New to Jeeps how to fix scary steering - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to Jeeps how to fix scary steering

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
bucklagrim
1975 CJ5 

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the Jeep recently, but I think I've found a few culprits. The first thing I noticed was that the PO installed caster shims. Problem was that he installed them between the springs and the ubolt retainers instead of between the springs and perches. Second thing I noticed was loose bolts on what I would call a sway bar on a car (not part of the steering linkage). After reading several threads on the forum I am also thinking of doing a tie rod flip to correct the bumpsteer I'm experiencing. The drag link and tie rod tube are nowhere near paralel. The bushings from goferit are the way I'm thinking of going as I already have a 3/4" drill. Any opinions on this kit as opposed to the Rock equipment sleeves that need to be taper reamed? I understand that the goferit bushings need to be welded, thats not a problem as I have a welder. I will post pics as soon as the camera comes off the charger. Thanks everyone for the help!

bucklagrim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Woodduckwhacker
1982 CJ7 

A New steering shaft with u joints instead of rag joints fixed my steering
Woodduckwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
bucklagrim
1975 CJ5 

Lets seee if this photo of my tie rod/ drag link will show. Don't know if I meet the required posts/ time limit yet.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
bucklagrim
1975 CJ5 

Notice the improperly placed caster shims and everpresent AMC lifeblood all over the garage floor!
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
bucklagrim
1975 CJ5 

Another thing I noticed was the inner ubolt on passenger side riding up on side of the pumpkin. Is this correct, or another mistake by the PO. It looks like its cocking the whole spring pack. Thanks again for all your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.