New Grill Not Fitting in 83 CJ7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 05-11-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
lanerj
1983 CJ7 

New Grill Not Fitting in 83 CJ7

Hello, I have an '83 CJ7 with a straight 6. The original grill was bent and rusted so I purchased a grill from a guy parting out a CJ (not sure of the year). Anyhow, I had the new grill sandblasted and powder coated and then tried to install it. The new grill bolted in just fine, but when I reinstalled the radiator, I realized that I no longer have space between the fan and the radiator. So I pulled the grill back out and started comparing measurements between the old and new grill. The new grill is 2.5 inches wide at the bottom and the old grill is 1.75 which means that the radiator is pushed back towards the fan an additional 3/4 of an inch. The radiator was a 2" thick core, so I ordered a 1 1/4 inch core thinking that I would regain the 3/4". But, the back of the radiator is still the same distance from the fan so it won't work either. Has anyone else run into this? The only differences between the two grills that I can see is the thickness at the bottom. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lane

Tags
cj7 , grill , radiator replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.