New and have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New and have questions

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

New and have questions

Hello all I am new to the jeep work bought my self a 72 cj5 it has the 304 and is a 3 speed it has 33 inch tires locked rear axle and has almost no rust and a good paint job I was just wondering what crusing speed it will do with out being to high in the rpms

Last edited by Newbjeep; 02-23-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum.
Your RPMs will depend on the gears in your rear and front differentials.
With 33" tires, I would hope that the gears have already been changed.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

I would guess no one has changed the gears
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

This is it
image.jpg  
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Schzap
1984 CJ7 

Ok so you need to find out what you have in it. Crawl under and around looking for numbers on each piece of drive train, mine (84 cj7 stock ish) has a t176-dana 300-amc20 axle...looking up each one I found what gears I have, then use a website like....
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
And plug in your numbers.
Hope this helps, I did it for fun, and I doubt ill ever do 85 MPH in it...but math says with 31's I can. Yeah not happening, but 3mph at idle...yeah I can crawl like that
Schzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Schzap
1984 CJ7 

Hmm with 33's...I would disconnect the u joints and turn a wheel. Count turns and get your diff ratio, wouldn't hurt to do front and rear, just to make sure one didn't get changed and the other stock, its 8 little bolts and easy to get to the u joints to remove them.
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Yeah I think I will do that I really like it just u really new to be about to do 55 or so and also how much is the going rate for a back seat
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
timgr
1975 CJ6 

A '72 would have come with 3.73 axle ratio standard, or 4.27 optional. Both are fine for highway travel. If the Jeep is in good condition, you can drive as fast as traffic and your nerve and ears allow. The motor will be fine at those speeds.

With 33s at 85 mph, you'll be turning 3200 with 3.73s and 3700 with 4.27s. A 304 in good condition will run indefinitely at those speeds.

If you do not feel comfortable at those speeds, either you have worn parts or the suspension has been improperly modified. Jeeps from this year were fine at above legal speeds direct from the factory, even with comparatively short tires.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Schzap
1984 CJ7 

I prolly have worn bushings ext.. they are on my never ending list of parts to replace.
Getting an original back seat is more about luck, a lot of people seem to remove them and sell on eBay/Craigslist, or get a bench seat from a mini van that will fit, not sure the year, measure and go to pick and pull, then get seat covers to make em all match.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.