Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Exhaust for my CJ

792 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ezredcj 
#1 ·
I want to redo the exhaust on my CJ but I am not sure which way to go. I just bought the Jeep and think it needs a little better sound and power from the exhaust. Any help for my newb @$$ would be greatly appreciated. As of right now it has Hedman hedders, which will stay, a hi-flow cat, and a flowmaster exhaust.

#3 ·
Nothing is really wrong with it but it just doesnt sound mean like a CJ should. It could be that I am just used to my '54 F100 and the way that sounds. Thanks for the response.

#5 ·
909Jeeper said:
Nothing is really wrong with it but it just doesnt sound mean like a CJ should. It could be that I am just used to my '54 F100 and the way that sounds. Thanks for the response.
Well you didnt say what engine you have but if you want it to sound mean cut off everything behind the headers and put in dual exhaust out the rear with 12-14" long glasspacks and nothing else not even cats. That will make it sound right. :drool:

#6 ·
It is the factory 258 with the Mopar Fuel Injection kit added on. I thought about cutting it all off and just running the pipes back but I can't due to my lovely California state smog laws. I live close to a lot of trails so I drive the Jeep on the street to get to them. I wonder if I could get away with it until I have to smog it next year and just put the other stuff back on to pass smog? Have the muffler shop put it on on flanges so I can just bolt/unbolt as needed for the smog checks.

#9 ·
I'm working on wone right now and it's a little pricey. The motor, motor mounts, and bellhousing isn't really bad at all (as long as you get a good deal on a motor) but everything else is really starting to add up. Right now I'm having problems with the upper radiator hose. I don't know which hose is the best fit. All in all it's the stupid things you don't think about that add up. If you're going to do it I recomend getting a donor car or truck for the swap. Buy the whole other vehical that way you have everything you might need for the motor itself as in wiring harness, distributer...etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.