New to Jeeps, and need serious help with this serial #.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Jeeps, and need serious help with this serial #....

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 11-03-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
turbo787

New to Jeeps, and need serious help with this serial #....

Hello I have this jeep a 1970 the papers say but the serial vin plate has these #s, 8305 188077. I thinks its supposed to have something else in between, but it doesnt. As Far as I can find out its supposed to be a cj5 b/c of the 8305 #s. but lo and behold, the rest I cant match! Any help would be nice. I have a pic of the vin plate for reference too. Tnx!!!!

turbo787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

This may help...

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/decoding...ers-1955-1971/

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
turbo787

Awesome info. Now, here is the issue. The beguining #s indicate that is a cj5, but the rest of the serial indicates that it is around mid 1960 and a cj6? Confusing...Any more info or help will be greatly appreciated, tnx guys...
Unread 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Wouldn't be the first time someone has swapped vin plates......My cousins '71 CJ5 had the vin tag from a '78 wagoneer on it!

If the VIN turns out to really be for a CJ6 you'll have to decide if you want to risk trying to get the VIN and reg straightened out. There is a chance the vehicle could be seized and you charged......the circumstances that led to that vin tag being on there could have been less than legal.....and swapping vin tags for any reason is illegal regardless.

Another option would be to either find another jeep of the same vintage that you could put your parts onto or part it out.

Can you post a pic of the tag? Could be someone made their own tag.....which would be even worse.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
turbo787

Tnx for the info guys. Will check the local dmv here with the serial # I have to see if there is something on this jeep.
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Let us know what you find out. Something is definitely wrong with the tag. Anything prior to '62 wouldn't have the "8305" at the start, the earlier cj's just had the sequential serial # as the vin.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo787 View Post
Tnx for the info guys. Will check the local dmv here with the serial # I have to see if there is something on this jeep.
You can't mix and match on those charts. It is either the 8305 and the last are the serial number or it is the combos for the early ones. So why don't you think it is just a normal CJ5?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
turbo787

I'm having issues uploading the pic of the plate. If anyone can get me their # or email I'll send it out to get posted, tnx...
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
turbo787

This very interesting because this vin plate is on the firewall, driver side, and on the car still. It's from toledo, ohio. Once is posted you'll notice what I'm talking about.
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
turbo787

Hey guys, was wondering if someone ca post the picture for me? Having a problem with my phone, says there is an.error everytime I try to post the picture. Tnx...
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
CSP

Where are you getting the idea that it's a mid 1960 CJ6? The 188077 is beyond the range of 1960 CJ6s. There's one too many digits in that number also.

It's at least a '62 or newer since it starts out with 8305. The 188077 is the sequential serial number and tells nothing about what model it is.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
turbo787

Hey there csp, tnx for the reply. I'm trying to figure this out and I'n new to these jeeps. So I have a pic of the plate. If I can email it to you so you could see it? The numbers it has are as follows, 8305 188077. I swear, it's driving me nutz!!!😨 I really would love to know so I can go to the dmv here and see what has to be done, this people are a little incompetent, and lazy, so I just want to make sure...
Unread 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
CSP

New to Jeeps or not, it's easy to read a chart. That's all that I did....
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #14
turbo787

Hey there buddy, I know what you mean. I have read the charts and figured out most of what I can understand from it. It's very simple, thnaks to you guys. It was being confusing with all the #'s and not finding the last ones, thinking they where anything other than just production number of units. The important ones where the beguining #'s stating that it is in fact a cj5(8305). So I have to go whith those being that the 188077 is what I previously stated. Cool, it makes it easier once you think about it. I thought that the other #'s I was reading where supposed to follow the 8305 and was getting confused. But thanks guys!!!! Got it and hopefully will be going to the dmv to see about the registration and see what year it actually is...😊 Hopefully if everything goes well ,I can start fixing the body up to paint and then do some drivetrain upgrades. Once I get it up to shape maybe I'll sell my Land Cruiser, or just leave it for family fun/slight offroading...
Unread 11-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
turbo787

Ok. So today I went to the dmv and there seems to be no information on this jeep at all. I got the engine block number ,4J438610, and the chassis number matches the tin plate up front on the fire wall, 188077. The only information I have is that.It has a 4 banger with a T90A tranny. No windshield, tail lights a4e from like a wrangler looks like. Pedals through the floor, big speedo in the middle, gas tank under driver side seat, and a tailgate. The guy said it was the original engine and tranny, so where can I find the info for the engine to see if it was the Huricane engine or the iron duke? Thanks guys and please forgive my asking so much, I look and look, try to word things differently but can't get the right answers... Tnx!!!!

Last edited by turbo787; 11-04-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.