new to forum.. just got a basket case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new to forum.. just got a basket case

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
smokeone
1985 CJ7 

new to forum.. just got a basket case

As I said I am new to forum and new to owning a jeep. I recently had a chance to buy an 85 cj with a wrangler body on it. By on it means its just on it no bolts nothing. The frame has no rust and the guy put all new bearings, u-joints, brakes, rotors, rebuilt motor, new clutch. He has done everything except the wiring and mounting the body. My delima is the wiring. I don't really know what's what. It also appears that the tub has the yj wiring and the engine bay has ci wiring? How do I mate the two. Can someone give me a site that shows the diagrams or send me a diagram. Also I think I would like to use 1/4 inch plate steel to stiffen body a mounts by drilling hole all the way through to inside tub and using grade 8 bolts and nut to attach it to frame. I have read stories of the mounts being insufficient. Is that overkill or a good thing?
Thanks Rog

Last edited by smokeone; 02-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: poor spelling
smokeone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

welcome.
over doing anything on a Jeep is a good thing as far as body frame and bolts go.What year YJ tub is on it.As far as the motor goes we don't know what you have.You need to fill out your profile so we can help you better.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

to the forum
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
smokeone
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks for the quick response. The jeep is a 1985 cj with a 258 6 cyl. The tub is off of a 1992 wrangler. any help is great. I am also looking for some parts for it if anyone knows of a place in south west Ohio or north. I need a windshield for wrangler and a roll bar. I also need the heat duct work.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

here is a place to start from. and i would suggest talking to the op of the thread below
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...arted-1340134/
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Is it licenced as a 92?Are there emission laws in Ohio?Whats on it for a carb?That'll have a lot of bearing on how you should approach it so you don't waste time and money
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
smokeone
1985 CJ7 

Its titled as a 1985 cj7. Even if it presents a liscenceing problem, I only have $800 in it.I can part it out for more. But why would I induldge any more info to dmv other than its a 85 cj.
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Most dmvs don't have sense enough to handle more than what is on the paper in front of them. The wiring isn't hard, just get a diagram from the corresponding models and trace it out. Get an 18 pack, a buddy, and a test light. Also a good high quality pair of wire strippers, connector crimpers, and soldering gun. Work on one system at a time.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
smokeone
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post
Most dmvs don't have sense enough to handle more than what is on the paper in front of them. The wiring isn't hard, just get a diagram from the corresponding models and trace it out. Get an 18 pack, a buddy, and a test light. Also a good high quality pair of wire strippers, connector crimpers, and soldering gun. Work on one system at a time.
I was thinking more like a 24 pack. I am trying to figure out which fuse box is in it cj or yj. What is the black plug hanging from center of bottom of it. I think my best bet would b to go look at a cj and a yj. I am more of a visual let me touch it kinda guy.
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I have a wrangler roll bar in good shape in West Michigan.
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

If you have emissions there ,it will affect how you wire it.Does it still the carter carb and all the emission stuff on it.If there isn't emission laws then wiring would be strait forward
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The later tub is a good choice. Puthijeep has one and is hence rust free.

You can install a CJ instrument panel and all the other stuff from a CJ. There is nothing complex on the panel but the wiring can be a rats nest and you need the fuse box as well.

The wiring is pretty simple, it divides into 3 sections. Engine Bay, Instrument Panel and Rear Frame. They break at plug connectors, one of which you have probably seen hanging which is one end of the bulkhead connector.

If you got the middle part of the wiring harness you could install the CJ instrument panel and workings and fuse box and it would match up to the CJ bulkhead connector for the front end. The rear frame connector is half a dozen wires and easy to rig. The instrument panel wiring is not that complex if you have the panel off.

You will also need the CJ ventilation system which means a CJ windshield I think to get the defroster ducts lined up. Plenty on here have done it so you can see what they used.

Puthijeep is custom wired, so the issues with Jeep wiring have been overcome. But here is a pic of a 1984 fuse bix to start you off.
82fusebox.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I had to modify the top of the cowel to mate my cj windshield to yj tub. Wasn't too tough.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

And if you are wedded to the CJ rear look, it is possble to grat on the bottom hinged tailgate.

If it is not currently bolted down you will find the mountings do not align, simple job to alter the tub. Use the rubber mounts for sound insulation.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #15
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Yep, did that on mine also. Not hard to do. I also moved the gas door. You will have to modify the body mounts in front of rear wheels as well as the rear ones; but that's not bad either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.