New CJ7... MSD ignition and leak questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New CJ7... MSD ignition and leak questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
AlbuqHenry86cj7

New CJ7... MSD ignition and leak questions

Hey everyone, this past week I picked up a an 86 cj7. 258 6 cyl. It is spring over, dana 30/amc 20, t 18 out of a ford, dana 300, 285/75/17's with a few miles left on them. The carb has been switched out with a Holley 4412. Has an MSD ignition. One piece axles in the rear.

I like this forum because of the CJ specific subjects... This is my first jeep so i will have a few questions.

Here is what it looks like along with my scout I am selling to fix up the jeep....

Anyone have any pointers on setting up the MSD and Carb.. Cant get it quite running right....I havnt looked at it too much yet. I did get it to pass emssions today but was bearly Idleing had it just below the max spec for emissions 1200. Where would be a good place to start with the timing. I cant see any numbers but saw on here that the far number is 2 deg after then it goes by two's.... I am close to 10 deg. right now....

Also I seem to be getting oil from the bolt on the harmonic balancer. Is that bolt supposed to have sealant... behind the balancer on the timing cover it is dry... it really seems to be coming from the bolt....

My other leak is one of the seals for the rear axle... PO said it wasnt shimmed properly... do I need to take it apart and see what axle was put in to get a proper seal and shim kit or are they pretty straight forward parts...

Thanks for reading.. I cant wait to get out wheelin a bit...-Henry

AlbuqHenry86cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Most of us run that engine in the 8-10 BTDC range for timing so yours sounds about right.

Getting that big holly to pass emissions is quite a feat so you must be close.... there seems to be lots of documentation on the 4412 on the web.

Make sure the wires to the MSD don't go close to anything, they can get RF interference easy.

Quote:
Also I seem to be getting oil from the bolt on the harmonic balancer. Is that bolt supposed to have sealant... behind the balancer on the timing cover it is dry... it really seems to be coming from the bolt....
Jeeps sure do leak in strange places..... that bolt should go into the center of the crank and well, if that is leaking.....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
AlbuqHenry86cj7

thanks for the tips...
I played with it a bit more just now.. I went ahead and advanced a couple more degrees and adjusted the idle mixture to max vac. no more stumble at idle and seems to rev better... I will have to double check which plug wires are on there. I read that the msd likes a certain kind. ...
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
AlbuqHenry86cj7

I have been doing quite a bit of reading yesterday evning and this morn. I found out what the teamrush upgrade is and will be doing that.... i did find I have a bad plug wire on there right now.... I pulled one wire at a time while it was running and found one hole where the eng didnt change... swaped the wire with the hole next to it and now that one is dead.... time for wires.. I think I am going to go with MSD wires...

I pulled the axles apart and when i did I noticed the seal was bent along with the backing plate.... Seems like maybe the bearings where pulled in with the mounting bolts and it warped the area where it should seal... I pulled the other side that wasnt leaking and it was slightly bent but not too bad.... I found out I have moser axles. I found a sticker on one... I think I am going to goahead and pull everything apart and put new bearings and seals... I am gonna do some reading now on the moser axles now....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.