NEW Jeeper and dont have a clue where to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > NEW Jeeper and dont have a clue where to start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Chivo69
1980 CJ7 

NEW Jeeper and dont have a clue where to start

I just bought a 1980 CJ7 I think its all stock it has a 258 inline with amc rear end and dana 30 front. I want to be able to do some semi serious trail blazin but i also use as a daily runner im trying to learn as much as i can about all the axles and gears and such. I want to be able to have effortless experiance on trails but cruise around town as well. Help where do i start with this project?

Chivo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
riproar

Need a little more info.....

Any current issues..? bad leaks, idle probs? what mods do you have now? etc...

And....Whats your budget!?

Adrian
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Welcome to the Forum. There are enough opinions on here to make your head spin for weeks. If you have a specific question hit up the ol' Search buttton. If you don't get confused enough by what you find there, ask it in here and we will point you in the right direction.

For your project, I would start with the basics first. Make sure your fluids, brakes and driveline are all in good shape. Take it out wheelin and you will know what you need next. good luck!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
ragsdale
1975 CJ5 

Lets see some pics of it..
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
neals80
1980 CJ7 

start with a Part time job......Congrats..I have a 80 as well....PM me anytime.....I wish I had 33s

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivo69 View Post
....I want to be able to have effortless experiance on trails but cruise around town as well. Help where do i start with this project?
All depends on what your definitions of 'effortless' and 'cruise' are. Stock CJ's fulfill both for most people.

I know people that wheel stock/lightly mod'd Jeeps on difficult trails and have no problems. Then I've seen people with highly modified Jeeps get stuck and hung up on all sorts of things. Learn how to drive off road. I've learned that if I don't want to get stuck, I don't go places where I might get stuck. Join a local club, take a few organized trail rides, etc.

You'll either get the taste for the more difficult, or decide you'd rather take the bypass. Both on the trail and off.
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I see you have an SOA. I would assume that was done by a PO, so check it out and make sure it was done correctly/safely...I don't think that's a bad way to lift it or anything, just a lot of half *** attempts out there.
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Join a local Jeep club.. best thing a new Jeep owner can do.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
MontanaCJ5
1974 CJ5 

Look it over, fix any obvious problems or things that don't work. Check the plugs-fuel filter-ignition, fluid levels, and the basics to make sure that it's set for driving. Then....drive it. Shortcomings and problems will pop up and keep you busy enough while you learn all about the monetary black hole...er, Jeep. After a short while and a few trail runs, you'll have lots of ideas where to start.
MontanaCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If you have an SOA then the first thing is axle wrap prevention on the rear axle if you don't already have it and single shaft rear axle shafts.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
kufd
1982 CJ7 

hello all, I too am very brand new to jeeps, I just bought a used/built CJ5 1972, its a pretty awesome play rig in my eyes, need to get some advice and pointers. How can I tell what is the exact make/model of my axles? I want to up grade my gears to about 4.88. the current axles sim to be the stock ones, but I cant tell. when I bought the jeep it already came with 35x16x15 boggers, and they work fine, but I dont feel the uumoof or power I need. should I down grade my tire size also? the axles seem small too my eyes. please provide me with any feedback. like I said im a newbi to jeeps
kufd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
kufd
1982 CJ7 

also how do you put the steering linkage about the springs on a SOA lift? I drive it now underside and it does not seem to be a problem, but it would make me feel better if they were on the top. thanks again
kufd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.