new gauges all work except temp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new gauges all work except temp?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
rodjr
1980 CJ7 

new gauges all work except temp?

new gauges and senders, everything works except temp. went through trobleshoot, gauge has 21 ohms across terms, test light flashes on purple wire and at sender, with wire connected to sender light flashes same or tiny bit dimmer. heating sender reduces ohms. also tried 2nd sender nothing works. how does temp gauge ground, does it have ground?

rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

i thought my temp guage never worked until it got really cold and now it seems to work but the temp fluctuates very little...

sorry i cant help....
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Check out the links in the bottom of one of John Strenks posts. There is everything you need there.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

John knows his stuff check them out!

The ground for the Temp gauge uses the bezel on the Speedo cluster make sure that the speedo cluster had a good ground.
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check out these links (Reposted from John Strenk)

Click Here for basic Gauge instructions
Click Here for Quick Facts about CJ Gauges
Click here for quick test on CJ Gauges
Click here for CJ Gauge Description
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
rodjr
1980 CJ7 

unfortunately ive done all his troubleshoots and it all checks ok but gauge doesnt go up. ive heated sensor w/heat gun down to 20 ohms gauge doesnt move, but sensor cools fast doing this so i wonder if gauge reacts to slow? seems my 4cyl doesnt get very hot, maybee themostat stuck open? do temp gauges react to temp changes very slowly? maybee im not building enough heat to move gauge with coolant, and gauge cant react fast enuogh when i heat w gun ?

Last edited by rodjr; 11-30-2008 at 01:26 AM..
rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjr View Post
new gauges and senders, everything works except temp. went through trobleshoot, gauge has 21 ohms across terms, test light flashes on purple wire and at sender, with wire connected to sender light flashes same or tiny bit dimmer. heating sender reduces ohms. also tried 2nd sender nothing works. how does temp gauge ground, does it have ground?
Hi,

I just went thru the TEMP Problems also. My gauge would read but alway low and below the greeen line. External temp test with pyrometer showed my thermostate was opertating at the correct temp 190 or so.

Just so you and others know, Them temp sender in there was 68 ohms at boiling water temp, 212 F approx, and was not low enough. OPeratioal temp around the boiling point of water for the sender is 30-35 ohms or so. I purchased one from Napa and boil tested and was 220ohms at boiling. This budget sensor would also jump in resistance and did not seem to be a good sensor, I suggested Napa not put that one back in stock. Napa suggested premium Elkin at nearly double the price close to $12 dollars but did measure the 30 ohms at boiling water temp. PUt in and now midscale at opertional temp. PERFECT!

Once you find a temp sensor that measures the correct resistance in boiling water, I would also measure resistance from the block to the output of this temp sender, thermister, to verify you have proper gound to block. Do the installed test at operational temp and should be about 30-35 ohms. Teflon tape or thead sealant can interfere with the ground of sensor to the block. I used a thread sealant but skiped the first 3-4 threads so I would still get good ground. I was also suprised by a squirt of water like a hose when I removed the sensor and engine was cold over night.

I do not recommend using the heat gun to test the sensor's output of ohms as posted above, you may over heat and the temp range the sensor. Heat guns can easyly approach 1000 F degrees. A guess on my part but a good one. Boiling water is a much better test and can be done prior to install.

Please let us know if that helped you out.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.