New EZ wiring harness short circuit help needed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New EZ wiring harness short circuit help needed

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbyATL View Post
Ok so right now the battery cable and the fuse panel cable are on A. I should take them off?

How do I recognize the short?
With an Ohm meter. (Or a Multimeter set to Ohms or Resistance) Yes, take the wires off terminal "A" and one wire at a time, look for a short between the wire and the negative cable that is disconnected from the battery.

Unless this has been done before, each and every circuit needs to be checked for a short to ground. (The chassis) Mike says you have proven terminal "A" to be good with no short to ground. If that is so and these a,re the last two circuits still attached to battery and you have a ground, I'd strongly suspect that one or possibly both circuits have the ground you're looking for.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
sabbyATL
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
With an Ohm meter. (Or a Multimeter set to Ohms or Resistance) Yes, take the wires off terminal "A" and one wire at a time, look for a short between the wire and the negative cable that is disconnected from the battery.

Unless this has been done before, each and every circuit needs to be checked for a short to ground. (The chassis) Mike says you have proven terminal "A" to be good with no short to ground. If that is so and these a,re the last two circuits still attached to battery and you have a ground, I'd strongly suspect that one or possibly both circuits have the ground you're looking for.
Ok, do I assume I should leave the battery positive cable on the solenoid terminal A, otherwise there's no power anywhere but the battery, unless we want the resistance of each wire in a dormant state. Is that what we want?

If so, the resistance reading between the disconnected battery cable and the cable that goes from the fuse panel to terminal A, when it's disconnected from A, jumps around from 0.1 ohms to 40.## kilo ohms to 0.L. that's with my cheap auto ranging Southwire multimeter. My Actron multimeter set to 200 ohms show a lot of jumping around, too.

The resistance for the alternator wire under the same conditions is 13.69 kilo ohms, with the Southwire. It doesn't register with the Actron set at 200 (lowest setting).
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

I can't see why your fuse box has jumper between the solenoid power wire (constant power) and the ignition switch acc wire (switched power) but if it does, then the acc wire has constant power and the ignition switch may ground the acc post when it is in the off position.
Requiem4aCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok, do I assume I should leave the battery positive cable on the solenoid terminal A, otherwise there's no power anywhere but the battery, unless we want the resistance of each wire in a dormant state. Is that what we want?
Yes. We want to establish whether or not there are clean circuits here. The multimeter will provide it's own voltage to establish this. We don't need the battery at the moment. We're measuring resistance, not voltage.

Quote:
If so, the resistance reading between the disconnected battery cable and the cable that goes from the fuse panel to terminal A, when it's disconnected from A, jumps around from 0.1 ohms to 40.## kilo ohms to 0.L.
THIS leg (circuit) looks suspicious. From what you've stated, somewhere "downstream" from here is a problem. THIS is the leg you want to follow.

Quote:
The resistance for the alternator wire under the same conditions is 13.69 kilo ohms, with the Southwire. It doesn't register with the Actron set at 200 (lowest setting).
This leg appears to be okay.

What I would suggest is leaving the wire lifted at terminal "A" and start testing at the fuse box. We want to prove EVERYTHING good or bad, so I would lift the power wire to the fuse block and test it with the multimeter. Most likely it will test okay but we want to prove that. Then if it tests okay I would pull ALL of the fuses and signal relays out of the block and test each and EVERY connection where a fuse or relay plugs into. My guess is that one of these connections will have a short to ground on it. (Remember, one wire of the multimeter is attached to the negative battery cable and the other is against what circuit you are testing. Now, IF there is no short to ground, I would attach the power wire back to the fuse block, still leaving it lifted at terminal "A" and testing that point for a short again.

This is going to take time, but I believe you will find the leg with the short.

THERE HAVE BEEN other methods offered by some other knowledgeable posters here and they ARE valid ways to test the circuits. I believe that this is a simpler, but perhaps more time consuming way to locate the trouble. Basically the Idea is to cut the trouble in two and then look each way. Keep eliminating.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4aCJ View Post
I can't see why your fuse box has jumper between the solenoid power wire (constant power) and the ignition switch acc wire (switched power) but if it does, then the acc wire has constant power and the ignition switch may ground the acc post when it is in the off position.
This jumper is the feed from the battery to the FB. Switched power comes FROM the FB through the switch.

