New Drive Shaft HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Drive Shaft HELP

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Joe_CJ5
1981 CJ5 

New Drive Shaft HELP

I have the money for a new rear drive shaft and I am thinking of going with a Tom Woods drive shaft. The problem is that I do plan on doing a lift down the road, but after long consideration i think i am only going to go with a 2.5 inch lift, I only want to run 31s. So with that said, will the up graded rear shaft for $219 work after the lift is put on later down the road or will I have to legthen it later on. Im just ready to put it on the road again, not ready to tear it down yet.

Joe_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

The best I can offer is this. If you tell me what the angle of your shaft is now and how long it is from yoke eye center to yoke eye center. I'll tell you how much it will have to stretch if you lift your Jeep 2.5". The standard slip yoke on a stock drive shaft has 3 inches of travel. I think Tom Woods has some with 4" of travel. So you might want to get the longer travel shaft to be safe with that.
Unread 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Joe_CJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
The best I can offer is this. If you tell me what the angle of your shaft is now and how long it is from yoke eye center to yoke eye center. I'll tell you how much it will have to stretch if you lift your Jeep 2.5". The standard slip yoke on a stock drive shaft has 3 inches of travel. I think Tom Woods has some with 4" of travel. So you might want to get the longer travel shaft to be safe with that.
My jeep is stock, no lift. I will measure tomorrow but i dont have anything to figure out the drive shaft angle. I will call Tom woods tomorrow and see what they have to say as well
Joe_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.