New To Jeeps and Need Suggestions For Which Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New To Jeeps and Need Suggestions For Which Transmission

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
mpd224

New To Jeeps and Need Suggestions For Which Transmission

I have a buddy at work who has decided to part with his 1979 CJ5 that he rebuilt in the early 90's. The CJ5 has been sitting for the last 7 years with an unknown motor issue (possibly a spun bearing on a rod). Here is what the CJ5has. Frame looks good and had some help getting coated by engine oil when the motor went. He said when he parked the CJ5, the motor ran but sounded like a helicopter. I have a good 4 bolt Chevy 350 that I plan to transplant into the CJ5 till I can find out what is wrong with the 327.

-79 CJ5 w/ 2.5" lift
-Chevy 327 motor
-Muncie M20 4 speed transmission
-Dana 20 T Case
-Either a Dana 30 or 44 front axle
-Ford 9 Inch rear axle
-Kevlar tub with Kevlar tilt from end
-Full Autometer dash.
-Bucket seats with 4 point harnesses

I'm not sure why he put a Muncie M20 car 4 speed in it, but this is part that I don't care for. I am wanting to switch to a 4 speed truck style transmission and here is where I'm torn on which way to go. Here are the options that I am contemplating.

Option 1:
Locate an SM420 trans (not too easy to find in my area) and get a Novak adapter to mate to the Dana / Spicer 20 T case

Option 2:
Locate an SM465 trans (quite a few around for about $100-150) and get a Novak adapter to mate to the Dana / Spicer 20 T case

Option 3:
Locate a Ford T18 trans and get a Novak Adapter to mate to the 20 T case

Option 4:
Locate a T-176 and Dana 300 T case combo and get an Iron Duke bellhousing to mate up to the small block Chevy motor.

All options seem to be in the same ball park in regards to money. What do you guys think would be the best route to go? This Jeep will mainly be driven on the road with a fair amount of offroad trips, mainly to Tennessee. Nothing too extreme though. I would say it would be about 60/40 to 70/30 street to offroad driving. Thanks in advance for any help you guys could give me.

mpd224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Option 4
The T176 is a very good trans until you put some power to it. I have broken 2 output shafts with the power of the Chevy 350. But i was being stupid and goofing off. It's also a built motor.
Now i'm running a NP435 and love it.
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

If your running a GM engine, either SM option is by far the easiest. it will also give you a super strong transmission with a granny low gear and you won't have any engine/transmission adapting issues. As far as the Muncie tranny goes, they were popular in the 60's and 70's as an alternative to the existing three speed manuals. Most were seen around the sand and mud where smooth shifting and an extra gear were desirable. While they don't have the compound first, they are plenty strong and really, unless your working rocks or other technical sections, the Muncie may work fine for you.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
mpd224

The only thing that seems odd with the Muncie M20 that is in it now is that the shifter is right against the driver seat. I will have to load some pictures when I get back home (I'm at work right now). The shifter is mounted on the side of the transmission, does anyone know if it can be altered to where the shifter is more in the middle of the hump like a truck style transmission?
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd224 View Post
The only thing that seems odd with the Muncie M20 that is in it now is that the shifter is right against the driver seat. I will have to load some pictures when I get back home (I'm at work right now). The shifter is mounted on the side of the transmission, does anyone know if it can be altered to where the shifter is more in the middle of the hump like a truck style transmission?
Advance Adapters used to sell a stick with an offset for those conversions. Check with them.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

Option 2.5: SM465 with Novak adapter to D300
bleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Only problem is those adapters are soo freakin expensive.
T176 cheap good trans on a budget.
Unread 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
84cj
1984 CJ7 

I had a T-176 behind an AMC 360. No issues, and I wasn't easy on it. Now with the 5.7 install, I went with an SM465, it was given to me. Hard to pass that up. I did have to spring for the adapter for the d300.

For ME, the 176 was a better around town type trans. The extra gear between 1 and final comes in handy. With that said, the tremendously rugged feel of the 465 feels MUCH beefier than the 176. Finding the right gear is for certain speeds can be a minor issue. I'm either reving the engine a bit, or lugging it, which isn't good. The low/granny gear of the 465 comes in VERY handy.

IMO, if you are not going to flog on it and drive mostly around town, find a t-176 with a d-300 already mounted to it. Price may be better than getting an adapter. If you like to beat on it a bit, want a rugged trans that you will probably never have to take apart, do some wheeling and would like the low first, go with the 465.

Only you know your driving style and terrain.
Unread 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Don't let the Dana 20 get in the way here.

SM & Dana 300 or T-176 & Dana 300.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
mpd224

Here are some pictures of where the shifter is located and how it looks. I found a shifter on Hurst's website that is offset and I believe that one should work. I just need one the will move it to the right and is taller. Is it safe to say that if I switch out to say the T-176/300 combo, I will have to re arrange the trans and T case mounting brackets? Thanks again for everyones help. I may stick with this Muncie trans for a while since I found a deal on a 350 crate motor that I may not be able to pass up.

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I believe the offset stick that Advance Adaptes sells has about a 4 inch offset.
http://advanceadapters.com/product/2...offset%29.html
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
mpd224

Cool, thanks. I completely overlooked that one on their website. I think that will work out perfectly. Thanks again
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
coloplumber
1971 CJ5 

If you decide to change trannys and want to sell the adapter let me know
coloplumber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.