in a spring over configuration, rides kinda rough but its an old cj. the spring over suspension has softened it up some. you could try upgrading your shocks if you want to change your ride quality. i used skyjacker shocks, cheap and descent quality.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
hidesertkid
1974 CJ5 

Hey Brian,
Are you saying to soften up the ride with stock springs by removing a leaf? If so can you tell by a photo which to remove? are you good at that kind of thing? and if so I would like to send you a photo of my springs.
Thanks
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Nothing jumps out at me from the pictures, but its hard to judge a leaf when its not under load. Do you have pics of the Jeep prior to the leaf pack removal?

The leaf packs themselves may be fine, but you'll want new bushings at the very least. I wouldn't buy 9-leaf packs. If you're going to buy new springs, get an aftermarket set with a little lift.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAT94 View Post
More leaves would make for a harder ride.
Not necessarily. It depends also on the thickness of each leaf and the spring rate. Both National spring and Alcan make very compliant, smooth riding springs with multiple leaf packs. The key is thin leaves.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
jeeprookie47
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Nothing jumps out at me from the pictures, but its hard to judge a leaf when its not under load. Do you have pics of the Jeep prior to the leaf pack removal?

The leaf packs themselves may be fine, but you'll want new bushings at the very least. I wouldn't buy 9-leaf packs. If you're going to buy new springs, get an aftermarket set with a little lift.
Thanks everyone,

And I think I do have a picture of the leafs under load. I will try to upload it tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.