new clutch adjustment problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > new clutch adjustment problems

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
JBW5
1980 CJ7 

new clutch adjustment problems

i just installed a new luk clutch in my 1980 cj7. Everything work and all but my clutch pedal kinda bottoms out against the floorboard now. Like i said its driveable but a pain on take offs and obnoxious when im running through the gears. I initially set it with about an inch of play in it but it doresnt seem to matter. No matter how i adjust it it still seems to work smooth through about 3/4 push then the last /1/4 it just slams to the floor. Any tips or adjustment advice would be greatly appreciated!

JBW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How much free-play do you have in the pedal?
You want about 1-1 1/4" at most.
BTW, my pedal hits the floor also....NBD
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
JBW5
1980 CJ7 

Probably about an inch and its not so bad that it hits the floor but its like there is a point where there is no resistance and it just slams to the floor.
JBW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

CJ's clutch pedal is made to hit the floor.
"About an inch" Is it more or less than an inch? Set the free-play to no less than 1 inch and no more than 1 1/4 inch. Test drive.
Also, check the slop in the bell crank holes and down-rod from the pedal, if you run'n the OEM setup, they will wear badly into an egg shaped hole. I switched years ago to heim joints for just this reason.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.