New to Jeeps... Is my project crazy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Jeeps... Is my project crazy?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2002, 06:26 AM   #1
ZZ YA

New to Jeeps... Is my project crazy?

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for awhile and thought I'd take the plunge.

Some background....

Last year I bought a project Jeep someone gave up on. Near as I can tell its a '67 CJ-5. I paid $100 for it. At the time the engine (4cyl "F" head) was apart but all the running gear and most of the body was there. It had been lifted and had 31" tires. I thought it had potential.

Over the summer we got the engine running fine with no $ other than a gasket set and a carb re-build. Got the brakes working too with a new master cylinder. We changed the charging system over to a regular GM alternator and put an electric fuel pump on. I took it down the road slowly and it seemed to sound allright and all the shifting and 4x4 seemed to work.

This past fall, I bought a 72-75 fiberglass tub that someone had already fitted with a roll bar and new windshield. I also bought the rear mounted 15 gal gas tank. This Thanksgiving we plan on running gas lines, re-building the steering box, and maybe mount the tub.

My only concern is about this project is engine performance. The goal is to put it on the road and have to reliable enough to go into the Manistee National forest for two-tracking and maybe cruise the beach. It won't be used in the winter or as a daily driver. I don't expect or want a muscle car, but I want it to go 55 mph on the backroads to the forest. Will the "F" head engine get the job done and not be a menace to other motorists?

Eric Petrus
Ludington, Mi

ZZ YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
55-willys

everyone will hate you. if you run that 4 banger at 55 for any great lenght of time itll junk. thats why they came out with the warn overdrive,it drops the rpm about 500rpm. you can still find the warn on ebay or the willys tech site, but your going to pay about $600.00. still you got a good deal for $100.00. why not tow it to your locations.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.