new guy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new guy

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

new guy

New guy here, owned several jeeps, I had a '41. a '45. a 65, an 83 CJ7, and just bought a 1976 CJ5 with 57,000 miles. Haven't messed with it yet so not much to report but the frame is cherry, the body is better than average. Plan is to find a hard top for it (has a soft top) and making it a fun time ride for my girlfriend and I. Looking forward to reading about other CJ5's here and getting ideas for mine.

1976-cj5.jpg

Throbbin Rods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Welcome!

There is a good showing from New Hampshire on this board.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Finally got enough ambition to go out to the garage and clean the Jeep out. Finds in the back end included new calipers, rotors and pads for the front brakes. Looks like there is a new starter, fuel pump, hubs, starter solenoid, and ?U Joints in the Jeep already. Big problem with rust in the gas, likely coming from the tank. Starts, runs, shifts, clutch may be new as well based on parts boxes in back end of Jeep. I need to tar the dash out of my Suburban to get the gauge cluster rebuilt so I would like to get the Jeep registered as an antique and drive it for the few days the Suburban will be out of commission. Going to flush the heater core, rebuild the carburetor, and gas her up this week, then hopefully get it on the road next week.
Looking for a hard top for this old blister if anyone knows of one that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, and two pints of blood. Kind of enjoying the Jeep thing again, but I will probably get over that soon enough lol.
later
Bill
Throbbin Rods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
agear
1984 CJ7 

welcome
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Death85e

Welcome to the forum.
Death85e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbin Rods View Post
Looking for a hard top for this old blister if anyone knows of one that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, and two pints of blood.
Meyer tops are the most common. They were a dealer option, and aftermarket. I see them in craigslist, and occationally floating around junk piles. If you are not far from Sanford, Maine, there has been one sitting on a CJ5 in the woods for the last 20 years.

But be carefull. They were made during the entire run of the CJ5, but the 76+ is different then the 75 and earlier. Also, make sure you get all the small parts if someone sells you the hardtop. (ie hinges, spacers, etc).

After that, the Acme tops were popular, then the Tank tops. But they seem less and less common every day. Plus tons of smaller manafacturers, but most seemed to only go up to 1975.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.