New to the Jeep world - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New to the Jeep world

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Huenowit
1977 CJ7 

New to the Jeep world

I am very new to the Jeep world and I have a 16 year old son that loves to work on cars. We just purchased a 1977 Jeep CJ7 as a project. It has a 304 AMC engine but has no transmission or transfer case. The orginal transmission was the automatic Quadratrac. I do not know what the axles are yet. We live in Colorado and plan on using it in the mountains, but are not looking to rock crawl or get to extreme with it. With this set up, what transmission/transfer case should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Huenowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I would look for a T176 4 speed transmission and Dana 300 transfer case if you are looking for manual trans. If you looking for a automatic I don't know much about those.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

the quadratrak jeeps used a special offset rear end. so you might end up having to replace that as well. fortunetly, NT amc20s are common, and its a good time to put in something better like a dana 44
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Huenowit
1977 CJ7 

Thanks

We are going to put a manual transmission in it...and we figured we would have to replace the axles. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Only the rear needs to be replaced. As for transmission; if stock you could use the T-5 with a Dana 300. This is a light to medium duty 5 speed . It should help with gas mileage.
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
row684
1984 CJ7 

I wouldn't put a T5 behind a 304, find a T176 at a minimum.
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Huenowit
1977 CJ7 

T18

Is a T18 over kill? I had come down to a T176 or a T18. I would love to be able to run this at 65 miles an hour. I am not sure if the T18 will allow me to run at 65 miles per hour. I haven't even gotten into gearing it yet. I am just trying to get the right powertrain and then I will go from there.

I am big into climbing and hiking 14,000 foot mountains and some of the access roads are pretty rough. I have seen lesser vehicles broken down or stuck on some of the roads. I just want to be able to get into some of these spots.
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huenowit View Post
Is a T18 over kill? I had come down to a T176 or a T18. I would love to be able to run this at 65 miles an hour. I am not sure if the T18 will allow me to run at 65 miles per hour. I haven't even gotten into gearing it yet. I am just trying to get the right powertrain and then I will go from there.

I am big into climbing and hiking 14,000 foot mountains and some of the access roads are pretty rough. I have seen lesser vehicles broken down or stuck on some of the roads. I just want to be able to get into some of these spots.
The T-18 is considered the Holy Grail of CJ transmissions by off-roaders. It's built for much heavier rigs, so they are known to be bullet-proof in a CJ.

If you go with a T-18, you'll need an adapter to mate to the D300. Also, I highly recommend you consider a T-19, as well. It combines all the bullet-proof qualities of the T-18, but with fully synchronized gears. It also seems to have a shorter throw, which makes it more driver-friendly than the T-18s I've driven.

All 4-speed trannys for your CJ will have a 1:1 high gear. Your axle gearing and tire-size will dictate whether you need an over-drive, or not.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

With a 304 you should be able to do 100mph no matter what tranny you pic. Unless you get a 5 speed all the 4 speeds have a 1-1 final ratio so it shouldn't matter. The t18 is a whole lot stronger but the t176 will be a more affordable swap if you want to use a dana 300 tcase.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

hue,

if you can find another jeep owner in your area that has a jeep with an automatic transmission

see if the owner will let you guys drive his jeep, just to determine if your son likes the auto transmission.

sometimes when you are just slowly crawling through the woods or driving down a rough road, going very slow, an automatic tranmission would be nice to have, you pump yourself to death on that clutch.

all i am saying is just think about it, otherwise you are pumping the clutch all the time

the boy might like the auto and it would be much easier to just replace the auto trans and transfer case back into your jeep rather than have to rebuild, re-engineer another drive train.

unless you guys are expert mech and rebuilders this could turn out to be a big project.

one other thing to think about: i have rasied two boys and they will work hard on a project for a while, but one girl comes by and you lose you helper. they can not help it, they just lose focus.

he is going to want to drive his jeep before the next two years of rebuilding, re-engineering is complete.

maybe an after thought, but it might have been better to have bought an old fixer upper that had all the drive line parts that would have been easier to fix up and drive

just my two cents

my old jeep had been used and abused but it was all there
dsc03225.jpg  
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Huenowit
1977 CJ7 

Wellmax,

Thanks for the advice, but the boy LOVES trucks. He has rebuilt 2 already and sold them. I have seen him tear apart apart transmissions, engines, rewire, rebuild, whatever he can get his hands on. He actually just got a job in a body shop.

I am the novice and the boy is the expert (he reads Chilton manuals for fun) I am just trying to bond with him, and this project has us both excited. I am trying to get some ideas so I don't feel like an idiot.

So from what I have read hear and other places I am thinking the following should be good:

The tires are 33 x 12.5 x15 (these are not going to change) The engine is a 304 amc, and there is no transmission or transfer case, right now.

If we put in a T176 with a D300 and change out the rear to a Dana 44, we should run 4.1 gears to get good setup, and a little bit better MPG.

Thoughts on this?
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think you'll be happier with 3:73 gears with that set-up.

As you can see, 4:10s will put you over 2600 RPM at 65 in high gear. That's howling pretty good.

1800 -2000 RPM at 65 mph would make a better DD, IMO.

Matt
picture-2.png  
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Welcome to the forum, I'm down in Loveland. Sounds like you and your son have everything covered, but if you need any help let me know!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Welcome to the forum, I'm down in Loveland. Sounds like you and your son have everything covered, but if you need any help let me know!
Yep, good to see some more Colorado boys on the board.

Hue, I hope you keep us updated on your drivetrain choice, and build. It sounds like you and the boy want to do it right the first time.

If you and your son care to meet, say in Denver, sometime, I'd be happy to let you take my Ol' Girl for a spin, just for a point of reference.

Matt
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Huenowit
1977 CJ7 

Thanks again

Wow,

This place is refreshing!!!!!!!

Here I come in thinking, I am an idiot when it comes to cars and these guys are going to laugh me out of here. On the contrary, everyone here is GREAT. What a community.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.