new(ish) member questions about T-150 transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new(ish) member questions about T-150 transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 07-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
jthomley
1981 CJ5 

new(ish) member questions about T-150 transmission

Hey all!

Sorry for so few posts but most of the time I am able to search for my answers, and get them in old posts. Having an 81 cj5 makes it pretty easy to get answers, but makes you feel less involved.

my question: I have an 81 cj5 that I am totally restoring. I know no one else that has one so most all of my info is from internet (it sucks but that is where I am). The jeep came with the T-4 transmission that was trash, but it also came with a T-150 and a bunch of other parts.

Since the T-150 was free, I had it rebuild (and the 20 transfer case rebuild too) for almost nothing. I have the transmission and transfer case mounted to engine. I was going to just run this one for a while and decided which one I would like to get the jeep up and running faster. I am now wondering if that is the right choice or not? Body is off and everything right now, and just wondering what a pain its going to be in the future.

I will mostly just use this jeep to run around town and through some mud puddles, nothing serious. Will never be main vehicle, but would like to drive it most days.

Thanks for any help and will try to get a build thread started soon. getting more excited about the build. thanks all!

jthomley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Where does one get a transmission and transfer case rebuilt for nothing?

The T-150 is a solid, reliable automotive transmission. The fact that it is a three speed really seems to bother some people, but I've never seen it as a problem.

If you want to change to something else later few things will be easier to do so than with a Jeep CJ.
Unread Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #3
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Consider at least the cost of the drive lines, exhaust may change, should you want a four speed or what ever in the future. There is nothing wrong with the T150 if the gearing is what you want.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.