New Crown Quadra-trac chain stretched after one day. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Crown Quadra-trac chain stretched after one day.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

New Crown Quadra-trac chain stretched after one day.

Put the new chain in Saturday, went wheeling Sunday. It started out fine and by the end of the day, it started jumping teeth when making hard climbs.

I didn't check the tension when I first put it on, but it felt very tight, I had a heck of a time getting it on compared to putting my old worn out one on.
I checked the slack today, and it's at 1-1/8" already.

Is it too much to expect than to get more than one day out of it.?

I e-mailed the seller I bought it off of to see if they are willing to do anything.
$160 down the drain, and I need to tear it apart again.

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Crown....you're surprised?

Crappy deal man, hope you can get some kind of refund. I'd be looking to try and find a more reputable manufacturer or even get it from the dealer if they aren't discontinued.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Crown....you're surprised?

Crappy deal man, hope you can get some kind of refund. I'd be looking to try and find a more reputable manufacturer or even get it from the dealer if they aren't discontinued.
That's the problem. They quit making the Morse a couple of years ago. Can't find one anywhere. The Q-trac junkies bought them all up.
I called a couple of places that had a Morse advertised, and not a single one said they have Morse stamped on the chain as they should.(yet they still want Morse prices).

The only options now are the Omix-Ada and Crown, and they are probably made at the same factory.
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Bummer. I know you love you're quadratrac buuuuuut....stak or atlas time?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Bummer. I know you love you're quadratrac buuuuuut....stak or atlas time?
I'd be happy with a simple T-18 or a 300 swap, but I really love my TH400. With a badly needed frame swap coming up soon, the $700 or so for a swap just isn't in the cards.

I'm waiting for a call back from a place that says they may have a Morse chain at their warehouse. Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I swapped in a dana 300 behind my th400 and love the setup. Rebuilding the th400 to swap shafts isn't bad at all as long as you aren't rushed and have a big table. I upgraded a lot of stuff including my converter, shift kit, and governor calibration settings. It's not cheap but it's worth it. I paid 100 for my dana 300 and 50 for my centered rear diff with 3.54's. The rebuild kit with red alto clutches was 100, stall converter was 100, Novak kit was 450, shift kit and calibration kit was another 65 bucks and then you have new drive shafts for let's say 400. If you go this route a have a new tatton rear shaft that might fit that I would sell really cheap. Good luck with your choice.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredisb View Post
I swapped in a dana 300 behind my th400 and love the setup. Rebuilding the th400 to swap shafts isn't bad at all as long as you aren't rushed and have a big table. I upgraded a lot of stuff including my converter, **** kit, and governor calibration settings. It's not cheap but it's worth it. I paid 100 for my dana 300 and 50 for my centered rear diff with 3.54's. rebuild kit for red altos was 100, stall converter was 100, Novak kit was 450, **** kit and calibration kit was another 65 bucks and then you have new drive shafts for let's say 400. If you go this route a have a new tatton rear shaft that might fit that I would sell really cheap. Good luck with your choice.
Great info. That may be a good option. What's nice is the T18 swap is a direct swap with my axles, but the adapter kit runs $700.

I just found one single Morse chain laying on somebody's shelf.....for $349.
That's probably the route I will go.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I ordered the Morse for $350.
Hopefully I can get a refund on the one that lasted a single day, or else I'll be almost as much in the hole as doing a swap would have been.

I asked them three times if it's guaranteed to be a Morse with it stamped on the links. I want to be sure for that price.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Make them email you a pic of it.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I didn't mind my q trac I just didn't want the hassle of trying to find good chains in the future. If it is a morse then great, but by the time you wear it out new morse chains will be as good as gold (they almost are now). I would start choosing your new powertrain and stockpiling parts.

"What's nice is the T18 swap is a direct swap with my axles, but the adapter kit runs $700." -- Did you mean to say the Dana 18 t case? Its the only other offset rear output case that I know of. If you are going to go through the trouble of gutting your trans to ditch the Q trac output shaft (it only works on the q trac) I would go Dana 300. Much better support for new parts and used parts are readily available. You can then twin stick the 300 and gain a lot more control of the vehicle off road. Don't let the rear axle swap discourage you. It was the easiest and cheapest part of the swap for me.

Keep us posted on the chain

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredisb View Post
Did you mean to say the Dana 18 t case? Its the only other offset rear output case that I know of.
That's what I meant. I knew it was an 18 in there somewhere.

The E-bay seller put me in touch with Crown. I spoke to them and they said it would not be a problem to give a full refund. They can't do it direct with me, but at least the seller isn't on the hook for their quality issues.
I let him know that although I was very disappointed with their quality, the customer service seems top notch. The whole call took less than 5 minutes.
He said they are working on getting the quality to comparable standards as the Morse chain, as there are alot of customers if they do.

Hopefully now the E-bay seller moves quickly, and the place I ordered the Morse from moves quickly. I hope it lasts 90,000 miles like the old one did.

I don't want to mention where I found the Morse until I have it in my hand. With my luck somebody else will buy it before my order is processed. I'm not sure how many they actually have, it may just be the one.
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

About 6-7 years ago, a fella stopped in front of my house and gave me a Qtrac chain.. said it was brand new and never installed. He said that he drove past my house almost daily and since there were always Jeeps out front, he thought maybe I knew someone who could use it. I told him all my buddies had either D300s or NP231s, but I took the chain and hung it on a hook in the garage.

Fast forward to 3 minutes ago.. the chain is still hanging were I left it. Looks like it was coated in cosmoline or some other "waxy" preservative. It's caked in crud (dust/dirt) from sitting for 6yrs, but doesn't look any worse for wear. I didn't take a really close look (already took a shower), but I can check it better tomorrow..

If you want it, it's yours for the price of shipping. I can probably get it in a Medium Flat Rate Box for $10.. just let me know.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
About 6-7 years ago, a fella stopped in front of my house and gave me a Qtrac chain.. said it was brand new and never installed. He said that he drove past my house almost daily and since there were always Jeeps out front, he thought maybe I knew someone who could use it. I told him all my buddies had either D300s or NP231s, but I took the chain and hung it on a hook in the garage.

Fast forward to 3 minutes ago.. the chain is still hanging were I left it. Looks like it was coated in cosmoline or some other "waxy" preservative. It's caked in crud (dust/dirt) from sitting for 6yrs, but doesn't look any worse for wear. I didn't take a really close look (already took a shower), but I can check it better tomorrow..

If you want it, it's yours for the price of shipping. I can probably get it in a Medium Flat Rate Box for $10.. just let me know.
This is what it's all about folks. Great folks like Eddie here stepping to help out a fellow Jeep brother

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

If it has Morse stamped on it, I'll take it. Due to the age, it probably does. They probably were the only ones to make them back then.
It should have 48 links, the 16% OD only has 46 links.

Can I send Beer through the mail????? This just makes my week.
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Ok... just checked.. it's stamped with MORSE and has 48 Links.

Has some spots of surface rust but I think it'll clean up okay..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.