New to Jeeps: Recently purchased CJ, need help w/transmission transfer case problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Jeeps: Recently purchased CJ, need help w/transmission transfer case problem.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
drtyhatch

New to Jeeps: Recently purchased CJ, need help w/transmission transfer case problem.

Hi everyone,

New to jeeps and well pretty much 4x4 all together. I recently purchased an 81 CJ5 with the inline 258 6cyl engine. When i picked it up we knew that there was a tranny problem. Basically what is going on is the transmission will not drive the rear wheels but when shifted into 4wd will pull the front wheels. There is an awful noise coming from the drivetrain. My question is, does this sound like a transfer case problem or a transmission problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also i have 1981 4cyl CJ5, is there any way to adapt that transmission/transfer case onto the 258. thanks again.

anthony

drtyhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Sounds to me more like a broken AMC 20 (rear axle).
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
drtyhatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Sounds to me more like a broken AMC 20 (rear axle).
hey thanks for the quick response, what would be some good ways to find out, just pull the chunk cover off and see what lies behind it?
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

I have to agree with SlikRic.....sounds like a broken or striped axle. Jack up one side at a time on the back end and see if you are able to spin the tire.

Good Luck........
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

When you are pulling in front wheel drive, does the tranny or TC make noise? The stock rear axle has a 2 pice axle and break easy. I would start by pulling the wheels and hubs off and see what you find. If you don't already have, go to autozone, napa and get the Haynes and/or Chiltons manual, Between the 2 you'll be able to figure it out. Good luck!
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
drtyhatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
When you are pulling in front wheel drive, does the tranny or TC make noise? The stock rear axle has a 2 pice axle and break easy. I would start by pulling the wheels and hubs off and see what you find. If you don't already have, go to autozone, napa and get the Haynes and/or Chiltons manual, Between the 2 you'll be able to figure it out. Good luck!
hey thanks for the help guys,

Yes i still have a very loud screaching, rattling noise coming from the drivetrain even when in 4wd. Will be picking up the manuals tomorrow, would really like to have this thing rolling soon.
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
John N
1981 CJ8 

When you're in 2 wheel drive, have someone watch to see if the driveshaft to the rear axle is turning. That will tell you if the problem is in the rear axle.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
drtyhatch

oh yeah, how would that 4cyl cj's rear axle hold up to the 258? sorry if these questions are elementary, but i really don't know much about jeeps at all but i really want to learn.
Unread 05-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
scot9055
1983 CJ5 

It would be fine but you will need to upgrade the rear axels to a 1 piece axel, the ones on it now are just like the rear hubs on a 4 wheller. (2 piece) the will strip out under idling conditions on the drive way with a good limited slip rear end)
scot9055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.