New CJ10-A project - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New CJ10-A project

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #91
gunnar
Registered User
1985 CJ10 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9
Looking good Eric,

I am glad engine and tranny found good home.I have to say ,i am not the one who put that RTV.Probably Air force mechanics didnt have correct parts.
Keep all Jeep lovers informed with your project.

gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #92
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Looking good Eric,

I am glad engine and tranny found good home.I have to say ,i am not the one who put that RTV.Probably Air force mechanics didnt have correct parts.
Keep all Jeep lovers informed with your project.
Hey Gunnar! Good to see you on here. I knew that RTV job was not your doing. I just thought it was so funny I had to post it.

How's Germany? Many CJ's over there?

I'm pretty excited to get this tug project. I originally was just going to use the engine in a scout, but I couldn't resist a cool unique crawler.

I hope to have the cab mounted within a couple of weeks. Even if I decide to stretch the wheel base a few more inches in the back, the cab won't get in the way.

I'm planning something different for the bed. Kind of like different interchangeable beds for different situations. Like a camper or a flat bed, maybe a dump bed also. I can swap them from time to time depending on what I need at the moment. Like a full cage just for crawling. Just pop some pins maybe and lift the module off and snap on a new one.

Like attachments for bobcats...

Good to hear from you G.K.
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #93
Balvar24
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rock Ridge
Posts: 5,113
Don't 4-link set ups often have the shocks at an angle?

If you mount on an angle, won't your travel get cut down pretty significantly?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #94
gunnar
Registered User
1985 CJ10 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Hey Gunnar! Good to see you on here. I knew that RTV job was not your doing. I just thought it was so funny I had to post it.

How's Germany? Many CJ's over there?

I'm pretty excited to get this tug project. I originally was just going to use the engine in a scout, but I couldn't resist a cool unique crawler.

I hope to have the cab mounted within a couple of weeks. Even if I decide to stretch the wheel base a few more inches in the back, the cab won't get in the way.

I'm planning something different for the bed. Kind of like different interchangeable beds for different situations. Like a camper or a flat bed, maybe a dump bed also. I can swap them from time to time depending on what I need at the moment. Like a full cage just for crawling. Just pop some pins maybe and lift the module off and snap on a new one.

Like attachments for bobcats...

Good to hear from you G.K.
After Texas, Germany is too cold and wet,I havent seen any CJs but there are many TJs on the post and mostly diesel JKs owned by Germans.I wonder why we dont get those in the USA.
Maybe you have already seen this but there is Toyota Land cruiser camper on expedition portal forum,it is my inspration for a Jeep Truck/Camper


I think it has 110 inches of wheelbase.Camper is permanently mounted to frame.But owner says ,if he would build similar vehicle again,build a bed/camper variation like you planned.
Here is the link:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=20822

Good luck with project,i cant wait to see results.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #95
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Don't 4-link set ups often have the shocks at an angle?

If you mount on an angle, won't your travel get cut down pretty significantly?
Kind of what I'm thinking also. I'd rather build some towers, and deal with them through the bed.
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #96
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
I scrounged a YJ for 5 bills yesterday, so now I have a good rust free tub for my first module. It will consist of a shortened normal tub with tailgate and I will add a roll bar/cage.

Today, I ground off the rear spring perches off the axle tubes, and reset my pinon angle so that it is 2 below the TC. This way I can get rid of the shims completely. I tack welded them in the new positions, and called it a night.

I know that I should bite the bullet, and lengthen the frame another several inches, so that I can run the stock CV shaft that was on the front of the Donor Waggy. It would save me the cost of a new DS plus it would make my YJ tub fit a whole lot better.

I'm at that point of no return, so will sleep on it some more, and decide in the AM. If I cut the back half of the YJ off just behind the doors, I can weld in a new bulkhead and that would give me the measurement of how long to lengthen the frame, or I could make the frame fit the existing DS, and make the tub fit the frame... Anyone like one way over the other?
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #97
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
If you mount on an angle, won't your travel get cut down pretty significantly?
Not at all. It depends on the working length of the shock whether your travel is reduced or not. You do lose the dampning effect of a shock mounting it at an angle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
I know that I should bite the bullet, and lengthen the frame another several inches, so that I can run the stock CV shaft that was on the front of the Donor Waggy. It would save me the cost of a new DS plus it would make my YJ tub fit a whole lot better.
If the Waggy CV shaft is too long you don't need to go purchasing a new driveshaft. Any driveshaft shop should be able to cut that one down at a fraction of the cost of a new driveshaft.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #98
Balvar24
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rock Ridge
Posts: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Kind of what I'm thinking also. I'd rather build some towers, and deal with them through the bed.
Step side beds look cool, even if they don't hold as much.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #99
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
If the Waggy CV shaft is too long you don't need to go purchasing a new driveshaft. Any driveshaft shop should be able to cut that one down at a fraction of the cost of a new driveshaft.
I've got a machinist looking at doing just that. I live way too far to have the luxury of a drive shaft shop do it. I can have it balance later if it needs it.

As it turns out, a 2" front DS will hit the cross member, so I may have to cut in a saddle. I could go with a small OD tube, but at 35" long, the 2" would be better.

Thanks for helping.
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #100
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,402
Hey Eric I was over on the Goucho thread looking around and this picture is on there. As soon as I saw it I thought of your build and the bed you're going to put on your CJ10-A. May not be exactly what you want but it does look nice.
efce090e.jpg  
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #101
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Jim,
I saw that photo, and have to say that I don't care much for the look of the outside fenders. I prefer to keep the CJ look of the bed the same width as the cab.

I have already purchased a YJ for a donor bed. Weather or not I can bring myself to cut it up or not remains to be seen. I pick it up on Tomorrow, and will of course post some photos.

Here is Al's build over on pirate:

I really like the lines...
cj10-pirate.jpg  
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #102
Balvar24
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rock Ridge
Posts: 5,113
I'd cut the YJ tub and chalk one up for the good (CJ) guys. What did you decide on shock towers?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #103
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I'd cut the YJ tub and chalk one up for the good (CJ) guys. What did you decide on shock towers?
I haven't really nailed down a solution yet. Waiting on the tub so I can make some measurements. As for the YJ, I'll know more tomorrow. Stay tuned!
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #104
Machinist
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fulton,NY
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Eric I was over on the Goucho thread looking around and this picture is on there. As soon as I saw it I thought of your build and the bed you're going to put on your CJ10-A. May not be exactly what you want but it does look nice.
what are the tires he has on this awesome rig?Look like a set of muds but I cant tell what kind.
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #105
JoonHoss
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
what are the tires he has on this awesome rig?Look like a set of muds but I cant tell what kind.
those are Goodyears, I believe the stock 'hummer' H1 tires

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3205270...=263602_309572

Hoss
__________________
Quote:
It's hard to say no to yoo-hoo, the name literally beckons...

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.