Unread 08-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #21
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
This jumper is the feed from the battery to the FB. Switched power comes FROM the FB through the switch.
in the other thread where sabbyATL was rewiring her jeep it was said that there is a jumper between these two wires
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

The ignition switch power wire should have a jumper from the solenoid power wire. Is it possible the ignition switch power and the ignition switch acc wires got switched or labeled wrong by the manufacturer?
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #23
sabbyATL
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4aCJ View Post
The ignition switch power wire should have a jumper from the solenoid power wire. Is it possible the ignition switch power and the ignition switch acc wires got switched or labeled wrong by the manufacturer?

I'll double check at first light.
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #24
sabbyATL
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Yes. We want to establish whether or not there are clean circuits here. The multimeter will provide it's own voltage to establish this. We don't need the battery at the moment. We're measuring resistance, not voltage.

THIS leg (circuit) looks suspicious. From what you've stated, somewhere "downstream" from here is a problem. THIS is the leg you want to follow.

This leg appears to be okay.

What I would suggest is leaving the wire lifted at terminal "A" and start testing at the fuse box. We want to prove EVERYTHING good or bad, so I would lift the power wire to the fuse block and test it with the multimeter. Most likely it will test okay but we want to prove that. Then if it tests okay I would pull ALL of the fuses and signal relays out of the block and test each and EVERY connection where a fuse or relay plugs into. My guess is that one of these connections will have a short to ground on it. (Remember, one wire of the multimeter is attached to the negative battery cable and the other is against what circuit you are testing. Now, IF there is no short to ground, I would attach the power wire back to the fuse block, still leaving it lifted at terminal "A" and testing that point for a short again.

This is going to take time, but I believe you will find the leg with the short.

THERE HAVE BEEN other methods offered by some other knowledgeable posters here and they ARE valid ways to test the circuits. I believe that this is a simpler, but perhaps more time consuming way to locate the trouble. Basically the Idea is to cut the trouble in two and then look each way. Keep eliminating.

I'll give this a shot. The methodicalness of it speaks to my statistician training.

To reiterate, I'll test the end of each wire at the fuse panel, with a lead on the disconnected battery negative cable. Meter set to ohms. Battery positive cable also disconnected. Start with the other end of the solenoid power cable.
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #25
sabbyATL
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
I'll double check at first light.
Ok, I was a little wrong. I went out and followed the wires carefully. The solenoid power cable only really connects to 2 wires - the ignition switch power wire and the alternator power wire. The alternator power wire is not used because I have a one-wire alternator.

(Please excuse my crude drawing and shaky handwriting)
fuse-20box_01_zpssxpbfhl0.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Hooks to at least three terminals in your drawing.
Main power comes in, jumps to the blade on the far right,
The jumper from far right jumps to second from the right.
That's 3 terminals.

------------------------

How about this,
Take the main feed wire off the starter relay,
Install a 3 or 5 amp fuse between battery cable and main feed wire,
See if that fuse blows when it's hooked up...

This is a poor mans Amp Gauge.
If it doesn't pop a 3 amp fuse, then you can start looking for the drain with full power hooked up...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #27
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

If you can, how about some good, clear pictures of the back side of that fuse block so we can start tracing circuits.
Back side, from a couple of different angles,
And the front side with the same orientation, same side as TOP in both sets of pictures.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's a thought.

Since the current problem is the same as the original problem (described 3 threads ago), I would concentrate my efforts in areas that haven't changed since going down the new harness rabbit hole.

I'm guessing the ignition switch is bad.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #29
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Here's a thought.

Since the current problem is the same as the original problem (described 3 threads ago), I would concentrate my efforts in areas that haven't changed since going down the new harness rabbit hole.

I'm guessing the ignition switch is bad.

Matt
New switch... She also unhooked the power to the new switch with no change. Though maybe she should unhook all the wires from the switch.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #30
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Personally, I would have swapped out the bastardized ignition that Jen has before I would have attempted a new harness install.

But that's just me.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.